DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Chikara 2005 and 2006 Tag World Grand Prix tournaments both had 32 teams. It's been several years since I've watched it, but the 2006 tournament was fantastic.

The 2005 version is how we got Joe vs. Necro. 

• Like 2

I guess Stat and Riho will be good if we get another “Riho gets ragdolled for 10 minutes” like we did last week. Only losing this time.

The rest seems “meh”, but it’s basically a reboot.

Ospreay’s full time Dynamite debut is unlikely to disappoint - Fletcher is a fun dance partner. Riho v Stat is interesting. I’m hoping for a Riho win, but that scenario is sure to include some Stokelyism. I’m not sure what to expect from Cage v Hook. A Darby-Jay White confrontation seems likely. I have a good feeling about this show.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Feeling: Restored

Heel Okada with the Bucks will be fun. I was hoping Hangman would be a part of all this, maybe he still can be. Seems like Omega is definitely being set up for a big babyface run when he’s back.

Ospreay is that fucking guy. It’s gonna hit like motherfucking crack when it’s Swerve versus Ospreay for the title eventually.

• Like 2

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Swerve and Joe have words

Swerve and Joe are put together in a tag team match, which they, of course, win

Joe is facing Wardlow next week

Hook is dangerously close to being trapped on Jericho Island

Hook beats Brian Cage in a "smaller person beats Brian Cage" display match

The Bucks get into it with Eddie Kingston

Okada is here and he's evil.

We got a tag team title tournament too

Stokely keeps costing Statlander matches

I think Jay White was trying to adopt Darby, so Jay was being inched towards being a face, but he's a heel for this match?

House of Black has words that I didn't notice

Briscoe has words that I didn't really notice

Ospreay on display in the main event

Well, alright.

Side note this men’s roster is sort of approaching 2002 WWE levels of stacked. And just like then, I’m not saying everyone is currently in a good story, or being used right, or whatever, but goddamn. You could literally Battlebowl the matches every week and you’re guaranteed classics. 

• Like 10

Pairing Okada with the Bucks is interesting. On one had, it’s working against what the fans want (to cheer for him), but at the same time, much like the Bucks, Okada is at his best when he’s being kinda bitchy, so this is probably the best context to introduce him as a character (not just a wrestler) to America.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Well, putting Will Ospreay vs Some Guy in the main event slot was certainly a choice.

I take it you don't follow New Japan. Kyle Fletcher and his partner Mark Davis were part of Ospreay's faction, United Empire. Plus, Excalibur mentioned that Aussie Open lived with Ospreay during their time in the UK. So, the story was definitely there. It was more than Ospreay vs. some guy. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The whole opening segment told a really solid story, specifically with Swerve showing Joe to his face that maybe he IS better than the champ. Way good.

Stat just ragdolling Riho was killer, and Riho looked like she put a little more snap on her offense. I'll take a best of 5 plz. 

Lots of other stuff. Really all around solid show. Rampage doesn't look thrilling but Collision has some good stuff. 

Oh yeah fuggin OSPREAY v DANIELSON 🥳🥳🥳

• Like 5

Reset show, with the pros and cons of one of those. Actually there were a lot of pros. I think my ignoring skills were on point tonight.

Spoiler

Pros

- Tunnels look like big omega symbols with Lament Configuration patterns inside. "We have such sights to show you, at the craft services table"

- Renee's outfit is far more flattering than the last couple she's had

- Logo is fine too. I missed the theme music

- Cage/Taz Jr. was a decent garbage match with a lot of suplexes. Other comments below. 

- Daddy Magic is getting a daddy bod, just lookit that gut, don't cover it up with the tape hoss show it off! 

- Tony: "Please do not threaten me, Christian"

- CARJACK JONES

- Blubbering Fan Crowdshot from the PPV got a rerun as expected

- Bucks (with one dressed as Latino Pimp #2) and Eddie who was out for no reason except to get blasted by Moneybags was good. Heel Okada = Thumbs Up

- Fine women's match. Still dunno who the lady was doing loud personal commentary outside.

- Darby cries and then shuts Jay White right the fuck down; Jay just looks like a guy you'd want to push the end of a bat into his throat

Cons

- Cage didn't blade after getting hit with three NASTY can lid shots (did he ever blade in Lucha Underground?) and he wimped out and landed on the tacks with his ass. There were like two in his back. Then poor Hook had to roll around in them with his big ass on top of him, bogus. 

- Tony's olive suit was cool looking at first glance but the more I thought of it I imagine it as someone in a WWII-era military detail would walk around in. Yuck.

- Two matches in and the Ospreay Formula has already pissed me off. "Let's hold hands and chop each other!" A gymnastics exhibition where people may incur crippling injuries does not make a good wrestling match. Meltzer is spent once again and hopefully left out a fresh pair to change into. Especially egregious was everyone getting their power bars down to the lowest ebb before deciding to start ANOTHER strike exchange; I missed the pin and the sounds of gunfire but I imagine it had to be a sawed-off pulled from beneath the ring that did the deed. 

Also, if Ospreay's hair is like his mom used the book at the Supercuts then Fletcher's mom let him get it cut however he wanted, and he brought in a Dragonball Z coloring book for them to work with.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I take it you don't follow New Japan. Kyle Fletcher and his partner Mark Davis were part of Ospreay's faction, United Empire. Plus, Excalibur mentioned that Aussie Open lived with Ospreay during their time in the UK. So, the story was definitely there. It was more than Ospreay vs. some guy. 

Thanks, but my comment was less to do with any perceived lack of backstory and more to do with how inherently uninteresting What's-His-Name is.

I mean, if they pulled some random guy off the street, told us he had been Ospreay's gardener for years, and put him in a match with Ospreay, would that be main event worthy?

Fletcher has 30ish matches in AEW and 20ish matches in ROH (plus holds a title from there) along with a pre-AEW and current AEW backstory with their association with Callis. Obviously anyone is well within their rights to not enjoy his wrestling but he's not exactly an unknown to AEW audiences. It wasn't exactly a big "in ring" night for Dynamite so they may as well have main evented compared to the other matches on the card.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Thanks, but my comment was less to do with any perceived lack of backstory and more to do with how inherently uninteresting What's-His-Name is.

I mean, if they pulled some random guy off the street, told us he had been Ospreay's gardener for years, and put him in a match with Ospreay, would that be main event worthy?

No hard feelings. It just drives me insane reading on Facebook how AEW just does random matches with no story, but then I have to remind myself that FB is a cesspool and the intellect level on the DVDVR is much higher. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think the issue is less that there is no backstory with Will and Fletcher and more that Fletcher is just a guy in AEW who shows up on occasion to lose so it kinda limits things narratively. Granted I could see why with Ospreay's first signed singles TV match you just want a showcase for him and that doesn't really require an opponent with much of a pulse, but in a perfect world I'd rather they heat Fletcher up a bit and take advantage of their shared history and have his TV debut against someone else. It's also a minor thing and I don't mind that much.

I am not looking forward to Danielson wrestling a guy who throws elbows to the back of the head and is liable to be goaded into a show-offy stiffness affair, that match feels like it should have someone to reign things in for safety sake and neither of those men are it.

In defense of Fletcher being Ospreay's opponent, not only do they know each other storyline-wise, but he's perfect for doing this kind of video game horseshit. There's a reason him and Davis are Ospreay's clique. 

12 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Okada debuting as a heel is a choice but I dug it. The crowd was still cheering him. Curious to see what they do to really heel him up. I thought attacking Eddie would do it.

I think Okada would have heard some boos if he showed up at Revolution and attacked Sting. 

Okada will hear some boos if he acts like the Asian wrestling stereotype, pretends he doesn't understand English; ceremonial salt, Asian mist.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1