DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

The guys in Deadgirl are supposed to be douchey.  They're high school kids, dying to be popular and bang countless girls.  They finally have a girl they can do whatever they want with.  The semantics of how she wound up in her condition and what they should do to help her isn't a concern for them.  They're operating completely inside the Id.

Clearing out "My List" on Netflix:

Rampage: Capital Punishment - Uwe Boll's sequel to the surprisingly good Rampage about a guy who loads up on armor and guns and shoots up his town and...gets away.  Now he's decided to take over a TV station and broadcast his "You are all brainwashed" message to the world.  This one is nowhere near as good.  There's just nothing here, really.  A very disappointing sequel to a movie I liked a lot.  3/10.

• Like 1

The guys in Deadgirl are supposed to be douchey.  They're high school kids, dying to be popular and bang countless girls.  They finally have a girl they can do whatever they want with.  The semantics of how she wound up in her condition and what they should do to help her isn't a concern for them.  They're operating completely inside the Id.

True, but you'd expect at least one of them to have some semblance of courage.  The only thing that movie taught me is that all high school kids are inane poofs with no moral compass regardless of whether or not they are popular.

I'll tell you what it taught me.

Movies can determine if you get any action for the next week if you watch them with your significant other. In this particular case the answer is: "No don't touch me, I don't want anyone to touch me ever again."

Went to see Birdman tonight. Really, really dug it. Everyone is praising Keaton, but Ed Norton and Emma Stone were fantastic as well. I probably spent way too much time trying to spot the cuts in the shot. Damned impressive regardless. It was a little too heavy handed in its treatment of critics, but not to Lady in the Water levels of ridiculousness. Didn't pass the Bechdel test either, which is my only other real complaint.

Definite, 100% recommendation (however much that means to you).

Went to see Birdman tonight. Really, really dug it. Everyone is praising Keaton, but Ed Norton and Emma Stone were fantastic as well. I probably spent way too much time trying to spot the cuts in the shot. Damned impressive regardless. It was a little too heavy handed in its treatment of critics, but not to Lady in the Water levels of ridiculousness. Didn't pass the Bechdel test either, which is my only other real complaint.

Definite, 100% recommendation (however much that means to you).

Thank you.  Been wanting to see it badly, but starting to lower my expectations now that mainstream opinions are coming in.  I live in a city where I just missed Whiplash and am not quite going to get Foxcatcher, so I'm just eager to see ANY minor film over the holiday.

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with Norton's performance. It seems strange to say, but it can't be easy to play a believably "great" actor. He's basically a fireball during the scene where he and Keaton rehearse. Great actor and this has to rank as one of his better performances. Everyone is calling this Keaton's comeback, but Norton may benefit just as much. Assuming he's not as much of a dick to work with as the internet tells me he is.

I watched Two Weeks over the weekend for a paper on death and dying that I had to do for a class. Really good indy film with Sally Field who plays a woman dying of cancer and her children come back to see her and as the title implies, she takes a while to die. It's obviously a depressing film and it probably will hit really close to home for anyone who watched a loved one slowly die from any kind of cancer. But it's pretty good none the less if you can find it.

Also watched The Rules Of The Game today in my film class. How have I never seen this film before today? Anyway it's an amazing film and its one my professor says you have to watch over and over to notice every little thing Jean Renior did. He said he's probably seen it maybe 50 times and he's still noticing little things. I can't imagine this film being made today. My professor (Forster Hirsch..if anyone might have come across his books) is a proponent of long shots and long takes. He really hates todays film style with it all being close up's and rapid editing. Had the party scene been done today it would have been a mess of close up's ruining some amazing one take shots.

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with Norton's performance. It seems strange to say, but it can't be easy to play a believably "great" actor. He's basically a fireball during the scene where he and Keaton rehearse. Great actor and this has to rank as one of his better performances. Everyone is calling this Keaton's comeback, but Norton may benefit just as much. Assuming he's not as much of a dick to work with as the internet tells me he is.

I was actually down on Norton in the '90s since there's a good number of his roles that smack you in the face and go "Look!  I'm ACTING!"  Like, people would be high on his acting because the movie tells you he's a great actor. (Primal Fear and The Score are the ones that come to mind, I think you could make an argument for Rounders, might be others.)  But in that sense, it's perfect casting.  The role is right in his wheelhouse.

Flipping past TCM yesterday and THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! II was on, which featured this clip:

Which sounds like someone made up lyrics to the ending of this:

Except GOING HOLLYWOOD came out nearly 30 years before LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

• Like 1

I was actually down on Norton in the '90s since there's a good number of his roles that smack you in the face and go "Look!  I'm ACTING!"  Like, people would be high on his acting because the movie tells you he's a great actor. (Primal Fear and The Score are the ones that come to mind, I think you could make an argument for Rounders, might be others.)  But in that sense, it's perfect casting.  The role is right in his wheelhouse.

I would have bet any amount of money in the 90s that he would have won multiple Oscars by now. I thought for sure he was gonna be a perennial nominee and winner. Now I figure he's gonna have to hope for the Pacino/Newman "Well, he's old now, so we should probably give him one" Oscar. He's not quite the Nicholson/Brando 16 year old me thought he was.

Couple movies for me the last few days:

Reign Over Me - Adam Sandler is Charlie Fineman, a dentist whose life is destroyed when his wife, three children and dog, are aboard one of the planes on 9/11.  Don Cheadle plays his college roommate who sees Fineman wandering the streets four years later.  Fineman has disconnected from the world, retreating into a life of endlessly remodeling his kitchen, video games, and shutting himself off.  Sandler is REALLY great in this.  He shows us Fineman's pain and it is raw and overwhelming.  Cheadle is excellent as always and the rest of the cast does a nice job of rounding things out.  This is a fantastic movie.  The ending is perhaps a bit too easy but the rest is really great.  9/10.

St. Vincent - Bill Murray is Vincent, a crabby old Vietnam vet who just wants the world to leave him alone.  Melissa McCarthy and her son ("Oliver") move in next door.  Oliver and Vincent strike up an unlikely friendship when Vincent becomes his babysitter.  While this movie treads over old ground (the crusty old guy who learns from a young friend, the feel-good ending, the old guy with some tender secrets underneath, the hooker with a heart of gold, etc), it does it really well.  This is funny and touching and well-done.  McCarthy is good in her role, as understated as you'll ever see her, with nary a fat joke to be found.  Here she's just...a normal mom, struggling to make things work.  Anyway, this was really good as well.  8/10.

• Like 1

SNOWPIERCER was goddamn terrific. Bong Joon-Ho is gonna get his chance to do a lot more American stuff thanks to this and he deserves it. Extremely well done. Doesn't throw out gratuitous violence just for the hell of it. Got a lot out of Evans, too. Plus, it's a really great story with some fantastic twists and turns. A couple of plot holes (it's a sci-fi movie, so, duh) but definitely one of the best movies made in recent times. Now I have to watch The Host. On the Tabe scale, an easy 9/10, pushing 9.5.

SNOWPIERCER was goddamn terrific. Bong Joon-Ho is gonna get his chance to do a lot more American stuff thanks to this and he deserves it. Extremely well done. Doesn't throw out gratuitous violence just for the hell of it. Got a lot out of Evans, too. Plus, it's a really great story with some fantastic twists and turns. A couple of plot holes (it's a sci-fi movie, so, duh) but definitely one of the best movies made in recent times. Now I have to watch The Host. On the Tabe scale, an easy 9/10, pushing 9.5.

I mostly agree. I thought it went too dark just for the sake of it a couple times, but a good watch. . . 

Rewatched a movie last night:

Juno - Ellen Page is Juno, a 16-year old who gets pregnant by her boyfriend Paul, played by Michael Cera.  Juno isn't ready to be a mom so she's going to give up her child for adoption by a couple played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman.  The movie is about Juno's relationship with Paul, with her dad & stepmom, and with the adoptive couple.  In general, this movie works pretty well.  I think I liked it more the first time I saw it but it's still pretty good on a second watch.  It feels fairly authentic though Juno's dialogue is often really rude and is disaffected youth to the extreme and ends up being grating and annoying frequently.  There are a lot of funny moments and the cast is terrific.  Page and Cera were basically made for their roles and the supporting folks (Garner, Bateman, JK Simmons, and Allison Janney and a great cameo from Rainn Wilson) are all fantastic.  Anyway, this one is pretty good, right at the Tabedoza line - 7/10.

Well, a lot of that was on the source material, too. I like how he dealt with it. No flashbacks to any of the dark stuff, but the twists at the end really were great and made me care about the journey of everyone, really. 

I didn't know it was an adaptation. Your right that he handled the really unpleasant stuff well. That guy has a bright future in the business. . . . 

Also watched The Rules Of The Game today in my film class. How have I never seen this film before today? Anyway it's an amazing film and its one my professor says you have to watch over and over to notice every little thing Jean Renior did. He said he's probably seen it maybe 50 times and he's still noticing little things. I can't imagine this film being made today. My professor (Forster Hirsch..if anyone might have come across his books) is a proponent of long shots and long takes. He really hates todays film style with it all being close up's and rapid editing. Had the party scene been done today it would have been a mess of close up's ruining some amazing one take shots.

That's how i feel about Kane. I still find new things in it or things i'd forgotten over the years whenever i re watch it.

Just watched Nightmare Castle with Barbara Steele and I'm not really sure where to start. This movie is a trip. Barbara is in love with a mad scientist who happens to incidentally be a complete sadist and tortures her and her on-the-side lover to death in their castle, so he can steal both their hearts and bring youth to his aged servant who he's secretly in love with (?). Then after said mistress is back to normal, he immediately marries his previous wife's relative who is Barbara with a blonde dye job (?!). Then he starts poisoning her to make her go crazy but a long-ago friend of hers shows up and they try to kill him too... Jesus, this is very Italian. Even though none of that makes any sense it's a really awesome gothic horror with some surprisingly lurid bits for the time period, and as always Barbara is a goddess. And it has a score by Ennio Morricone (?!?!). 

And I was given this by a friend who found it for 50 cents at the dollar store because it's in the public domain. And also on the DVD is a Fritz the Cat cartoon and Beast from Haunted Cave, one of the early Roger Corman films. You can't make this stuff up.

That's how i feel about Kane. I still find new things in it or things i'd forgotten over the years whenever i re watch it.

People knock Kane for a boring story and the film I find they really mean is Rules of the Game.

Yeah it's pretty and it's well made but honestly it did nothing for me. I'm a heathen savage.

I do agree with your film professor in spirit though, man. His basic point is sound.

Between you saying Rules of the Game is boring, and people being dense as fuck in the Art of Wrestling thread - I'm quitting this board. It's just too much. This place ain't fun anymore.

I could write a detailed post on why The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the all time great films if it will help.

Yeah, but do it quick, because Odessa is practically packing my bags for me with that last post.