DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/15 - 5/21/2024 - Fear of a Malakai Black Planet

With that immobilizer it's a knee injury, not a break.

Smoking a blunt in a wheelchair wearing a Dory Funk shirt is maybe the coolest anyone has ever looked.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

They have good chemistry, I’m interested to see if they keep this going past the PPV. It happens often in AEW 2 women build so steam in a program for the title. They have the match at the PPV the champ moves on to another challenger then then momentum stops for the other person.

I want a good ol' fashioned territory-style eternal blood feud, like Flair/Wahoo, R&Rs vs Midnights, Dusty/Funk, Magnum vs Tully... where the dudes just always hate each other forever and it is never over. I kinda feel like Hangman & Swerve were headed in that direction, but Willow & Mercedes could certainly get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, caley said:

What is the deal with Serena Deeb's flag? I can't think of a dorkier thing for a face to do then stand at the top of the ramp holding a flag and smirking at your opponent. 

16 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Her outfits and hairstyle are much, much worse.

Nothing Deeb does is face-like. Everything about her act screams heel. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ace said:

Quoth Meltzer:

We may need a replacement for the replacement.

That's up there with guys being injured by the trap door in WCW. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

With that immobilizer it's a knee injury, not a break.

Smoking a blunt in a wheelchair wearing a Dory Funk shirt is maybe the coolest anyone has ever looked.

Fractured tibia, apparently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Broken leg, apparently.

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

Fractured tibia, apparently.

How long would that put you out? 5+ months would be my guess. Considering what I've got and the falls I've had, I've been really lucky I haven't broken anything serious. Just a finger, thumb and two toes.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:24 AM, The Green Meanie said:

I've said this from the very beginning. Couldn't stand her back then, and I hate her even more that she's come into a company that I really enjoy.

I hope she beats Willow and never loses a match just to piss people like you off.  Will be awesome  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/16/2024 at 2:22 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'll put this diplomatically: Mercedes' biggest benefit is her loyal army of stans. Or should be, but those people aren't making a difference in the ratings. So what are all the obsessives doing? Are they just Fed-pilled? I'm on record as not liking her. I don't think AEW needs her. 

Opening tag was fun. Toni is great. Okada sounds like Arnold in his inflection. I'm seriously debating buying this PPV if I can sneak out of work on time (fat chance as I'm writing this at work, on my day off).

On 5/16/2024 at 2:24 PM, The Green Meanie said:

I've said this from the very beginning. Couldn't stand her back then, and I hate her even more that she's come into a company that I really enjoy.

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hope she beats Willow and never loses a match just to piss people like you off.  Will be awesome  🙂 

Interesting seeing how Sasha Banks/Mercedes Mone splits opinion, you either really like her or don't. I always have, more wrestlers have their best match with her. I'd rank the NXT Four Horsewomen:

4. Charlotte Flair.

3. Becky Lynch.

2. Bayley.

1. Sasha Banks.

I wish she was still in WWE.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, Go2Sleep said:

It's been kinda obvious for a while that they're slow-burning Mercedes as a heel by big-timing the AEW roster.

Only obvious to a few of us....  the rest of the internet has let this "I'm SOOOO EXCITED RENEEEEE"  heel schtick go right over their fucking heads Lol.   But that's also an issue with fans who treat WWE and AEW as an US vs. THEM when it's really just..... wrestling...

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Interesting seeing how Sasha Banks/Mercedes Mone splits opinion, you either really like her or don't. I always have, more wrestlers have their best match with her. I'd rank the NXT Four Horsewomen:

When it comes to Mercedes, there's an elephant in the room that I'm not wanting to address on this platform because we are supposed to be having a good time on this board just talking wrestling.  

I don't want to bring U.S. politics into it but if you lived here,  you'd understand where I'm coming from when I see the online discourse surrounding her and her career decisions over the years. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When it comes to Mercedes, there's an elephant in the room that I'm not wanting to address on this platform because we are supposed to be having a good time on this board just talking wrestling.  

I don't want to bring U.S. politics into it but if you lived here,  you'd understand where I'm coming from when I see the online discourse surrounding her and her career decisions over the years. 

I have no idea what you're talking about here. I dislike her because I think her promos aren't good and she looks sloppy and awkward in the ring to me. I'm not knocking you for really enjoying her work. She just doesn't do it for me. Her shtick feels forced, in my opinion. If you get enjoyment from it, that's great for you. I wish all the people who are crazy for her online would watch her in AEW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about here. I dislike her because I think her promos aren't good and she looks sloppy and awkward in the ring to me. I'm not knocking you for really enjoying her work. She just doesn't do it for me. Her shtick feels forced, in my opinion. If you get enjoyment from it, that's great for you. I wish all the people who are crazy for her online would watch her in AEW. 

Maybe they would if she wasn't thrown on TV 2 months before being cleared and appearing in segments that aren't usually advertised.  But that's another story....  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

How long would that put you out? 5+ months would be my guess. Considering what I've got and the falls I've had, I've been really lucky I haven't broken anything serious. Just a finger, thumb and two toes.

I'd say 6+ months, if it's a complete fracture. That's the bigger, more load-bearing bone in the lower leg. Kingston being a bigger a guy, in his 40s, and trying to get back to pro wrestling instead of just everyday mobility are all things working against him here.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 12:39 PM, Technico Support said:

How long until Mercedes turns heel and we get the 3D Chess apologists telling us Mercedes' stilted, wooden promos were all done on purpose because she's supposed to be portraying a sports entertainment character?

Just quoting myself here, no reason…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It’s kind of bullshit to say something like this.  And if you’re going to accuse everyone here who disagrees with you about Mercedes of that, at least have the courage of your convictions and say what you want to say instead of half-assing it.  I know exactly what you’re talking about and look, just because one person here said something about Mercedes in the vein of what you’re alluding to, it doesn’t mean you can paint every person who simply doesn’t find her to be a good performer with that brush.  That’s a load of shit and is unfair to a large percentage of the people in this community.  Do better.

• Like 7

Definitely not on either end of the Moné spectrum. I like her just fine. She's a good wrestler. She should have very good matches with a lot of AEW's talented roster. That's cool. 

Intensely hating certain wrestlers/individuals is a trademark of an extremely weird and somewhat concerning small group of internet posters. 

• Like 8

Trust the process guys 😂. She's turning heel with her muscle back-up robbing Willow of the title at DoN. Whether that's Stat, Kamille or someone else, she's getting a Diesel to her HBK.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It’s kind of bullshit to say something like this.  And if you’re going to accuse everyone here who disagrees with you about Mercedes of that, at least have the courage of your convictions and say what you want to say instead of half-assing it. 

This is quite the misinterpretation of my post because while you admitted that there are people here on that wave,  what my post actually said is "online discourse" which means everything....  

...And if you're someone who thinks she isn't a good performer, that's fine but I really don't think it's as subjective as you are making it out to be.  Calling her a mid performer or a bad performer is no different than saying the same thing about someone like Claudio.  You can say it but you look foolish doing so. 

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Just quoting myself here, no reason…

While we're here.... I don't think you've been following the story.  Mercedes came in the same way Punk came in with this big "I missed you guys so much!" hoopla in her hometown etc...  but it was VERY quick following that where we started to see the REAL Mercedes come to surface.  She's been interrupting Willow and stealing her spotlight for weeks now.  The commentators have been pointing it out.  She's put on the "aww gee whiz guys" fake smile and disingenuous tone but the commentary and Willow herself having been speaking the truth.  

The last two weeks fast-forwarded that slow burn into being a heel outright.  'Double or Nothing' will likely be the final step.  

I should have known better than to bad mouth her (not saying her name or quoting so he isn't summoned) with her biggest supporter around. Expressing my opinion and being told I'm foolish and maybe someone alluding to racism? I don't know what that other but is about but yeah, heaven forbid I don't like a wrestler someone else does. This whole discussion is stupid and I'm not going to engage you anymore. I don't have any problem with any posters here and I'd like to keep it that way but being insulted for thinking someone is overrated by her obsessives doesn't sit well with me. 

• Like 3

On 5/17/2024 at 2:17 AM, The Green Meanie said:

Her outfits and hairstyle are much, much worse.

She is very internet over and very live crowd not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

She is very internet over and very live crowd not.

Her first big babyface return promo went over but after that it fell off a cliff. It's a shame because any time I've heard Deeb interviewed out of character, she's so naturally likeable. Why can't she just be that?

I guess we can call that the "Nyla Rose Conundrum."

What’s weird is that AEW’s women’s division is full of “catty female” tweeners like you’d expect from 2010s WWE. I don’t get how that happens.

• Like 3