DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

None of the shows listed above House of Cards are better than House of Cards.

None of the shows listed - anywhere on those lists - is better than West Wing.

But I also agree with you about House of Cards.

• Like 1

According to Uproxx(some site) these are the 25 best shows you can stream on Netflix(in descending order): Parenthood, Raising Hope, New Girl, Terriers, Better Off Ted, Sons of Anarchy, Bob's Burgers, House of Cards, Parks and Rec, The Office, Luther, Buffy, Dr. Who, West Wing, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men, Archer, Freaks and Geeks/Undeclared, Arrested Development, Sherlock, Friday Night Lights, Louie, Breaking Bad.

25 others they listed(alphabetical order): Alias, Awake, Battlestar Galactica, Cheers, Childrens Hospital, Damages, Dexter, Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23, Frasier, Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The League, Longmire, Lost, My Name Is Earl, Portlandia, Psych, Scandal, Sleeper Cell, Top Of The Lake, The Walking Dead, The Wonder Years, The X-Files.

Your mileage may extremely vary.

Finally finished up Friday Night Lights, what an amazing ride it was. Worth every bit of hype it was given, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new show to watch or is on the fence about whether or not to check it out. So I need a new show, only catch is it has to be on Netflix. Help?

On this forum, there's probably about five people total, who actually watched this show, but TERRIORS was so good.  It only lasted one season before getting cancelled, but everyone who missed it should give it a shot.  It just wasn't popular when it ran.  I wish it was around now because it's a Netflix friendly show.

Battlestar Galactica is an outside the box pick too.  It has its hiccups and everything is not wrapped up neatly yet it's entertaining and not as scifi as its title leads you to believe.

If you're looking for shows still on tv, Hannibal and The Americans had good first seasons.  They're not on Netflix but I think they may still be on Hulu or their network sites for free until the new seasons start airing.  Maybe.

Currently watching Lifetime's Lizzie Borden movie. Um, yep. It's as sensationalistic as you'd expect (Lizzie just wants to party, woo!), I can't really complain, they didn't skimp on the gore shots. Christina Ricci is clearly enjoying the heck out of playing insane.

It's insistence on using lots of modern music (Black Keys type stuff) is annoying as all get out. Distractingly so.

If you're looking for shows still on tv, Hannibal and The Americans had good first seasons.  They're not on Netflix but I think they may still be on Hulu or their network sites for free until the new seasons start airing.  Maybe.

The first season of HANNIBAL just became free to watch on Amazon Prime this week.

Honestly, if your show isn't on Netflix these days, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

We're gonna need some Wire updates, Tabe!

It will always be the best of the best in my mind.

Time is short on my Prime trial, so I jumped to The Shield instead. Still early, no opinion yet.

Time is short on my Prime trial, so I jumped to The Shield instead. Still early, no opinion yet.

No opinion on the ending of the 1st episode? What a fantastic pilot.

Currently watching Lifetime's Lizzie Borden movie. Um, yep. It's as sensationalistic as you'd expect (Lizzie just wants to party, woo!), I can't really complain, they didn't skimp on the gore shots. Christina Ricci is clearly enjoying the heck out of playing insane.

It's insistence on using lots of modern music (Black Keys type stuff) is annoying as all get out. Distractingly so.

Someone on another board I follow said the same thing about the music--cool, but too much of it and distracting.  Still, I'm interested in doing a Lizzie Borden/Flowers in the Attic double feature when I get a chance.

No opinion on the ending of the 1st episode? What a fantastic pilot.

There was a thread a while back about best combo of pilot/finale. The Shield and Friday Night Lights were the two most common answers and I wouldn't disagree.  I would maybe add Breaking Bad to the list now that it's all over, but the pilot doesn't really hit you like the other two.

Yeah, the end of the pilot comes out of nowhere. Vic is quickly built up as maybe the toughest TV cop ever with the interrogation room bit, and you're lead down a path where you think the Strike Team will be weary of Terry, but then...yeah...I've watched that pilot so many times and each time it's a total motherfucker. It's also awesome how that pilot is like dropping a boulder in a lake because the ripples just constantly continue, even through the series finale.

Someone on another board I follow said the same thing about the music--cool, but too much of it and distracting.  Still, I'm interested in doing a Lizzie Borden/Flowers in the Attic double feature when I get a chance.

*Spolier Alert* in that I'm going to mention the end of the case, but it was like 150 years ago, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

The only time the music really worked was when the jury announced "Not guilty" and immediately the heavy blues rock riff kicks in and Lizzie walks down the courtroom steps with the smuggest look possible on her face. I may have cheered a bit at that part.

I watched about half an hour of Flowers in the Attic....it was really not good. It was just badly acted, but wasn't reveling near enough in its own trashiness or hysteria to be entertaining.

I heard Heather Graham was AWFUL as the spoiled mother.  Too bad, the original wasn't great but was decently acted.  I was hoping the new Flowers in the Attic would fare better.

Yeah and Don Draper's daughter and the rest of the kids were not any better. Ellen Bursytn was good, but it's such a one note character that she could probably have sleep walked through it.

From what I saw anyway, I did check out pretty quickly.