DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/21 - 2/27/2024 - Rhythm of My Julia Hart

45 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

That was all on Madison Rayne. Purrazzo was doing a basic leg sweep/flat liner, and Rayne took it like a DDT. Rayne looked awful the entire match before that too, honestly.  Not sure how she is one of the coaches...

Yeah, Madison Rayne looked really awful and wrestled like she was underwater. Which caused Purrazzo to have to slow down too.

• Like 1

Another week of wondering: Are the Waynes perpetually barred out or do their faces just look like that?

FTR/BCC was a little shaggy but I think that was to its benefit.  Nothing else particularly blew my hair back this week except for Garcia and Daddy Magic standing tall and Cool Hand Ange acting like a goofy 15 year old on his first date.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkbintHOOdc

I think Hangman might be hurt. 06:41.

Just now, TimLivingston said:

Looks like a broken foot for Page. You wonder if that means they pull the trigger on Swerve now. 

Yeah, broken foot or ankle looks like. Think it'll be Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland.

Jeez. Shotzi on Tuesday and Page on Wednesday, both from improper landings that don't look all that bad. Did Coach Tony curse himself bringing up injuries in that Tweet? 

Ange and Ruby all dressed up to go see a Koffin Kats gig was really cute. 

• Like 4

Actually, I take that back. If they were dressed in their ring gear, they'd be going to the psychobilly gig. This time they were dressed like they were going out swing dancing. Maybe hitting up the Cherry Poppin' Daddies reunion show at the House of Blues. 

• Haha 4

Considering that the medical team was nowhere to be seen around Page, I think it was more a case of selling and keeping him from breaking up the choke on RVD.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Another week of wondering: Are the Waynes perpetually barred out or do their faces just look like that?

FTR/BCC was a little shaggy but I think that was to its benefit.  Nothing else particularly blew my hair back this week except for Garcia and Daddy Magic standing tall and Cool Hand Ange acting like a goofy 15 year old on his first date.

Orphan Hunter v Daddy Says No is the feud I didn't know I needed

• Like 1

Great opener and a fun main event with some solid stuff in between. Enjoyed Jake Hager being the big babyface save for the Oklahoma pop. Orange/Bennett was fun, also a shoutout to Orange/Taven last week being absolutely epic since I didn't catch up in time for last week's thread. 

I was wondering why Flair wasn't around for the big tag title win since his whole thing was being by Sting's side all through his final ride, so glad to see that come up. Thought Wardlow's promo was the most interesting he's been in awhile, but also expected someone to interrupt.  Very much look forward to Danielson/Akiyama. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Very much look forward to Danielson/Akiyama. 

It's nuts that this match is being put on a Saturday show a week or so before a PPV. Why Tony Khan didn't decide to pull back on it and save it for the last show before the PPV on Dynamite I don't know.

This build up for the AEW PPV hasn't been that enticing to watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

It's nuts that this match is being put on a Saturday show a week or so before a PPV. Why Tony Khan didn't decide to pull back on it and save it for the last show before the PPV on Dynamite I don't know.

This build up for the AEW PPV hasn't been that enticing to watch.

Probably because Danielson prefers to work Collision? Or Akiyama scheduling issues. The Nagata match came together quickly for instance.

• Like 1

The only reason to book Madison Rayne in 2024 is because she wrestled Deonna a ton of times in IMPACT.  With a roster filled to the brim with talent in catering it is going to look bad

I am a little surprised that the show didn't end for Flair basically swimming in his own blood because of the Bucks.  I am sure he wouldn't have a problem with it.   There is a still a couple weeks left though

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Someone on Twitter checked the address that Christian listed for Daniel Garcia's mother, it turns out that it's the address to a graveyard.

I wonder if Tony and the booking agents had to physically restrain Christian when Sting mentioned that his father passed away

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On a show with a very good (and leading to even better) FTR v BCC match, a Wardlow promo is maybe the highlight. Great work from Wardy! Love the callbacks and everything about this. Happy to see a potential road to redemption for the talented big man. 

• Like 1

The Wardlow promo was pretty good. During the OC vs Bennett match I was thinking about how the Undisputed guys were the main event angle of the last PPV and are now focusing solely on a mid card feud, so hopefully they put some heat behind him and push him against Joe or Swerve next

59 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I wonder if Tony and the booking agents had to physically restrain Christian when Sting mentioned that his father passed away

See: my Short Takes post. I think Christian may have got a smattering of applause on his way back down the ramp if he did that, too. 

Does anybody think Wardlow will have any success in this endeavor beyond playing the spoiler depending on circumstances? They followed up his rant with footage of Ospreay, FFS. Him and Okada coming in is gonna be competition that he can't match.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Actually, I take that back. If they were dressed in their ring gear, they'd be going to the psychobilly gig. This time they were dressed like they were going out swing dancing. Maybe hitting up the Cherry Poppin' Daddies reunion show at the House of Blues. 

Renee was rocking a bit of an modified Zoot look as well with her high-waisted pants, gold chain hanging along one side, and the rose on her blouse.

• Like 4

Opening match was good but not great other than the flashes of Claudio just going full on Hulk mode. It did its job of setting the table for some kind of big bloody gimmick match at the PPV. And PLEASE AEW stop with the unprotected head butts.

OC-Bennett was fine but honestly in the lower tier of OC matches the last 18 months. Hager saving OC was weird but I guess it was Oklahoma and with no JR they had to have some kind of home state pop to wake that crowd up. Other than their resemblance, there was no connection between those two and hope it’s a one-off.

We had one women’s squash and one women’s match that might have been the worst match not involving Jade Cargill, Brandy Rhodes, or Marina Shafir. Deonna comes out of that looking bad, they really need to give her a good opponent next week. They also need to decide if she’s a heel or a face. But I did like the overlapping on the ramp, that’s been a nice addition to AEW.

Main thing I remember about the main event is Hook taking some really bad bumps. Like several landings that weren’t the usual flat back type, and one where I think he got knocked a little dizzy. Joe was his usual killer here, they have a dilemma where it’s probably Swerve’s time but Joe also deserves a longer run because he rules as a champ.

I might be missing a match, if so it’s because it was forgettable.

Promos were pretty good work other than Flair’s semi-intelligible pseudo-shoot. Sting and Darby had me feeling really bad, excellent work by Sting who was obviously speaking some from the heart. Ang-Ruby was sweet. FTR trying to issue a challenge only for BCC to confront worked well. Bang Bang Scissor Gang had some moments (but really really needs to wrap up). Garcia’s promo was solid, and Christian is just a master heel right one, but Garcia closing with “I’ll put you in the dirt next to him” was fantastic.

And then there’s Wardlow. They finally gave him some personality and motivation. But also, dude, you have been openly been presented as a pawn for Adam Cole to use to get the belt, so in the end this means nothing. But I guess we will be getting to enjoy some BMMSM as a result.

• Like 1