DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

This is so awesome and points out just why Coach's Wife is one of the best characters ever. I wish she were my wife.

894374_coach.jpg

We don't judge.

Until I saw the name "Taylor" in the link, I thought he was talking about Christine Armstrong too. Coach was a great sitcom as well.

• Like 2

So I'm 3/4 of the way through season 2 of The Shield.  It definitely has gotten a lot better than the first five episodes.  I think we've climbed up to "average" now.  The show strikes me as the TV cop show equivalent of ECW - too many of the characters are heels, the show tries to do something "extreme" in every episode and it's wildly overrated by its hardcore fans.  I still find plenty of moments that are laugh-out-loud bad but they are fewer in number, though I am still generally unimpressed with the acting in the show.  It does seem almost like Dexter with how everybody that can get in the way of Vic just ends up dead.  Waaaaaaaaaaay too many dead bodies in this show.  I don't know that I'm "hooked" on the show now but I'm at least pulled in enough that I want to keep watching.

The acting gets better as the show goes on.  They bring in some pretty big name actors in the later seasons and somewhere in there Walt Goggins (Shane) turns into one of the best TV actors on the planet.

I do agree that The Shield is somewhat overrated around here.  Give me Goggins next show over this one any day.

Anyone else watching Dan Harmon's Rick and Morty show on Adult Swim?  I watched the pilot, dug it, and I've heard the proceeding episodes are good too.

Hannibal doesn't even premiere until February 28th?  Blah.

Sad old-timey TV news: Richard Bull, who played Mr. Oleson on Little House on the Prairie, died yesterday at 89.  He was absolutely wonderful as the straight man to both Nellie and Mrs. Oleson, both as the henpecked husband/father and keeping them grounded in reality when necessary.

Sad old-timey TV news: Richard Bull, who played Mr. Oleson on Little House on the Prairie, died yesterday at 89.  He was absolutely wonderful as the straight man to both Nellie and Mrs. Oleson, both as the henpecked husband/father and keeping them grounded in reality when necessary.

DA DA DADA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Pitt. How good he is depends on what Pitt shows up. Bored, mumbling Pitt (Last Days) or charismatic, show-stealing Pitt (Funny Days, some episodes of Boardwalk Empire.)

Oh c'mon, he was playing a junk-addled Kurt Cobain right before committing suicide. It was pure Method acting. I think the problem with the film is Van Sant really did not care about trolling the audience with the scenes repeating over and over and OVER again. I kept coming back to it at different points on satellite and never knew where I was. 

After watching Family Guy every night for about two years on Adult Swim I really cannot stand it any more. The racist and sexist jokes especially grind my gears (ha ha), and I'm usually impervious to that.

Pitt usually gets compared DiCaprio, mainly because of the looks. I actually think he's far more charismatic. Doesn't have the same amount of acting talent as Leo though, obviously.

One thing about him is why he isn't a lot better and more famous than he is. Not sure if it's his (alleged) off-screen antics or bad script choices.

Pitt usually gets compared DiCaprio, mainly because of the looks. I actually think he's far more charismatic. Doesn't have the same amount of acting talent as Leo though, obviously.

One thing about him is why he isn't a lot better and more famous than he is. Not sure if it's his (alleged) off-screen antics or bad script choices.

More charismatic than LEO?

What Michael Pitt has going for is that he does look genuinely unhinged. Guy shows up on screen and it's like, yeah, something messed up is about to happen.

I remember flicking through TV and come across an old episode of Dawson's Creek he was in. I was half expecting him to take an axe to Pacey or Jen.

Eh, Leo's not exactly Pacino, imo. He's get by mostly on acting.

Gatsby and Wolf. Silence. Pitt has nothing on him. There are lots of tv guys better than he was in Boardwalk.

We both know he hasn't seen Wolf.  It was clear enough in the trailer that Leo is no Michael Pitt.