DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Watched Starry Eyes last night (not to be confused with Bright Eyes).  That's gotta be one of the top 5 horror movies of the year.  Very good performance from the lead, and the third act, in terms of sheer violence, is right on the level of any of the new wave French extreme horror from the late 2000s.  I was expecting things to get crazy, but not that crazy.

Watched Starry Eyes last night (not to be confused with Bright Eyes).  That's gotta be one of the top 5 horror movies of the year.  Very good performance from the lead, and the third act, in terms of sheer violence, is right on the level of any of the new wave French extreme horror from the late 2000s.  I was expecting things to get crazy, but not that crazy.

I've seen this on a few top ten lists for horror this year and want to check it out. Did you get it on demand?

I've seen this on a few top ten lists for horror this year and want to check it out. Did you get it on demand?

I didn't, but VOD seems to be the way to go to watch it legitimately right now.  http://starryeyesfilm.com/where-to-watch

Stuff I watched this weekend:

V/H/S: Viral: Awful, though I got a kick out of skaters vs Mexican zombies.  I think the second V/H/S movie was the best of the bunch.

Cold in July: Started off really strong, then went in the most dull direction possible.  I guess you could say it was the tale of a normal schlub's obsession with the dark underworld or something but I just didn't see the point.  I really wanted to like it but I guess I'll say it was just average.

Predestination: What the fuck did I just watch?

Exodus: Gods and Kings more or less reaffirmed that God is giant asshole who kills kids to prove a point.

Also all the major players in Egypt at this time were inexplicably white.

You're probably a barrel of monkeys for everyone on your facebook feed, huh?

"HEY EVERYONE. DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS CONTROVERSY!" 

I wonder if there's an emoji for rancid movie theater popcorn falling out of your mouth.

Nightbreed: The Director's Cut was amazing. Since I hadn't seen the film in so long I forgot about some of the goings-on and it felt like there was a lot more character development and some interesting twists, even a significant but solid change 

in the finale. Decker doesn't survive!

It did feel like all of its two and a half hours but I didn't mind at all. Such a visionary film, it's like Barker's version of Alice in Wonderland in a way and I'm not surprised it only found its audience way after the fact. They don't make movies like this anymore; they don't let them.

Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter split up.

Obviously very sad for the children. But at least Burton might find some new people to cast in his films. One problem with Sweeney Todd was that Carter couldn't sing at all.

I wonder who gets custody of Depp.

• Like 3

God's Pocket is pretty solid, but drearily shot to say the least. The crazy thing is Richard Jenkins getting to screw Christina Hendricks in it. Seriously, WTF? Also, the killer from True Detective gouging that guy's eye out was pretty fucking unexpected. By the way, what is that dude's name? Even after digging through Wikipedia and imdb I can't figure it out for some reason. 

As far as one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last roles being a doomed sadsack, you can read into that whatever you like. 

Nightbreed: The Director's Cut was amazing. Since I hadn't seen the film in so long I forgot about some of the goings-on and it felt like there was a lot more character development and some interesting twists, even a significant but solid change 

in the finale. Decker doesn't survive!

It did feel like all of its two and a half hours but I didn't mind at all. Such a visionary film, it's like Barker's version of Alice in Wonderland in a way and I'm not surprised it only found its audience way after the fact. They don't make movies like this anymore; they don't let them.

Glad to hear it's on Netflix. I'll definitely be checking this out tonight.

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says Die Hard is the best christmas movie ever.

I know It's a Wonderful Life teaches you the value of humanity and how your life is worth living, no matter what. I know Wizard of Oz examines the eternal struggle between longing for home and wanting to go out in the world.

But Die Hard has cultured German terrorists and Reginald VelJohnson so...

• Like 1

Back from Into the Woods. James Corden KILLED it and is looking for nominations after this. Johnny Depp was awful and woefully miscast. The biggest surprise and best part was Chris Pine, who asserted all the Shatner he didn't use in Star Trek to be the hammiest Prince alive.

Much ado were made of supposed changes, when really all the changes were...

Rapunzel doesn't die and there isn't an Agony reprise where the Princes complain after being married (as a result, also no Snow White and Sleeping Beauty). Cinderella's Prince and Cinderella have an amicable break-up and that's the last we see of him. Rapunzel's Prince rides away with Rapunzel in the ruins of the tour after having an argument with the Witch. Also, since Corden is the narrator, there isn't the Mysterious Man/Narrator