DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Annie was a blast. My 8 year old son who loves superheroes and hobbits and wrestling told me afterwards that Annie was the greatest movie he ever saw in his whole life.

My daughter was equally thrilled and told me I had to get Hard Knock Life for her playlist immediately.

It was as expected, but the modernization added rather than took away from it, and the performances were fine; Diaz's Hannigan was a bit more sympathetic - more pathetic than malevolent, and Foxx was a little manic in his earlier scene than probably necessary but was more toned down later.

But the biggest highlight was definitely Moon Quake Lake.

I watched Frozen. It's a good Disney movie and all, but I'm not quite sure how it ended up being as massive as it is, though. I thought Elsa was really under-written too.

I guess kids like the idea of having snow powers?

I watched Frozen. It's a good Disney movie and all, but I'm not quite sure how it ended up being as massive as it is, though. I thought Elsa was really under-written too.

I guess kids like the idea of having snow powers?

A big part of it was lack of competition last Christmas, then everything pretty much snowballed. . .

It hit the zeitgeist for some reason. Over a year later, it was still the hottest Christmas gifts this year, and Disney even cashed in by releasing a sing a long edition DVD for the holidays.

I liked it. I loved Idina Menzel getting to cut loose on huge songs. But I don't think it was any better than, say, Tangled.

You could tell it was a Disney movie because at the end the people of Arendelle didn't have a revolution and commit regicide.

I mean, she was crazy and froze the entire kingdom and almost killed everyone.

Just saying: Marie Antoinette got her head cut off for a lot less.

I dispute the crazy part, and lets be honest you really gonna try to take on someone who can freeze an entire kingdom?

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who was wondering how Frozen became so big. I had pretty much the exact same thoughts as Fowler.

Oddly enough, I found the characters much more endearing on Once Upon a Time.

lets be honest you really gonna try to take on someone who can freeze an entire kingdom?

Frozen is really about a pair of spoiled bourgeois siblings who rule over their oppressed, poor and scared underlings using a dated and corrupt imperialist capitalist system and all-powerful sorcery.

All those little girls think it's about sisters and snowmen and whatnot, but they're actually being secretly fed Karl Marx-style propaganda.  

• Like 2

Finally saw Under The Skin.  Wanted to say that the creepy music whenever anyone is about to get killed deserves to be on the level of the themes from Psycho or Jaws.  Like you should be able to hum it and people should know what movie you're referencing.

Although I'm also noticing that it bears a strong resemblance to the Warp Whistle from Super Mario 3.

Edit:  This is what I'm talking about!  Maybe more like a slowed-down first half of the warp whistle song.

Finally saw Under The Skin.  Wanted to say that the creepy music whenever anyone is about to get killed deserves to be on the level of the themes from Psycho or Jaws.  Like you should be able to hum it and people should know what movie you're referencing.

Although I'm also noticing that it bears a strong resemblance to the Warp Whistle from Super Mario 3.

I was going to rent this yesterday and my local vid. store didn't even have it. Bah!  So instead I watched 'Enemy'.   I didn't really like it.

The Mystery of Natalie Wood: I watched this when there was nothing else on. Better than most Lifetime movies production-wise but I'm not sure what that's saying. I don't know why it's called "the mystery of Natalie Wood" when it pretty much backs up the official story: she tripped and fell into the water and it was 100% accident.

Anyway, I think the real lesson here is you shouldn't have a situation on a boat where everyone, including the captain, is shitfaced out of their minds. I don't buy the stories about murder at all, but that was a big fuck up. Shouldn't "don't drink and drive" have applied to boats in 1981?

And the guy who played Walken was not good. At all.

Is that Snow White and the Huntsman any good? It's on telly soon, but the only people who've said it's worth watching are girls I don't trust.

I was going to rent this yesterday and my local vid. store didn't even have it. Bah!  So instead I watched 'Enemy'.   I didn't really like it.

Under the Skin is streaming free on Amazon Prime if you have it.

Under the Skin is streaming free on Amazon Prime if you have it.

I don't, so I rented it from elsewhere, but thanks, anyways!  I hope folks with Amazon Prime check it out if they haven't.

Edit:  This is what I'm talking about!  Maybe more like a slowed-down first half of the warp whistle song.

Man, this movie...as I was watching it, I wasn't really sure if I was liking it or not, and even after it was over, I wasn't sure, but I kinda think I liked it.  Maybe really liked it.  It sure sticks with you, though.  There are two scenes that are running on repeat it my brain (Along with that song!)

The first is the scene with the two dudes suspended in the black goo/black water who see each other and reach out and touch each other and then the one guy just IMPLODES and there's a little sound effect that is nothing on its own, but combined with what happens and punctuating the silence, it just NAILS you right in the guts.  I'm probably going to end up having nightmares about it.

and the second is the ending where

the guy tries to rape her and tears her skin and she peels off the skin to reveal the black/colorless creature inside and stares at her former face in her hands as it continues to blink and then the guy sets her on fire and she stumbles through the woods aflame before collapsing in the clearing as the snow falls

Two just incredible scenes.  At times it almost played like a 104 minute music video (Which makes sense because Jonathan Glazer is my absolute FAVOURITE music video director, if you find it, check out the video for Unkle's 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' which just floors me every time).  I bet you could write an amazing film studies paper about feminism using this film.

With school out for the month, I can afford to watch some movies for enjoyment and not just because I have to write a paper on them.

Hercules (The Rock's version)

I watched this on blu ray. I really enjoyed it. I assume I watched the extended version since I think I clicked on it (but my bluray remote can be a lil wonky). Anyway the visuals in this were really good. I liked the general idea which I assume is from the graphic novel that the Hercules stories are really trumped up myths. Herc and his band of mercinaries were great. Ian McShane was the best of them all. His whole I'm ready to die thing was great. Also The Rock had a great deadpan oneliner that should have been the tag line of the movie. They left it off for a sequel and I hope they do one because Ian McShane needs scenes with his chariot of death.

Fucking Centaurs

A Million Ways To Die In The West

I liked it. Only complaint I would have is there was so much cursing for the sake of cursing. Hey it's an R rated movie so lets just keep saying fuck. Seth really needs to step out of his wheelhouse though. This movie was basically him doing stuff he can't do on family guy. Aside from that I thought it was funny. Seth shouldn't have cast himself as the lead though. I think the role would have worked a lot better if it were anyone but him.

Switching Channels

One of my favorite movies from the 80's and having just watched "His Girl Friday" on Monday night since RAW was so terrible, it was fun seeing the updated parrells in this movie. I actually bought the movie on laserdisc off Amazon. Did you know Amazon had people who sold laserdiscs? Well you do now. Anyway I couldn't really appreciate Burt Reynolds doing his best Cary Grant immitation when I was like 7 years old when this movie came out. Reynolds screwing with Kathleen Turner to ruin her attempted marriage to Blane (Christopher Reeve playing Ralph Belamy only less dense and more of an asshole) and keep her working at the news station was great. "6,660 no shows at O'Haire for flights earlier tonight..." The best part of the movie is the stuff with Ike Roscoe hiding in the copier. A great homage to the roll top desk scene but instead of drama its straight up slapstick. The stuff with the media is so relevant today. You can just imagine a newsroom with reporters bullshitting a story to make it sound more impressive.

Is that Snow White and the Huntsman any good? It's on telly soon, but the only people who've said it's worth watching are girls I don't trust.

That film may be the prime example of a trailer being absolutely amazing and the movie itself being pretty flat.  

That film may be the prime example of a trailer being absolutely amazing and the movie itself being pretty flat.  

It looks really good, I don't find Kristen Stewart objectionable like a lot of people and it got Charlize Theron, Ian McShane and Toby Jones pretty decent paydays. Other than that, there is nothing to recommend it.