DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Difference is that everyone on Seinfeld was written to be a schmuck on wheels, that's not the impression I get from the writers on Girls

Exactly, that was kind of the gimmick with Seinfeld for the last few seasons.  There were all pricks, and they made sure you never felt any empathy for them.

As per most comics, I'm sure they're "cool guys" to hang with, but as far as bringing the laughs, the majority of their attempts are cringeworthy.

Difference is that everyone on Seinfeld was written to be a schmuck on wheels, that's not the impression I get from the writers on Girls

Exactly, that was kind of the gimmick with Seinfeld for the last few seasons.  There were all pricks, and they made sure you never felt any empathy for them.

I'd say this probably started after the fourth season, with The Puffy Shirt being the earliest example.

Martin Short seems like he's a pretty cool guy, but he was always my least favourite SCTVer. That said, he's great in Mars Attacks and I have an irrational love for Captain Ron.

They played an old Ed Grimley sketch on a recent SNL highlight show, and I was astounded at how unfunny it was.  I don't know if it was just because I was an adolescent in the early  80s, or because comedy has changed...but that character was huge back in the day.  But it just can't be resurrected.

Martin Short played one of the best villains on Law & Order: SVU. It's worth checking out if you catch the rerun on USA.

He does have that great kind of comedy face that is so expressive and empathetic, and it's so easy to turn that creepy.  Certain comedians who play naive clownish characters are great at this.  There eyes can get this childish glint that is sort of terrifying in an adult.  Robin Williams is an obvious example. 

Some day Wil Forte will be playing serial killers on CBS.

Sleepy Hollow finale was great:

-Ichabod bitching at Siri

-a heel turn that genuinely took me by surprise

-Zombie George Washington!

- Also, the bit where the cops were apparently willing to believe that a frail 12 year old girl in a wheelchair violently murdered someone with her bare hands. I can't help but wonder if this wasn't at least partly because she was black. That was some shit, man.

- Is is just me or does it seem like the Cranes have (albeit unintentionally) fucked over the entire world? 

• Like 2

Is anybody here watching Shameless? That's a show filled with horrible people that you can't help but love.

The only really bad person on there is Monica, even Frank can be nice at times, especially in the US version where they have him knowing and being supportive (in a way) of Ian's homosexuality.

That's how I feel.  Seinfeld was meant to be light hearted fun, whereas Lena Dunham seems to feel like every bit of dialogue or every ill-fitting jumper she wears is making some sort of bold statement.

Is anybody here watching Shameless? That's a show filled with horrible people that you can't help but love.

The only really bad person on there is Monica, even Frank can be nice at times, especially in the US version where they have him knowing and being supportive (in a way) of Ian's homosexuality.

Frank is despicable basically 99% of the time, but William H Macy is just so awesome that it's hard to hate him most of the time.  I get the impression that his acceptance of Ian's homosexuality is more a case of Frank just can't be bothered to worry about anything that doesn't affect him.  Ian's sexuality has no effect on him so he just doesn't care one way or another. 

There are some sleazy people around them, but overall the Gallaghers just seem like a bunch of people reacting to lousy situations and rarely trying to get out of them; instead just accepting that things will only get to a certain degree of OK.  But yeah, you can't help but like them.  Kevin and V are both extremely likable too.  Fiona is the most troubling character at times......so often she's ALMOST got her head above water and things just crash down....sometimes by no fault of her own, but just as often by bad decisions.  She comes across as someone I would want to know, but that also might be strongly affected by the fact that Emmy Rossum is sizzling hot.

You know what, I retract my statement, you guys are right. They may have really bad character traits and decision-making skills but they are all actually good people inside and are indeed usually stuck in untenable situations. Sometimes they put themselves in those places and sometimes not. After watching the last episode I'm getting worried about Carl however, he seems to get creepier as he ages. Which I'm sure is the point.

• Like 1

You know what, I retract my statement, you guys are right. They may have really bad character traits and decision-making skills but they are all actually good people inside and are indeed usually stuck in untenable situations. Sometimes they put themselves in those places and sometimes not. After watching the last episode I'm getting worried about Carl however, he seems to get creepier as he ages. Which I'm sure is the point.

He's also a perv in the UK version. Lip and Ian constantly catch him treating his body like an amusement park ride.