Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/15 - 5/21/2024 - Fear of a Malakai Black Planet


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Swerve vs Brian Cage match was really good. Ever since Cage arrived in AEW, he's not really had a singles match that went long. They've kept him in tags and multi-man deal

I promise I'm not saying this to be the "Well akshully" guy, I'm saying it purely because I really, really liked the match: B Cage went 20 vs Hangman on PPV during the pandemic (though at the same time, idk if that necessarily fits your definition of 'long' - it was probably realistically ~18 with walkouts). They were first on the main card, and the atmosphere was great (I believe it was the first time fans were allowed back in Daily's, and on an aesthetic level, it was also timed nicely with the sunset lol) - so yeah no argument at all, I just wanna highly recommend that one if you didn't catch it at the time

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Then Harley Cameron and Toni Storm are in the ring, and the AEW camerawork is doing the "AEW camerawork during a women's match thing". Taz asks Tony Schiavone if he's OK, and Tony says "I'm fine, just a little wet." (uncomfortable puase) "Nothing to do with the match, it's thanks to Jack Perry". Doesn't mention that he got a drink poured on him, for anyone who came in late.

Settle down, Tonywood Schinetico.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dax reddened the fuck out of Okada's chest with only like, two chops. His chest was redder than Dax's head! Hopefully Okada doesn't start getting that atrophied central pec gap like Jericho and Scott Steiner have. It's a wonder that more people don't (unless it's not actually from chops; Nobody seems to know exactly).

Dax managed to somehow have TWO "Only way this match ever happens is in Fire Pro or 2K!" matches in the space of 4 days. But that streak will almost certainly end now that Cash's legal problems are at an end, unless they randomly book FTR vs the Rock n Roll Express on Rampage or some shit.

Dax Harwood had underrated chops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I promise I'm not saying this to be the "Well akshully" guy, I'm saying it purely because I really, really liked the match: B Cage went 20 vs Hangman on PPV during the pandemic (though at the same time, idk if that necessarily fits your definition of 'long' - it was probably realistically ~18 with walkouts). They were first on the main card, and the atmosphere was great (I believe it was the first time fans were allowed back in Daily's, and on an aesthetic level, it was also timed nicely with the sunset lol) - so yeah no argument at all, I just wanna highly recommend that one if you didn't catch it at the time

Beat me to it, mate. Double or Nothing 2020.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the camera floating between over the shoulder shots during the Ospreay/Strong segment. Gave some motion and depth to what is typically a flat, static scene of two guys talking at each other on most wrestling shows.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I enjoyed the camera floating between over the shoulder shots during the Ospreay/Strong segment. Gave some motion and depth to what is typically a flat, static scene of two guys talking at each other on most wrestling shows.

Great shout. I also noticed a lot more jib shots during entrances, which I really enjoyed and wish they would do more of - they were just so much cleaner IMO than the straight-ahead ramp shot where 1/3 of everything is outta frame (for obvious hard-cam-side-reasons). This same thing came up last week too with the way they shot the Serena/Storm segment, but I'll repeat it here: really loving the experimentation with this sort of thing as a nice offset to some of the new presentation/graphical choices I haven't necessarily enjoyed quite as much (this is once again my polite way of saying 'fuck the apron/barricade LEDs').

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Beat me to it, mate. Double or Nothing 2020.

It was actually DoN 2021.

@Zakk_Sabbath Definitely wasn’t the first time fans were allowed back into Daily’s Place either, since Sting’s debut in December 2020 had fans.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll just add that the HoB/Copeland stuff does nothing for me. When Julia comes back I'd like to see her and Brodie split off and wreck shit. Or have Skye take over Julia's spot, pair her with Brodie and have Julia find a monster of her own to do battle. Either way, I'd have Black lose to Copeland and Brodie take the belt off him. That could lead to his removal from House of Bland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, AxB said:

Then Harley Cameron and Toni Storm are in the ring, and the AEW camerawork is doing the "AEW camerawork during a women's match thing". Taz asks Tony Schiavone if he's OK, and Tony says "I'm fine, just a little wet." (uncomfortable puase) "Nothing to do with the match, it's thanks to Jack Perry". Doesn't mention that he got a drink poured on him, for anyone who came in late.

 

Can only imagine the response if Nigel was there.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, DoN 2021 was so much fun with it being the first time they had a full crowd since the pandemic.  Really fun matches and I really loved how they ended Stadium Stampede.  It was a lovely transition from the empty stadium stuff to a full crowd once again.  It felt really great to see at the time and I should watch it again.

Last night's show was really fun with my only gripe being Jericho's stuff.  I can see what he's doing but I just don't care for it at all.  Maybe it was the stinker of a match from Dynasty on my mind, maybe it's me not getting over his wife taking part in...well, you know.  But I'm done with Jericho and Hook needs to get far away from him.  Joe trying to motivate him felt like a lifeline to this dumb angle and I hope Hook moves on to get that rematch.  I know some here like it and maybe I'm quasi-irrational with this so if you like it cool.  But it's so not for me.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

It was actually DoN 2021.

@Zakk_Sabbath Definitely wasn’t the first time fans were allowed back into Daily’s Place either, since Sting’s debut in December 2020 had fans.

Thanks man, I was about to reply "Idk why I thought that" but @NikoBaltimorehooked it up: it was the first *full* crowd allowed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

It was actually DoN 2021.

@Zakk_Sabbath Definitely wasn’t the first time fans were allowed back into Daily’s Place either, since Sting’s debut in December 2020 had fans.

I should have got that. Piss.

18 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, DoN 2021 was so much fun with it being the first time they had a full crowd since the pandemic.  Really fun matches and I really loved how they ended Stadium Stampede.  It was a lovely transition from the empty stadium stuff to a full crowd once again.  It felt really great to see at the time and I should watch it again.

Last night's show was really fun with my only gripe being Jericho's stuff.  I can see what he's doing but I just don't care for it at all.  Maybe it was the stinker of a match from Dynasty on my mind, maybe it's me not getting over his wife taking part in...well, you know.  But I'm done with Jericho and Hook needs to get far away from him.  Joe trying to motivate him felt like a lifeline to this dumb angle and I hope Hook moves on to get that rematch.  I know some here like it and maybe I'm quasi-irrational with this so if you like it cool.  But it's so not for me.

Sting wrestling in front of a crowd for the first time since 2015 and one of the only AEW matches when he takes his top off. Sting nearly always wrestled with a shirt/long sleeved top.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

 

 

YES, YES WE CAN. It's getting boring and lame.

I'm with you.  There's a fine needle to thread to make "spooky cult" work in the context of pro wrestling and I think nobody outside Kevin Sullivan in Florida has ever pulled it off.  That was very much of its time, though, and the only way to make a cult realistic nowadays would be if it turned out that Malakai was full of shit, didn't believe a damn thing he was saying, and was using his believers for his own gain.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is going to be a shame watching Willow lose the title to Mone.  But it really has to be done especially since Mercedes has really done nothing  except cut a few good promos.  

I was right there with you until the part where you said "good."  🤣

How long until Mercedes turns heel and we get the 3D Chess apologists telling us Mercedes' stilted, wooden promos were all done on purpose because she's supposed to be portraying a sports entertainment character?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been kinda obvious for a while that they're slow-burning Mercedes as a heel by big-timing the AEW roster. It's a more polished version of what they did with Saraya, with a better babyface foil. The only question is if Stokeley is in on it.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Glad Bryan Danielson ran from the ramp to help Jon Moxley getting beat up by Jeff Cobb/Kyle Fletcher unlike Jeff Hardy doing his dance while Matt Hardy was beaten up. One of the funniest AEW moments ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Glad Bryan Danielson ran from the ramp to help Jon Moxley getting beat up by Jeff Cobb/Kyle Fletcher unlike Jeff Hardy doing his dance while Matt Hardy was beaten up. One of the funniest AEW moments ever.

On a side note: I dug the post-match perfectly fine as-is/was, but I have to say, I was convinced the segment was going to end with either a returning Mark Davis or one of the other United Empire guys like TJP running in for the heel-save-on-the-save to leave BCC laying

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
edit: or I guess pre-match, in this case, oops!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Glad Bryan Danielson ran from the ramp to help Jon Moxley getting beat up by Jeff Cobb/Kyle Fletcher unlike Jeff Hardy doing his dance while Matt Hardy was beaten up. One of the funniest AEW moments ever.

Although it would have been hilarious if Danielson stopped and did the Jeff Hardy dance before making the save.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

The only question is if Stokeley is in on it.

Something that I think gets lost in the shuffle is that the Stoke/Stat/Willow group started because Stokely had the hots for Stat (more or less).  Willow was "Pam" to Stat's "Gina" - her friend that saw thru Stoke's bullshit.

Over time that whole thing was seemingly abandoned, and it has almost flipped to where Stat is the third wheel.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's been kinda obvious for a while that they're slow-burning Mercedes as a heel by big-timing the AEW roster. It's a more polished version of what they did with Saraya, with a better babyface foil. The only question is if Stokeley is in on it.

This is what I've been wondering. It feels like Stokely and Stat could both possibly be in on it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded - I have been figuring it's an inevitability since he first came in as Jericho's mystery guy for a trios match way back when. Similarly to Keith Lee, some of the shit he does kinda enters that Bam Bam/Vader realm of "Yo, he broke physics" - that standing backflip yesterday, for example, was absurd. Does he just not wanna move to the States?

Cobb lives in Northern California.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Strange that Chris Jericho, all of his years in the business, gets busted open from the back of the head and doesn't turn around to show the wound on camera. Although possibly it didn't look that good.

Jericho doesn't want people to see his bald spot.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fortuitous juice for Jericho!  He made sure to show it off, and Big Bill got it all over his hand too.  So fortuitous I was like, "did they work that or did Jericho tell him to hardway him with the fucking mic??"  Ease up Hook!

I don't know how to feel about Tree of Jericho yet.  TBH AEW has taken a backseat to basketball for me, I need to check out some clips, that was the first I saw of it.  He was floundering as a babyface and this is definitely an improvement.  This type of comedy is usually his best stuff, but we'll see.  He needs to add more young pupils to his tree but then we're right back with him heading up stable #3 in 5 years. 

I was hoping for the Onita style FTW run where he transforms into a deathmatch wrestler and just starts challenging young wrestlers to Piranha filled Mimosa Mayhem matches.  I hope he at least does a couple creative backstage brawls while he has the FTW title, play it for some comedy too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...