DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I watched PARKLAND the other night and it was really good. Paul Giamatti gave an amazing performance as Abraham Zapruder. I actually found myself tearing up a couple of times especially during the scenes where they were frantically trying to revive JFK. The good thing about the film was they didn't take any sides on the conspiracy theories of the day. It just stuck straight to the events of everything from the moment JFK was shot to Osawald's hastly funeral that happened the exact moment JFK was being buried four days later.

I'm really shocked Giamatti didn't get a nomination of some sort for best supporting actor.

Parkland was OK, but IMO the whole thing felt a bit redundant. It wasn't saying anything new or even bringing a terribly fresh perspective on things. I do think when doing the JFK deal, you have to take a side one way or the other. I don't think you can be neutral on it.

Definitely I've always found Zapruder to be a really interesting figure, and wish they'd done the movie around mainly him.

I watched PARKLAND the other night and it was really good. Paul Giamatti gave an amazing performance as Abraham Zapruder. I actually found myself tearing up a couple of times especially during the scenes where they were frantically trying to revive JFK. The good thing about the film was they didn't take any sides on the conspiracy theories of the day. It just stuck straight to the events of everything from the moment JFK was shot to Osawald's hastly funeral that happened the exact moment JFK was being buried four days later.

I'm really shocked Giamatti didn't get a nomination of some sort for best supporting actor.

Haven't seen it but conspiracy folks will tell you the movie plays loose with the facts. There's even an anti-Parkland book already.

Watched Enemy for the second time last night.  I was looking to confirm some theories I had from the first time I watched it - instead, I noticed a whole bunch of stuff that I'd missed, and now I've kind of got a new take on it, but haven't totally figured it out.

There are Lynch movies like Lost Highway and Inland Empire where I know I'm never going to understand it and don't even bother to try figuring it out.  There are Nolan movies like Memento and Following where I can watch it a couple of times and feel like I've got it 100%.  Enemy is right in between.  I've almost got it, but not quite, and I feel like there is something to "get" but I don't know if I ever totally will.

More people need to see this.

I'm dying to see it, because I LOVED the novel it's based on.

Oh it looks like it's playing at the Music Box this weekend. So I guess I'll let you know what I think about it in a couple of weeks.

I'm dying to see it, because I LOVED the novel it's based on.

Oh it looks like it's playing at the Music Box this weekend. So I guess I'll let you know what I think about it in a couple of weeks.

Seriously, send me a PM on it once you watch it and get some thoughts together, or do a board post or whatever.  I will reply with a massive wall of text.

So...Need for Speed was a movie. My girlfriend summed it up best saying "It was so terrible, but I also loved it for how dumb and ridiculous it was." I felt the same. It's really ham fisted for the majority of the movie and there sometimes isn't the greatest feeling for speed when these cars are going close to 200 MPH. What really got me was how fucking short everyone in the movie was. Not like it's a big deal, but I couldn't stop fixating on how no one in the movie was close to 6' tall.

Like shit. It was barely featured until the end. That was my other problem. The big race obviously doesn't occur until the end, but all of them look so identical that it's hard to make out who is who. There's a sweet ass sweet Shelby Mustang, but if you're a car nut, you've seen that many times over. The big one is the super, super, super gorgeous Koenigsegg Ageras, which has been featured on Top Gear, among other places.

Arguably the best part of the film, but its not saying much, he's basically playing himself.

There's no character development at all or any effort to make anything seem important that is supposed to be. The whole plot is essentially driven by the deaths of two background characters who are on screen for about 10 minutes combined, both death scenes are completely anti-climatic to boot. No suspense as to whether the theme of "are these monuments worth dying for" is ever seriously questioned or acted upon, or whether Cate Blanchett will trust the Americans more than the Germans or the Russians. Everything just happens at a leisurely pace. They just wander through war zones being shot at, and no-one really ever sells how dangerous it is.

The film takes all the worst parts of Oceans Eleven and tries to make a PG version of Inglorious Bastards out of it.

Biggie and Tupac: Nick Bloomfield is pretty awful, IMO. I liked the Aileen Wurnous doc he did (mainly because he was just letting her talk), but everything else I've seen from him is really lacking. Kurt and Courtney was absolutely awful (anyone who thinks an utter trainwreck like Courtney Love is capable of pulling off a murder and successfully getting away with it needs their head examined.)

This is in the same vein. Here he just picks seemingly random people from the fringes of that world, who each have about as much credibility as Lance Armstrong, and uses it to weave together some elaborate conspiracy. He points out that people have motives but doesn't seem to bother with the fact that there has to be more than a motive to prove someone's a murderer. Only true part that resonates is when Biggie's mom points that both her son and Tupac were basically killed by their own stupidity. She's the sole sympathetic person in this film.

• Like 1

Went to go see Divergent last night having no knowledge of the books. It was...

surprisingly really good. I think I'm going to head to my library after work and check out the books in the series. I liked it much better than Hunger Games, but I have not seen Catching Fire yet.

Biggie and Tupac: Nick Bloomfield is pretty awful, IMO. I liked the Aileen Wurnous doc he did (mainly because he was just letting her talk), but everything else I've seen from him is really lacking. Kurt and Courtney was absolutely awful (anyone who thinks an utter trainwreck like Courtney Love is capable of pulling off a murder and successfully getting away with it needs their head examined.)

This is in the same vein. Here he just picks seemingly random people from the fringes of that world, who each have about as much credibility as Lance Armstrong, and uses it to weave together some elaborate conspiracy. He points out that people have motives but doesn't seem to bother with the fact that there has to be more than a motive to prove someone's a murderer. Only true part that resonates is when Biggie's mom points that both her son and Tupac were basically killed by their own stupidity. She's the sole sympathetic person in this film.

I get what you're saying about some of the people on the periphery of the story, but a lot of the stuff about the LAPD's Rampart Division was ground breaking at the time, and led to various lawsuits & investigations. I believe thru Ms Wallace's lawsuits, the mystery was pretty much resolved along the lines of what was alleged in the docu.

I'm about 15 minutes into WHITE HOUSE DOWN.  I hate this movie so much.  Every little detail.  The sets, like of people's apartments even.  The absurd lighting in every room.  the overly detailed mannerisms and overly graceful ways that people move and pose and touch their lapel.  The desperate attempt to make the protagonists cute before the action starts.

The hyper closeups on things they want to make sure we don't miss.  The typical Roland Emmerich unbelievably cliche dad with troubled daughter thing..."I'm sorry I missed your talent show."  Talent show?  It's like they just filmed the outline he made up when he was first throwing placeholder ideas out.

Dad: I'm Sorry I missed your important personal event

troubled daughter: distant dismissive comment

WHY IS EVERYTHING SHOT IN CLOESUP???  WHY IS EVERY ROOM IN WASHINGTON LIT BY SHARDS OF BRILLIANT SUNLIGHT LEAKING THROUGH BLINDS AND SLASHING ACROSS WALLS?????

Hey that girl from the weird BING "scroogled" commercial about how she sees nothing but commercials at school because of Google is in this too.  She's everywhere lately.

I hate this and I'm quitting.