DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Difference is that everyone on Seinfeld was written to be a schmuck on wheels, that's not the impression I get from the writers on Girls

That's how I feel.  Seinfeld was meant to be light hearted fun, whereas Lena Dunham seems to feel like every bit of dialogue or every ill-fitting jumper she wears is making some sort of bold statement.

I think any show that opens with the protagonist delcaring they want to the voice of a generation is always going to come off as self-important and annoying.

Goldblum was fun, and Law & Order UK is brilliant

Yeah, Goren/Eames was one of my least favorite pairings on the show.   D'Onofrio's performance was alright, and I like Erbe, but the Goren character was written as a jack of all trades with a deductive intellect that was basically supernatural.  Sherlock Holmes was less competent.  Episodes basically devolved into Goren knowing everything about everything and Eames standing around holding his coat.

I much preferred the Mike Logan episodes - particularly his first season on the show when Noth was paired with Annabella Sciorra.  And I liked Goldblum, even though his partners and the writing wasn't the best (the season with Saffron Burrows was pretty meh).

Haven't seen all of Law and Order: UK, but most of what I have seen was top notch.

Any thoughts on SyFy's "Bitten"? I watched the first two episodes yesterday back to back. A few of the characters are somewhat interesting and the plot is pretty generic but it wasn't terrible to sit through.

I already watch Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Being Human so unless they bring more to the table than Laura Vandervoort in tight clothes (which admittedly could hold my attention for a few more episodes) I can see myself dumping this like Sleepy Hollow.  

I watched King of Queens for the first time yesterday. It came on after American Dad at 10:30.. And after doing some research on King of Queens, how in the fuck did it make it past the first season? It was so painfully unfunny, I couldn't make it through one show.

And yes, I am ranting about a show that was canned 7 years ago. It takes me a little time to catch up on TV. :P

• Like 1

By "hot" do you mean "ragin' bitch"?

I don't get it. The comedy of the show is a fat guy who is content with life, but has a wife who does nothing but rag on his fat-ness and whines about how she thinks she knows everything. In return, the fat guy is happy to take the abuse. The fat guy isn't even funny and there's a grumpy and old man living in their basement.

Maybe I just don't get "white people" humor. I've always denied it as a kid because I thought funny is funny. I guess not any more.

King of Queens was probably one of the most popular American shows ever here in Germany.

At one point the channel just said "screw it" and started airing King of Queens for 24/7 and people would not stop watching it.

Kevin James is pretty much hailed as a godlike figure over here.

So William Devane's Secretary Heller has been promoted to POTUS in the new season of 24, which I think means 24 and the DARK KNIGHT trilogy are now officially in a shared universe.

I still can't believe we're getting another season of 24.

By "hot" do you mean "ragin' bitch"?

I don't get it. The comedy of the show is a fat guy who is content with life, but has a wife who does nothing but rag on his fat-ness and whines about how she thinks she knows everything. In return, the fat guy is happy to take the abuse. The fat guy isn't even funny and there's a grumpy and old man living in their basement.

Maybe I just don't get "white people" humor. I've always denied it as a kid because I thought funny is funny. I guess not any more.

I think there's some humor to be had in the show.  It's not all-funny-all-the-time but it's not unfunny either.  She definitely is pretty unlikable at times.  Kinda like...

Debra Barrone on Everybody Loves Raymond.  For a character that I gather we're supposed to like, I find her unbearable.  She's mean, she's insulting, she constantly belittles Ray and is just generally unpleasant.  The episode where she's having raging PMS and Ray tape records her and she gets mad at him for not being understanding is the perfect example.  Yeah, I guess it's OK to be a raging psychotic.  I mean, why on earth would any normal person avoid being around somebody who's flipping out like that?  OF COURSE you should just be allowed to act like that.  UGH.

• Like 1

I like King of Queens just fine. Its not high concept but it has some genuine great episodes (the one with Eddie Money is pretty genius). Its just an update of The Honeymooners with the ambition of Ralph Kramden given to the wife and the husband being the one who is happy where he's at so long as its with her (and not just because she kinda hot).

James

• Like 1

Two more:

Harry Barnes was president when the show started.  Palmer was the democratic nominee during the first season.  I don't think Barnes ever appeared onscreen.

Palmer's vice president temporarily became the acting president during season 2 (Prescott was the name of the character).