DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

I must have missed the Janice on a pole match between Abyss and Adam Copeland.  I assume he would only use the nail board on Killswitch although I am sure Nick Wayne will take a bunch of shots

I'm definitely thinking Mox is injured and the original idea was indeed FTR/BCC finale. Now the cheap brackets, I dunno... Get it over fast? Bigger plans after? If the booking has been spoiled, there could be a bunch of reasons. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man around the time Archer was halfway through no-selling a bunch of stuff that show started to feel like a slog

I was doing ok until the Keith/Kyle strike exchanges which were the third of such on the show.

• Like 1

It was lost in the Picture in Picture segment, but Carlie Brovo is absolutely from the Ricky Steamboat school of selling.  It’s glorious.  Some people sell for the back row.  This dude was selling for the back row in some other city.

They initially announced the House Rules match as an “Open House” match and I immediately thought about Julia and Adora battling throughout a house for sale while a realtor frantically tried to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm definitely thinking Mox is injured and the original idea was indeed FTR/BCC finale. Now the cheap brackets, I dunno... Get it over fast? Bigger plans after? If the booking has been spoiled, there could be a bunch of reasons. 

Also where the hell has Fenix been?

Fenix is having Visa issues I think. He wanted to relocate and live in the USA permanently (instead of commuting in from Mexico like Penta does), but somehow that involves not travelling to shows.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 2:03 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

. Knight looked kinda impressive on Honor Club - what do you say @DreamBroken ?

I agree, thought he was going to develop well in to a solid babyface from the looks of things, but of course now he's gone in the complete opposite direction. Interested to see the new character/direction, I hope he does well when he starts in ring.

Also agreed with everyone else's comments on the tag tournament. Was wishing for something as close as possible to the Crockett Cups of 86-88 with the Sting connection. A small tournament especially considering the final isn't until Dynasty next month. the BCC is scheduled for CMLL next Friday on the 29th so we should find out for sure on Moxley soon.

As for Fenix, he had re-aggravated an old injury when he went out back in October after the quick title loss back to Orange. He did an interview while in LA a couple months ago and said he was dealing with the worst injury of his career but that recovery was going well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What are we thinking for the finish of Christian/Copeland? Cope tortures Killswitchasauraus and CC doesn't care, but then quits when he does the same to Nick Wayne? Or some other shenanigans~?

• Like 1

Okay, I guess the SNME style opening is gone for good. Goodbye, you beautiful multi-person promo segment set to music - you are sorely missed. No Elton now either? Hopefully just this week, right? Complaints end with the outstanding Shibata v Danielson bout. What a lovely little scrimmage! I need another term for 'Poetry in Motion', but these two are definitely poets, so seems fitting. Mercedes video package was good. Julia v Adora was alright. Adora's looking better and better every week. Loved the bend. Julia mostly looked fine, but I'm not sure what that rope assisted maneuver was supposed to do. Poor Trish having to sell that k-rap. Speaking of crap, did I hear a stip that only one of the two would get to stand ringside? In theory it's fine, but don't make me think about the illogic. Zak Knight/Ange segments were highlighted by Harley Cameron's hilarity. She needs more to do. So what was going on here - an undisclosed injury? Dragon going long? Definitely down with the latter. Just move it to Honorclub and tape it - Pay Per View baby! Daniel Garcia v Lee Moriarty was terrific for the measley 5 minutes it received. Dragon going long? Darby-Jay Video was good. I continue to be elated by Jay White escaping the Acclaim vacuum. Pac v Aaron Solo was a terrific showcase. Solo did a helluva job here. I was hoping to hear some words from the Bee-ass-tard. I had a teacher that oddly called Basketball 'Bee-ass-ket-ball'. Danielson promo was very good. Meditation, being grateful, that's a play I can back. Claudio v Archer was a bit of snooze in the middle there. I blame Lance entirely. He seemed to be working a WWF house show in 83. Claudio, on the otherhand, brought his consistent excellence, and things clicked at the start and down the stretch. I'd prefer they saved the DQs, but I kinda sorta liked this finish. AEW has made the DQ fun again. Vincent should never, ever get an upper hand on Danielson. Big Dutch showing the gross tongue. Okay, let's do a trios. Maybe afterwards more ppl will be on board with Willing Coach to put together Dutch/Archer as a regular towering team. I really liked Kyle O'Reilly v Bryan Keith, but I definitely hear the criticisms levied on the overall show number of strike exchanges. I liked the closing and KOR's uncertainty about his old friends. Let's do Roddy v Kyle for the strap. Really liked the Deonna/Rosa promo. Always like Deonna's promos, but Rosa was good there too. I'm kinda into a heel Rosa. House of Black v Infantry was a beautiful showcase for the House. Matthews/King looked like a pair of killers. Carlie Bravo and this team have come a distance from their Honorclub debut early last year. Felt bad for the Captain on the botch, but he pressed on like a pro. Ottawa was very polite about it all. Cap seems like he deserves some votes for best dude in the company. I kinda like the finish. I don't like that they did an angle with FTR last week to make the outcome here kinda obvious. That said, all match I was trying to think of how the Infantry were gonna win. I thought for a moment that the House might get counted out on the table top piledriver. Somewhere around then I remembered the Briscoe feud. Malakai v Mark sounds pretty fuckinfantastic. Adam Copeland Interview was pretty good. It wasn't drippy. I could've done without him using the word 'perform'. I hated his use of that word. A stick with spikes, alright. Good use of Foley's name in 2024. There was some good to great mat action on this show, but some week's Collision has the feel of a pre-empted taped Raw circa mid-90s. I don't see too many Colliders on the board anymore. I guess nobody prefers the B show presently. That's not a good sign. Still, there's always a Danielson masterpiece, so I'm grateful. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Fenix is having Visa issues I think. He wanted to relocate and live in the USA permanently (instead of commuting in from Mexico like Penta does), but somehow that involves not travelling to shows.

I thought that both Lucha Bros. where living in Pasadena?

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I agree, thought he was going to develop well in to a solid babyface from the looks of things, but of course now he's gone in the complete opposite direction. Interested to see the new character/direction, I hope he does well when he starts in ring.

Also agreed with everyone else's comments on the tag tournament. Was wishing for something as close as possible to the Crockett Cups of 86-88 with the Sting connection. A small tournament especially considering the final isn't until Dynasty next month. the BCC is scheduled for CMLL next Friday on the 29th so we should find out for sure on Moxley soon.

As for Fenix, he had re-aggravated an old injury when he went out back in October after the quick title loss back to Orange. He did an interview while in LA a couple months ago and said he was dealing with the worst injury of his career but that recovery was going well. 

worse than the broken arm? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Vincent should never, ever get an upper hand on Danielson.

Danielson needs a moment where he puts him in the Yes Lock and won't break, and they have to call down like ten security guys to break the grip, and finally Moxley backs him off, Danielson rolls away... and Mox drops down into Bulldog Choke so they have another ten guys swarm the ring and finally stretcher him out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vincent gets a lot of hate here!  I don't mind him at all, I just don't see the point of the cult gimmick in wrestling in general.  I think the only time it was done well was with Sullivan in Florida, but that was at the height of the Satanic Panic and I guess his gimmick was "we're evil and don't care about winning titles, we just want to hurt your heroes."  But ever since then, every cult gimmick has just stepped on its own dick as far as execution goes.  That's just an inherent failing of the concept, though.  Because really, in kayfabe, why would a cult want to be involved in a sport?  Really, if you want to modernize the cult gimmick, then the flunkies have to lay down their lives so their leader can win the title, and the whole time it's really obvious their leader doesn't believe a thing about his own message and is just using them to get the belt and get rich. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

worse than the broken arm? 

I may be wrong, but I think Fenix got fairly lucky with that arm injury in that it was "just" a break. I don't think he had any tendon or muscle damage or anything like that.

God, that looked bad when it happened, though.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Log said:

I may be wrong, but I think Fenix got fairly lucky with that arm injury in that it was "just" a break. I don't think he had any tendon or muscle damage or anything like that.

God, that looked bad when it happened, though.

Yeah, that's one of the worst injuries in all my years watching live sport.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Raven’s flock in ECW was a nice play on the cult gimmick. Despite creative getting in the way during his Turner run, it kinda worked where it was allowed to, but mostly agree on the success rate of cult gimmicks. Long live Brandi Rhodes’ shitty Nightmare collective! 

Vincent wouldn’t be so bad as a corner man. Distaste for his in ring is probably more shared by the honorclub viewers. He’s incredibly inconsistent and often the opposite of crisp. Dutch on the other hand - sensational!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Raven’s flock in ECW was a nice play on the cult gimmick. Despite creative getting in the way during his Turner run, it kinda worked where it was allowed to, but mostly agree on the success rate of cult gimmicks. Long live Brandi Rhodes’ shitty Nightmare collective! 

Vincent wouldn’t be so bad as a corner man. Distaste for his in ring is probably more shared by the honorclub viewers. He’s incredibly inconsistent and often the opposite of crisp. Dutch on the other hand - sensational!

Oh lord, I'll never forget Brandi's clumsy promo where she tried to explain the Nightmare Collective's role within the Nightmare Family.  All she needed was a PowerPoint with an org chart.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I'm also a high voter on the Brodie Lee era of the Dark Order. Especially that night he beat the shit out of Goofy Rhodes and took his coveted TNT title. His abusive relationship with John Silver, and love of Stu are also worth noting.

• Like 5

What I love about AEW is that we can get 2020s bombs away MOVEZ bangers like Ospreay-Takeshita and also sicko shit like Danielson-Shibata spending 10 minutes on the mat before chopping each other silly.

Who the hell did BCC piss off to have to feud with the fucking Righteous and Archer (who has kinda sucked for a while now). Not in the tag tournament and having to see for the team that MJF beat singlehandedly. Also why is Yuta suddenly gone?

I was really into O’Reilly and Keith, was interesting to see Keith work more as the dominant guy rather than the underdog. KOR might have the eye bags from hell but he’s trimmed up some from his last appearances. I like him, please keep him away from Undisputed.

Julia-Adora was good, Julia was forced to do a lot more hit and run fitting for her size, took some bumps, and she nailed the moonsault.

Main event tag was pretty fucking awful, I called Briscoe getting Infantry an upset win the second the brackets were posted.

Garcia-Moriarty was a good look at the bright future of AEW. Also, Garcia was ROH Pure champion, so he’s had gold around the waist.

Cope looked like he was going to blow an artery near the end of his promo, he was turning purple. Also thought he had cut himself with Spike when he first put it to his temple (and maybe he should’ve to really get it across). Spike is a very Canadian name, for all those DeGrassi junior high fans.

Wednesday is once again practically a PPV with the live Rampage after Dynamite. Really excited for both women’s tag matches, Kingston-Okada, and the I Quit match.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There was a clip that floated into my FB feed of KOR working in New Japan. It was a tag with Tanahashi. Tana kicked him in the head and he started waving and wobbling around, Tana started imitating him in mockery, before KOR kicked him back and they both fell down. It was set to some kinda dance music and was so stupid and funny I had to watch it like three times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The bracket is underwhelming, but I don't think it's such a foregone conclusion the Bucks run away with it. I could definitely see Top Flight getting their breakout year going over FTR and the Bucks back to back. Bucks or FTR winning the tag belts when we're supposed to be entering some new era or whatever would be some really lame booking. FTR will always be ready to go for a program when you need them, and the Bucks are gonna be best hiding behind Okada.

Toni/Mariah killing those jobbers reminded me of the long (lost?) squash match thread. This was so much better than a semi-competitive match vs. an ROH team. Julia and Skye could probably use such a match as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm also a high voter on the Brodie Lee era of the Dark Order. Especially that night he beat the shit out of Goofy Rhodes and took his coveted TNT title. His abusive relationship with John Silver, and love of Stu are also worth noting.

Agreed. I still rewatch this. NSFW:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pTa8RH1jZ5o&t=687s&pp=ygUVZGFyayBvcmRlciBicm9kaWUgbGVl

We love and miss you, Mr. Brodie Lee.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 2