DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

Powerman 5000 just reminded me of the time on the Headbanger's Ball redux where Rob Zombie had his brother on, said something pithy about Lemmy, the brother was like "WTF" and they cut to commercial. Show returns from break, Zombie apologizes to the audience. Is fired, does not return. 😆

• Haha 2

The funny thing is they didn't even bother getting another host after Zombie. The show just dissolved into the programming guide until it vanished completely. He didn't give two shits about the show anyway, they would have been better getting Juliya from the other channel, the poser chick in latex who announced videos. 

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Powerman 5000 just reminded me of the time on the Headbanger's Ball redux where Rob Zombie had his brother on, said something pithy about Lemmy, the brother was like "WTF" and they cut to commercial. Show returns from break, Zombie apologizes to the audience. Is fired, does not return. 😆

What did Rob say?  Was it a quip about the Nazi memorabilia collection?

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Obligatory “who are you to doubt chiropractic medicine” joke

So did the original ghost train him or did the ghost of the guy who learned it from talking to the original ghost train him or what

• Haha 2

For all of his long, long WWE run, Chris Jericho was unique in that he liked to change things up. Not only would he change his look and character from time to time, but he'd change his catchphrases, even his speaking cadence in interviews. And any time something he was doing got properly over, he would then stop doing it before it got played out. 

So it's a bit frustrating that in AEW for the last five years, he's been on his Greatest Hits tour. Whenever he changes things up, it's "We could bring back the Painmaker" or "We could bring back Lionheart*". Never anything fresh and new, other than the fact that his finishing move has a back elbow since 2019 (and that's a real "I need a move I can do when I'm 70" thing).

Of course, the other thing that kept him fresh was that he would disappear for months at a time to go and be a singer (or work in other forms of non-wrestling entertainment), whilst he's never been away from AEW for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Then again, he's now the second oldest Wrestler on the roster, and Billy Gunn is unlikely to get upgraded into the Sting 'Living Legend' spot. So perhaps he thinks that if he sticks around, at some point he's getting that treatment. Which, I can see his retirement tour being good, but at the moment he's a bit... in WWE, in the scripted entertainment era, he always seemed a little more real and less plastic than most of the boys. But in AEW where everyone seems real, he's the most plastic person there. If he hadn't signed for AEW in 2019, but got cast in a TV show or something, and then he returned to wrestling in 2024, he would get that legend returns deal.

* If he's returning to his CMLL days, his name should be in Spanish. He was Corazon De Leon in Mexico, he was only Lionheart in Japan and USA/Canada.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The funny thing is they didn't even bother getting another host after Zombie. The show just dissolved into the programming guide until it vanished completely. He didn't give two shits about the show anyway, they would have been better getting Juliya from the other channel, the poser chick in latex who announced videos. 

As a teen boy, I wasva big Juliya fan. I liked the reboot of Headbangers Ball with Jamey Jasta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Juliya Chernetsky, she was a bitch the one time I met her. Although, it may have had to do with my friend telling her she could use my mouth as a toilet if she needed to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Juliya Chernetsky, she was a bitch the one time I met her. Although, it may have had to do with my friend telling her she could use my mouth as a toilet if she needed to. 

Looooool hey man, gotta shoot your shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

For all of his long, long WWE run, Chris Jericho was unique in that he liked to change things up. Not only would he change his look and character from time to time, but he'd change his catchphrases, even his speaking cadence in interviews. And any time something he was doing got properly over, he would then stop doing it before it got played out. 

So it's a bit frustrating that in AEW for the last five years, he's been on his Greatest Hits tour. Whenever he changes things up, it's "We could bring back the Painmaker" or "We could bring back Lionheart*". Never anything fresh and new, other than the fact that his finishing move has a back elbow since 2019 (and that's a real "I need a move I can do when I'm 70" thing).

I dunno, I'm pretty tired of Jericho in AEW, but he's changed quite a bit in his time in AEW: formed the Inner Circle as a dominant, semi-serious heel group; did the feud with MJF replete with musical number (which for the record, I DETESTED) which is pretty much as big of a changing things up as wrestling production goes; clearly got annoyed with comments about his physique and got into much better shape; tried a lot of new catchphrases but ditched them if they weren't catching on (My Jerkoff Friend etc.0, did the Jericho Cruise episode of Dynamite which, again, was pretty different for a wrestling show; formed the Jericho Appreciaton Society which was  more of a semi-serious/comedy group; had his group wear themed-costumes for big matches which isn't something I see too often in North American wrestling; worked an actual losing streak angle which was aimed more at getting young guys over than himself (i.e. didn't immediately get his wins back or beat the guy down in order to get this heat back and the longterm goal, seemingly, wasn't to get himself a title match). That's just off the type of my head and doesn't include reasonably innovative ideas that might have been his (Stadium Stampede). I mean, he's even basically kept himself out of the main event scene for the better part of the last year, working side-feuds, tag feuds etc. 

I think he's maybe hit a wall in AEW in that the crowd's not so into him right now (Though I suspect if he went face, played the greatest hits in terms of moves and catchphrases), but I don't know if you can fault the reaction on him too much. It reminds me of when Seth Rollins went off about being one of the greatest workers in the world, called WWE the greatest fed in the world, and people online got really mad about it and he had a few months of muted reactions, before crowds decided they actually still liked him and re-appreciated him. Jericho's crowd response seemed to plateau around the Callis feud (which probably would have gone like gangbusters if Omega hadn't gotten hurt/ill) then the online allegations seemed to turn a bunch more against him, but again he's playing sort of a tweener role right now. If he came out on Dynamite and called Don Callis an "ass clown", put him in the Lion Tamer, said he was on "the list" and that that he'd never "everrrrr" do it again, I think he'd get cheered like crazy all voer again. But I think he's been guilty of trying to change too much and be a little too giving, in terms of taking losses, so he's sort of a borderline main eventing Dustin Rhodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

woah baby, Chris Jericho deciding to work as 1980s Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant and winning matches with elbowdrops

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What did Rob say?  Was it a quip about the Nazi memorabilia collection?

You know, I don't even remember, but it wasn't that. IIRC it was more like "Lemmy... uuugh" and Mr. 5000 said something like "what are you talking about" and laughed uncomfortably.

I have a poser friend who also loves Life of Agony to an unreasonable extent and she is way better looking than Juliya ever was (Juliya has been reincarnated in another body as a spike-haired poser punk announcer that does internet and radio work btw, can't remember what her name is. She walks around with these GIANT liberty spikes in bondage clothes for work.)