DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

11 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Eh.  It’s not that bad and the Bucks/FTR match will probably be awesome.

After a day of simmering, this is where I am sort of landing. I didn't love it, but I don't think it was this big 'fingerpoke of doom' thing folks are making it out to be. If anything, I think it was kind of more out of the 'Billionaire Ted' playbook, or as mentioned earlier today, the little people dressed as Bret after Montreal.

I think in large part, the negative reaction is probably amplified by the airing of the Wembley footage having seemingly negated Copeland's promo from the week before about moving on, and also Ospreay taking aim at HHH minutes later - the totality of those things had a greater effect than any one on their own, IMO.

• Like 2

Honestly, I feel like that Omega/Mox exploding deathmatch ending was worse than making this Punk/Perry stuff an angle. This wasn't anywhere near as bad as Steph leading the crowd to celebrate her dad after he was kicked out the first time.

I've seen decades of bad wrestling and comically bad angles, gimmicks and stories. This doesn't really compare. No one's career is over after this.

And the more I think of it, I think short term this sucks for AEW, but may work out long term because the mystery is dead. They'll get dunked on for now because people were ready to dunk on them for doing it anyway. But now that we've seen it, it's not interesting. It doesn't make Punk look cool. Jack didn't shoulder check him walking into the back, like I recall one report claimed. It's a weird little scuffle that ends about as quick as it began.

They took a bizarre story that captured people's imaginations, and turned it into nothing by showing them the reality. Now we all want to move on from it. And we will. After about 3-6 more months of Punk chants.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

https://vxtwitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1778522805556109434

Apparently it did very well in the ratings. Up 29% on last week, up 17% on the 6-week average. 

Hopefully the fans who watched for the controversy liked the show and continue to enjoy wrestling. Hopefully AEW doesn't start going all work-shooty and engineer unnecessary controversy to try and chase the ratings pop again.

• Like 3

If they can hold these viewers, that’s great. I hope they do, and can. But I’m not hopeful tbh.

If not, you kind of just proved that Punk is a draw even on a show he’s not on. That’s not great (for AEW and non-Punk fans).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rating was good enough to be a bump but not so good that it means they're going to completely change how they operate and become Crash TV. I don't think they capitalized on it well enough though. I am really looking forward to matches on Collision and Dynamite. None of those were announced on the show itself. They didn't use the Dustin match to hook people for next week. That sort of thing. But still, maybe we can just move on now because those matches are good and that's the point.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Rating was good enough to be a bump but not so good that it means they're going to completely change how they operate and become Crash TV. I don't think they capitalized on it well enough though. I am really looking forward to matches on Collision and Dynamite. None of those were announced on the show itself. They didn't use the Dustin match to hook people for next week. That sort of thing. But still, maybe we can just move on now because those matches are good and that's the point.

Not to pile on and be a negative Nancy, but I really wasn't able to pinpoint this until you mentioned it, so I think it bears emphasizing: two crucial things missing from the early AEW recipe - moreso than rankings, Cody Rhodes, the friggin' tunnels, whatever - are the advance announcement of matches (sometimes two or more weeks ahead) and perhaps more importantly, more frequent cliffhanger-type endings. I'm not advocating for burning cash on constant shock debuts or anything like that, but it's gotta be more than Excalibur running down Rampage after a pin from time to time. Dark Order beating down Cody, with Brodie smashing the title and Anna Jay first becoming the Queenslayer on Brandi, Don Callis arriving and bringing Kenny over to Impact, having the Good Brothers and KENTA show up. Things like that

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Claudio vs Ospreay on Dynamite next week 👀

The thing I like most about an AEW creative misfire is their ability to bounce back. This sounds like a helluva time next Wednesday.

• Like 2

After thinking about it a bit more, I have one more thing to say, and that's that I kinda do like that they showed the footage just because it's a finger in Punk's eye. He brought up the shit again after all this time, they hit back the only way they could and at least are using it to further an angle, instead of further an argument. It's not as bad a way to handle the situation as it could be.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

There is no coming back from this ever.

Embarrassing trash.

Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?  It was trash but at the same time 'Dynasty' is 2 weeks away and I expect there to be several great matches.  The online discourse will revert back to the old "yeah they're having great matches but WHAT ELSE!"  Etc...  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Seth Rollins and Will Ospreay infamously had an online Twitter feud about five years ago. Seth Rollins tried to dismiss Ospreay by calling him "Little Guy." Baron Corbin also got involved.

Isn't Ospreay quite a bit BIGGER than Rollins?  I'm not sure on their heights but Rollins looks skinner to me by a wide margin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

https://vxtwitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1778522805556109434

Apparently it did very well in the ratings. Up 29% on last week, up 17% on the 6-week average. 

Hopefully the fans who watched for the controversy liked the show and continue to enjoy wrestling. Hopefully AEW doesn't start going all work-shooty and engineer unnecessary controversy to try and chase the ratings pop again.

“Wow, that Penta sure is great!” - everyone

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Isn't Ospreay quite a bit BIGGER than Rollins?  I'm not sure on their heights but Rollins looks skinner to me by a wide margin. 

He is now, but Ospreay used to be built very slender. He added a lot of muscle when he wanted to go from being perennial IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion to being a Heavyweight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The fact is most wrestling fans know Punk is a whiny malcontent asshole so this video didn't change anyone's opinion of him, it just made most people shake their heads that TK thought it helped AEW in some way to show it.

But the flip side of that is that Tony Khan being a thin-skinned buffoon wasn't exactly a secret either. Granted, to date he's only responded to criticism by being childish on Twitter rather than wasting broadcast time. But still, just like the video didn't change anyone's opinion of Punk, I doubt showing it actually lowered anybody's opinion of Khan or by extension AEW. It was just a stupid waste of time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And for the record, WCW 2000 wasn't having great matches on the level of AEW.  These two are not the same no matter how many weirdo online posters try to say it is. 

I've had enough of the weirdo online posters. I've basically unsubscribed from all the FB wrestling groups I had joined. The DVDVR is the only group of online wrestling weirdos I need. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?  It was trash but at the same time 'Dynasty' is 2 weeks away and I expect there to be several great matches.  The online discourse will revert back to the old "yeah they're having great matches but WHAT ELSE!"  Etc...  

Perhaps, but that's how i feel right now.

Yeah, this isn’t the end of AEW at all. It’s just really indicative of the problems they have as a company and it’s a self-inflicted wound that could not have come at the worst time. It’s such a stupid idea. 

WCW was awful before 2000 and before Vince Russo took over. In my memory, WCW from the nWo onwards had a decent amount of good matches, occasionally something fun from someone like Jericho, a lot of stuff involving people like High Voltage and Sonny Ohno, and about 75 percent really annoying and repetitive stuff with the nWo, especially the Wolfpack vs. Black and White split. How many Scott Steiner insinuates he enjoys sexual assault while Buff Bagwell prances around with a top hat with his face on it promos can one promotion have? WCW in that era was good and interesting for like 6 months before it became annoying. (And I say that as someone who loves older WCW.) 

AEW is better written with a more organized show and product. It’s not even close to the dregs of WCW. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Some people are going to roll their eyes at this but another Willow match to watch is her match with Mercedes Mone'!   Yes, the match that Mercedes was injured in.  It's about 13 minutes or so.  They were cookin until the ankle injury. 

• Like 3

Look in my eyes, What do you see?

I'm living in your heads rent free.

As I'm the biggest draw you'll ever see.

Probably Punk right now to AEW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only way that AEW is reminiscent of WCW 2000 is, they went from having 2 hours of TV a week, to having 5 hours of TV a week. They used to always leave us wanting more, and now they feed us more than we (well, a lot of us) can eat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

“Wow, that Penta sure is great!” - everyone

Respectfully disagree, my friend.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I FF'd right over the Penta match haha

Natural approved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Eh.  It’s not that bad and the Bucks/FTR match will probably be awesome.

I’m good as far as this goes.  But this weeks X-Men episode got me all fucked up.

Halfway through last week's so need to see that and this week's which I gather is powerful.

• Like 1

I just wanna know... last week was Switchblade/Daddy Ass, this week was the All In footage, what segment next Dynamite will turn out to be an impossible to comprehend bad idea? >_>

• Like 1