DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I will say this, for all the trashing 24 gets, they did the "White House Under Attack" storyline better than Olympus has Fallen or White House Down did. Like way better, especially since they didn't have 1/10th the budget.

Often a lack of budget leads to all sorts of creative solutions that being able to throw hand after fist of money at a problem wipes out.

Michael Pitt is playing Mason Verger in Hannibal. Seems like a weird choice, but Pitt was really good in Funny Games playing a total psychopath.

AWESOME.

I was kinda wondering if this was the part they cast Jeremy Davies for, but I guess not.

Pitt is tremendous, though. I totally quit watching BOARDWALK EMPIRE after they killed him off. Hopefully they can keep his crazy ass in line long enough to get to the payoff of the storyline.

I like how Fuller can go really outside the box when it comes to casting. Katharine Isabelle is great, but she's also spent years stuck in the b movie horror genre so wouldn't be your first choice for a big role on a network show. I'm a little surprised NBC didn't make him cast someone more mainstream.

RE: Pitt. How good he is depends on what Pitt shows up. Bored, mumbling Pitt (Last Days) or charismatic, show-stealing Pitt (Funny Days, some episodes of Boardwalk Empire.)

So....how great was James Earl Jones on Big Bang Theory last night?

Yes!  Such a nice change from the normal sitcom idea of "Big star is annoyed by someone being a superfan."  And he really sunk his teeth in it and seemed to have a lot of fun with it.  Especially the ding-dong-ditch with Carrie Fisher.....I literally laughed out loud.

• Like 1

I will say this, for all the trashing 24 gets, they did the "White House Under Attack" storyline better than Olympus has Fallen or White House Down did. Like way better, especially since they didn't have 1/10th the budget.

If we are all honest, one of those movies should have been adapted and been Die Hard 5 . . . .

Since it's a Saturday night and I'm 100 years old, I'm watching a rerun of MODERN FAMILY on USA.

I'd just like to give a shout out to one Edward Norton for a really funny guest spot as the bassist from Spandau Ballet.

And I'd also like to give a nice big sloppy FUCK YOU to whoever this Chrisley motherfucker is.  And whoever decided to start running commercials in December nonstop for a show that starts in March.

I know Chilton is meant to be a really unlikeable character but the fact that the dude survived getting every major removed (sans his heart) by a murdering psychopath and is up and running around a few months later makes me respect him somewhat. That's bad ass, right there.

RE: Mason Verger. It's a pretty tough character to play. A series full of mass-murdering monsters, and he manages to be the worst one by far. Man even turned Hannibal frigging Lector into a good guy.  

I feel like an idiot for just now realizing it, but that's Vide cor meum playing over the last scene of the season finale of HANNIBAL. I think that song was the best of the HANNIBAL movie. Which also then reminded me that the opera scene from earlier in the season was an homage to the opera scene from that movie.

This is going to be a long post about Family Guy.

To mark the 15th anniversary of Family Guy, IGN’s done a list of the top fifteen episodes:

15. North by North Quaghog (season four)

14. I Dream of Jesus (season seven)

13. And Then There Were Fewer (season nine)

12. Something, Something, Something, Dark Side (season eight)

11. 8 Simple Rules for Buying My Teenage Daughter (season four)

10. Quagmire’s Dad (season eight)

9. Sibling Rivalry (season four)

8. Meet the Quagmires (season five)

7. Da Boom (season two)

6. PTV (season four)

5. Road to the Multiverse (season eight)

4. McStroke (season six)

3. Blue Harvest (season six)

2.  Road to Rhode Island (season two)

1. Petarded (season four)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/01/top-15-family-guy-episodes

Here’s my attempt going on memory as I haven’t watched them in ages, it’s mostly different to the above:

1. PTV (fourth season)

2. Wasted Talent (second season)

3. Petarded (fourth season)

4. One If by Clam, Two If by Sea (third season)

5. Lethal Weapons (third season)

6. Whistle While Your Wife Works (fifth season)

7. Saving Private Brian (fifth season)

8. Brian Wallows and Peter Swallows (third season)

9. Road to the Mutliverse (eighth season)

10. E. Peterbus Unum (second season)

11. Brian: Portrait of a Dog (first season)

12. Brian in Love (second season)

13. Road to Rhode Island (second season)

14. The Thin White Line: Part One (third season)

15. Ready, Willing and Disabled (third season)

I was introduced to Family Guy before a Christmas long ago as a work colleague of my Dad’s lent us a couple of the first box sets. In the UK the box sets are different to the USA box set on which is most annoying. The differences can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Guy_DVDs.

I bought all of them up to season ten which collects the remaining season eight episodes and the first four season nine episodes (you know what I mean now). Family Guy season three probably gets my vote as the best ever season. Season five was the last great one. Season eight was the last full series of Family Guy I watched as I was getting tired of it.

What are posters favourite Family Guy episodes, favourite season and thoughts on Family Guy today?

I haven't been watching much TV outside of Justified, so imagine my delight when I check the DVR and 3 new episodes of Suburgatory on there!

Sadly no Alan Tudyk thids season ,but after last season his characterreally wrapped up his arc (besides Tudyk is showing up on Justified). The dog is a welcoem addition to the cast. Its a shame Malin ackerman was already doing something else because an extended arc with Tessa/George and Alex would've been emotional, but they would have made it still funny. Still the way they handled it made sense given how they had established Alex (Ackerman) the last season. I think the big moment will be when Dallas and George finally resolve their issues so both can move on (that's if George isn't already utting it to the dog walker by next episode).

Jeremy Sisto continues to be awesome and Jane Levy? Jane Levy plays one of the best believably written teens on TV!

I love this show!

James

So I'm 3/4 of the way through season 2 of The Shield.  It definitely has gotten a lot better than the first five episodes.  I think we've climbed up to "average" now.  The show strikes me as the TV cop show equivalent of ECW - too many of the characters are heels, the show tries to do something "extreme" in every episode and it's wildly overrated by its hardcore fans.  I still find plenty of moments that are laugh-out-loud bad but they are fewer in number, though I am still generally unimpressed with the acting in the show.  It does seem almost like Dexter with how everybody that can get in the way of Vic just ends up dead.  Waaaaaaaaaaay too many dead bodies in this show.  I don't know that I'm "hooked" on the show now but I'm at least pulled in enough that I want to keep watching.

On a sidenote: I find the opening to be really annoying.  The "oooh, look how edgy we are" font they use for the credits is just lame.  The way the actual text moves is lame.  And good God, the theme song.  Good enough song but, man, it's like 5x the volume of the rest of the show and drives me nuts.  Really guys, it's OK to make it just a little louder.  You'd still be all edgy and cool, I promise.

Another sidenote: The Amazon video app on the PS3 is, well, not terrible but nowhere near as good as the one for Netflix.  Netflix's app isn't great but it has so many nice little features that the Amazon one doesn't - automatically starting the next episode in a show, skipping over the "previously on..." bits, grouping all seasons for a show into one thing instead of treating each season as separate, and so on.  And everything is just faster, with fewer button presses needed.

• Like 2