DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I guess we should just get a competitor to make a movie about Sony behind the scenes now.

Meanwhile, WHERE ARE MY SHO KOSUGI RECOMMENDS?! Y'all dropping the ball.

You need to watch:

Enter the Ninja w/Sho and Franco Nero

Pray for Death

Ninja III: Electric Boogaloo is completely worthless and stay away from Black Eagle.

Blind Fury aka Zatochi is a White Dude is also awesome even if Sho's only appearance is at the end fight with Rutger Hauer.

Oh, and fuck critics.  James McTeigue's Ninja Assassin has enough blood and ridiculous violence to satisfy the inner campy movie ghoul.  Sho is king sized as the evil Ninja clan leader.

Reading about Enter having Sho, Franco Nero, AND Susan George AND Christopher George had me sold on that lineup alone. Also, I was sold on Blind Fury just finding out it was Rutger as Zatoichi.

I'm hoping this and Pray are uncut in their re-releases like Revenge was?

I completely forgot about Ninja Assassin. Like, brain-wiped.

How does wanting to make good money in the easiest way possible make McCarthy less of a person? She's doing what so many have done for years, but somehow she's expected to do better? How does that even make sense?

It's the principle of being a lazy fuck, I suppose.

Boy, A Million Ways to Die was truly terrible.  I laughed three times (At the various people being killed at the fair, at Gilbert Gottfried as Abraham Lincoln (Legitimately the funniest part of the movie) and

at Christopher Lloyd as Doc working on the Delorean though that was more of a laugh of recognition then a genuine laugh, like "Oh, ha, it's Doc!" with no real punchline

but, man, if any man is in dire need of an editor, it's Seth MacFarlane.  I actually ended up greatly enjoying 'Ted' in spite of what I thought were rather middling-looking previews, so was according this one the same "Eh, it has to be better than the previews".  It was not.  For one, why is it almost two hours long?!  The whole central plot of Seth MacFarlane vs. Neil Patrick Harris is completely pointless, takes up almost 70 minutes, then is thrown away in a two minute showdown.  It's one of the biggest "I have a bunch of jokes to do and I'm going to cram them in here so let's extend this meaningless plot" then gives way to the EXACT SAME PLOT with MacFarlane and another character.  For two, it read like it was written by third-graders. Once again, I liked Ted but this one was just chock full of diarrhea, semen, urine.  It seems like after the success of 'Ted', MacFarlane was given free reign to do whatever he wanted.  This was really, really bad.

St Vincent has her in it and is very worthwhile.  She's not terrible - really - she has just chosen her to stick her "I'm a fat chick who screams and does bathroom humor!" shtick.  She makes boatloads of cash, so more power to her.  But she really CAN do better.

Chris Farley died, so everyone put their third rate Belushi rip-off scripts on ice. High Fidelity was a hit, so they sent them all to Jack Black. Black got sick of that and decided to be a funny rock star instead. Bridesmaids was a hit, so everyone re-wrote their third-rate Belushi rip-off scripts to make them female-friendly. Because when you've been in the business for a while and made no money, and then you get a hit, your first instinct is to cash in and pander.

Is she really Jennifer McCarthy's cousin?

• Like 1

Boy, A Million Ways to Die was truly terrible.  I laughed three times (At the various people being killed at the fair, at Gilbert Gottfried as Abraham Lincoln (Legitimately the funniest part of the movie) and

at Christopher Lloyd as Doc working on the Delorean though that was more of a laugh of recognition then a genuine laugh, like "Oh, ha, it's Doc!" with no real punchline

but, man, if any man is in dire need of an editor, it's Seth MacFarlane.  I actually ended up greatly enjoying 'Ted' in spite of what I thought were rather middling-looking previews, so was according this one the same "Eh, it has to be better than the previews".  It was not.  For one, why is it almost two hours long?!  The whole central plot of Seth MacFarlane vs. Neil Patrick Harris is completely pointless, takes up almost 70 minutes, then is thrown away in a two minute showdown.  It's one of the biggest "I have a bunch of jokes to do and I'm going to cram them in here so let's extend this meaningless plot" then gives way to the EXACT SAME PLOT with MacFarlane and another character.  For two, it read like it was written by third-graders. Once again, I liked Ted but this one was just chock full of diarrhea, semen, urine.  It seems like after the success of 'Ted', MacFarlane was given free reign to do whatever he wanted.  This was really, really bad.

We're going to do The Shakiest Gun in the West, but like....with absolutely no subtlety and Sarah Silverman and Giovanni Ribisi doing hamfisted sexual humor.

• Like 1

I don't watch that much movies, I do mostly watch TV shows, but the Interview is a movie that definitely interests me and a movie I'm definitely going to the theater to watch with my girlfriend. Probably on premier night on Christmas eve.

Someone on this board a couple years ago brought up this "game" where you make a list of movies you've put off for whatever reason and you watch them over the year. My wife and I started playing this, so we'd pick 12 movies each that we have to watch together. We're about to finish a second year of doing this, so next year we've turned it into a kind of game, like a scavenger hunt. We still do 12 movies each but 9 of them have to fit this criteria:

1. A film by a director whose work you've never seen before
2. A film from a Summer Blockbuster from the last 5 years.
3. A film from a random country - We decided to go with the Czech Republic.
4. A film from a random year. We picked 1939
5. A film featuring a specific agreed upon actor: In our case we randomly chose Mads Mikelson
6. A specific genre. We decided that this needed to be particularly specific, so instead of horror it would be "found footage horror" We went with silent comedy, because I don't watch much comedy and Silent films are important.
7. A film from the They Shoot Pictures Don't They List http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm
8. The top ranked film you haven't seen from the director's Sight on Sound Poll. http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandsoundpolls/2012/directors/We went with the directors poll because we're working on making a film and it felt apropos.
9. A movie the other one has recommended to you in the past

Anybody else do anything like this?

I don't watch that much movies, I do mostly watch TV shows, but the Interview is a movie that definitely interests me and a movie I'm definitely going to the theater to watch with my girlfriend. Probably on premier night on Christmas eve.

It's probably the last work of fiction we'll see that truly mocks and satirizes North Korea. I assume everyone else will be to scared to say anything, lest their bitchy and somewhat racist emails get leaked to the world. 

They were spitballing on the news about the film just being released on DVD or some shit. Yeah right, like a film that publicized with TV ads every ten minutes isn't gonna be in every damn US theater on Christmas. Then they actually said something to the extent of "government agencies say there are no plans for attacks on theaters".  :rolleyes: I can see it now: "North Korean attacker charges theater with gun; immediately surrenders and begs for popcorn"

I bought the Criterion Zatoichi box as a gift to myself. Now, I've got no time to watch 25 Zatoichi films, but I'd like to hit some of the best ones over the Xmas break. Suggestions? I've seen the original and VS YOJIMBO.

Someone on this board a couple years ago brought up this "game" where you make a list of movies you've put off for whatever reason and you watch them over the year. My wife and I started playing this, so we'd pick 12 movies each that we have to watch together. We're about to finish a second year of doing this, so next year we've turned it into a kind of game, like a scavenger hunt. We still do 12 movies each but 9 of them have to fit this criteria:

5. A film featuring a specific agreed upon actor: In our case we randomly chose Mads Mikelson
6. A specific genre. We decided that this needed to be particularly specific, so instead of horror it would be "found footage horror" We went with silent comedy, because I don't watch much comedy and Silent films are important.
7. A film from the They Shoot Pictures Don't They List http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm
8. The top ranked film you haven't seen from the director's Sight on Sound Poll. http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandsoundpolls/2012/directors/We went with the directors poll because we're working on making a film and it felt apropos.

That sounds like fun. Much better than my girlfriend's current idea of watching every movie on the AFI 100, even if we've seen it already.

I'd love to do this, but my fiance' scoffs at the idea of me suggesting that I finally expose her to The Godfather.

Well 9 is actually kind of a test, because we don't actually tell the other one what to watch. You have to REMEMBER a movie that the other one has told you a billion times you should watch but you never do. So it would still be your fiance's pick, she'd just have to come up with another movie that you've told her she has to see. It's basically the "you think I never listen" selection.

Side note, the first year we did this my wife chose to watch Godfather, and she was pretty disappointed in the whole experience. I think her feeling was that the story on a whole isn't particularly interesting.. I'm not a huge fan either. There's some amazing bits through out though. It's certainly something to be seen.

Also while I'm here I'm going to recommend everyone hop on NEtflix and watch Werner Herzog's Rescue Dawn, if you haven't already. I've been meaning to watch it for forever. Christian Bale gives a much more interesting performance than you'd expect. He's actually kind of goofy in this. An anti-war film that feels like a spiritual successor to Aguirre, about a pilot shot down and imprisoned by the Vietnamese, BEFORE the war starts. Steve Zahn and Jeremy Davies are back up and I wish Steve Zahn got more substantial work. He nails this performance.

Oh and when it comes out in January everyone watch Why Don't You Play In Hell? a movie about making movies for the Yakuza that is funny and full of Tarantino levels of blood and gore. One of my favorite movies of the year.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Still can't wrap my head around this.  The American spirit when confronted with demands to surrender has come a long way since defiantly thumbing our noses at evil dictators...

"To the German Commander, "Nuts!" The American Commander."

The German captain said, "We will kill many Americans. This is war." Harper then responded, "On your way Bud," he then said, "and good luck to you."

...to this nonsense of meekly letting the bad guys win.  Someone at this studio needs to grow a sack and tell these Norks "On your way Bud."