DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

The simpsons might be the worst example of making a top 5 favorites list and then changing it again 5 minutes later.

How do you decide between Marge vs the Monorail vs Cape Feare vs Bobo vs The softball episode vs kamp krusty vs the germans vs the strike episode?

For me, Kamp Krusty and Cape Feare are two that are locked in my personal top five. After that? Well then it gets tough.

That Frank Grimes guy should lighten up

I know he's not everyone's favorite, yet I still think the whole idea behind a "normal", realistic person getting completely fed up with the Simpsons' reality and characters was quite clever.  It's dark but I was into it.

I always forget the laughing at the funeral.  I remember flinching when that first aired and realizing there was something pretty intense going on that I wasn't quite getting all of.  It still has that effect, even after 10 years of IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY and shit...maybe because it's still in the Simpson's world and still kind of extreme for that.

That Frank Grimes guy should lighten up

I know he's not everyone's favorite, yet I still think the whole idea behind a "normal", realistic person getting completely fed up with the Simpsons' reality and characters was quite clever. It's dark but I was into it.

Oh, exactly. It's one of my favorite episodes. The whole " normal person comes to Springfield and then losses his mind because of how crazy/stupid everyone is" is absolutely brilliant and pushed the show to, I think, the absolute brink of how dark they could go.

Oh man, I was just thinking about Whodunit a couple days ago while watching this program called The Quest. Quest has basically the same premise except instead of a mystery/Clue format, they use LARPing instead. It's not nearly as good as Whodunit was though - mostly because they lack a character as fascinating and charismatic as Giles.

I really hope there is a S2 although with the summer winding down I imagine we'll have to wait until next year to actually see it. I can't imagine them airing it during the actual TV season because as fun as it is, it'd get absolutely obliterated against first run shows.

For years now ABC has been airing weird reality shows during the Summer. I miss I Survived A Japanese Game Show, Glass House not so much. Did ABC air The Mole? Celebrity Mole might have been the greatest cast of all time.

Has anyone else hung in there with The Strain or The Leftovers? I thought this past Sundays episodes for both shows did a good job of bringing characters and plot points (big and small) together. I think The Strain has more potential to be a good if not great show (I'm a mark for Vampire stuff) and even though I enjoy Leftovers, I have a feeling when it's all said and done, I won't like whatever answers/explanations they give us.  

it's a bit simplified, but the post-1999 stuff just doesn't hold my interest enough to watch it for hours on end. The Simpsons being on the air for the last 14 years is probably a testimony towards people not wanting to drop a stale tired thing in favor of an uncertain replacement.

Hasn't the whole "The Simpson's began being really awful after season __" been debunked enough at this point? Everyone loves the show growing up, but then grows out of it at a certain point, and that's when it gets bad.

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily arguing that. I'm just curious if there are gamefaq boards or a tumblr equivalent or whatever the hell the kids use these days with a bunch of 22 year olds on them who wax poetic about the joys of season 21 or some such? "Man, the show was  way better in 2009!" I've heard people say that about, let's say, Saturday Night Live, but not the Simpsons.

I'm not sure The Simpsons ever got "terrible" as people like to say. The early years all the way up until around 1999 are incredible and then I'm not sure because I was no longer watching it every single week. There's some good... I guess there's some not so good..  but every time I do catch a recent episode it's not something I would call "bad".  Maybe average but not outright bad.

• Like 1