DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

We just caught the end of Deliverance this weekend.

In general, I think the show's really fun when they do the interpersonal stuff and pretty terrible at the sci fi stuff. The Tarr's season arc was easily the highlight of the show. I agree with people that they did a terrible job of worldbuilding, focusing on all the elements I don't care about and sweeping the stuff I do care about under the table. When the massive destruction happened, we were so cut off from that area as a meaningful entity that it hardly mattered at all. 

I think the biggest sin though was that the stakes of Kenya's "return" and what was behind it were just so amazingly low. I like Niles a little, especially how brazen they are with him being a sociopath. that especially played out in the finale with him supporting Amanda above all, not for good reasons, but because he's a creepy nutjob, but it all felt like such a waste. I don't know if there's every been so labyrinthine a plot element in any TV show I've ever seen with such relatively low states. It was crazy. 

Yeah. That's my favorite ep I've caught in the last few days, at least.

Is that the "Evita" one? Cause that was outstanding.

The Evita episode is so old that even I know it (season 15, after looking it up), so I guess he is talking about something else.

Mildly controversial thought: For all the (deserved) praise the first season of Twin Peaks gets, most of the stuff about the townspeople usually wasn't that interesting. Everyone talks about Cooper's dreams and Audrey dancing and all that, but there's so much nonsense with Joan Chen and the mill and it almost becomes a chore to sit through.

And did Lynch not notice that Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs) was an appallingly bad actor? Some of his work is cringeworthy.

I don't think Lynch particularly cared about the quality of performance he was getting from the supporting cast. In a way, crappy performances just added to the weirdo soap opera atmosphere of the town, which is what he was interested in.

Nah, I don't think they were meant to be bad. With the exception of Ashbrook most of them weren't "funny" soap opera-style bad, just mediocre.

I think Lynch just has an inconsistent eye for talent. His thing is that, because he's so visual, he usually casts people mainly on what they look like. Or has meetings with them just to pick up their quirks and mannerisms. I remember Justin Theroux mentioning he never even auditioned for Mulholland Drive, he just had a few meetings with Lynch and then he was in.

Unsurprisingly, this has led to patchy results. For every Sheryl Lee or the guy who played BOB, who were amazing finds, you've got Lara Flynn Boyle or Dana Ashbrook,

Man if only Wiseguy or Tour Of Duty got half the props Twin Peaks gets, maybe Netflix would get their rights so I could watch them again...

I still fucking adore Twin Peaks, but fuck yeah Wiseguy and Tour of Duty need to be out there. Especially Wiseguy. That show was fucking awesome.

Man if only Wiseguy or Tour Of Duty got half the props Twin Peaks gets, maybe Netflix would get their rights so I could watch them again...

I still fucking adore Twin Peaks, but fuck yeah Wiseguy and Tour of Duty need to be out there. Especially Wiseguy. That show was fucking awesome.

Wiseguy - and The Equalizer - not being on Netflix is a travesty indeed.

I wish Lynch would make a return to TV. OK, he was probably too weird for television in the 90s, hence why Twin Peaks didn't last long and the Mulholland Drive pilot got passed on, but now in the current climate his ideas would be probably embraced.

Watching the Netflix series of From Dusk til' Dawn, and, as a pretty big fan of the original movie, this is really entertaining. It's close enough to the movie that it doesn't feel off, gives a lot of backstory.

Although, if Seth Gecko calls everyone 'ramblers' one more time, I'm going to go and punch whoever thought that just using old Tarantino dialogue would make it better in the nuts.

Also! Shasta McNasty plays Sex Machine! And he's a professor! And he's pretty awesome, actually.

Also! Also! The chick that plays the Juliette Lewis character looks like Lindsey Lohan's little sister.

They are running THE DONNA REED SHOW on MeTV now.  Am I the only one who has nostalgia for this show not because I was alive in the 50s when it first ran, but because I was alive in the 80s when it was rerun on Nick at Nite?

What's really weird is that the Nick at Nite reruns of the show were as long ago today as the original run was compared to the Nick at Nite reruns.

That's a swirling cosmos of horrible realization.

• Like 3

Remember when BOARDWALK EMPIRE was going to be HBO's next big thing? Seems like ages ago.

The whimper started tonight.

They went all the way to 1931, which means Rothstein is gone.

I am seriously pissed. They couldn't even give one of the best characters on the show a death scene! Fuck this show.

I've been watching the new version of Battlestar Galactica on Netflix since it expires on October 1st. Got through the first season and it's not bad. I'm a big fan of Edward James Olmos and he's been great in it. Not a big fan of the lady that plays the president or Starbuck. I thought Starbuck was Kate Mckinnon from SNL before I looked it up. The whole Cylon thing reminds me of the Borg. Season 2 started off good so I"ll keep watching.