DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/3 - 1/9/2024 - The Show Must Joe On

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Ok, not a huge fan of Private Party but I absolutely have to see them vs Top Flight, to settle which one of the Young Bucks upsetting teams is the better one!

Have Top Flight actually beaten the Bucks? If so, the circumstances must not have been as memorable as Private Party taking them out of the original title tournament.

Wardlow had to be like, not THIS shit again, when the title relinquishing came up, but I'm sure he won't sweat it. He'll just powerbomb the shit out of Cole when the time comes. I doubt he'll wait around to do it for as long as he did with MJF, though.

This is similar to my initial reaction to Cole saying Wardlow would hand him the title. I didn't groan because they were duplicating what Christian and Luchasaurus were doing, I groaned because it seemed like they were planning to redo the MJF-Wardlow story with Cole in MJF's place. And granted, Wardlow's peak overness was when he finally destroyed Max, but I'm not convinced running the same story again will produce the same results.

Ok, Luchasaurus, if that's your real name, time to grow some jurassic balls!

Meant to mention this earlier, but it was gratifying to hear a crowd chant "Luchasaurus" at him. I'm genuinely surprised crowds haven't been doing that since Christian mandated the name change.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Wardlow had to be like, not THIS shit again, when the title relinquishing came up

Just wait until Cole watches Dynamite back and sees Wardlow's reaction to the talk of giving up the belt!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Just wait until Cole watches Dynamite back and sees Wardlow's reaction to the talk of giving up the belt!

Wardlow will be fine.  Per the rules of wrestling logic, wrestlers never watch the shows.  They also never talk to each other outside the shows.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wardlow will be fine.  Per the rules of wrestling logic, wrestlers never watch the shows.  They also never talk to each other outside the shows.

Injured Kyle tells Roddy >>> Roddy tells Adam  >>> HIJINKS

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

There was a funny line when the MJF/Cole friendship first started that referenced that. Roddy is talking to Cole on camera about MJF and asks if they should talk in private. Cole says, no, he (MJF) never watches the show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Have Top Flight actually beaten the Bucks? If so, the circumstances must not have been as memorable as Private Party taking them out of the original title tournament.

This happened pretty soon after Darius returned from his injury and BEFORE Dante shattered his leg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've been pretty down lately on Dynamite (in specific) and AEW (in general), but i loved this episode all the way through. 
a few random thoughts:

• i had not made the connection that Sting was undefeated in AEW at 24-0 (25-0 counts Muta's retirement show)
  • i have never seen Mariah May, but Queen Aminata impressed me more in their match. make her a regular!
  • Takeshita/Allin was awesome. I even called my wife in to watch the match (she doesn't follow wrestling but enjoyed s1 of Lucha Underground, FWIW). she was enthralled.
  • i popped big for Kingston calling Bryan Keith's headbutt "Luigi-esque". there are not nearly enough Super Smash Bros. references made in general.
  • i wasn't expecting it to happen, but i was salivating at the thought of Vikingo vs Kingston in a titles unification match. Trent should make for a fun match too. a damn shame he's never won a title in AEW whatsoever yet.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

make her a regular!

She has been, didn't they say she's won like 26 matches? It was all probably on Dark/Elevation though, so nobody but the announcers (as they noted), the crowds and Matt D saw them. But yeah, get her on TV more. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

She has been, didn't they say she's won like 26 matches? It was all probably on Dark/Elevation though, so nobody but the announcers (as they noted), the crowds and Matt D saw them. But yeah, get her on TV more. 

Maybe she's had 26 matches, but she lost almost all of her matches on Dark & Elevation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Log said:

There was a funny line when the MJF/Cole friendship first started that referenced that. Roddy is talking to Cole on camera about MJF and asks if they should talk in private. Cole says, no, he (MJF) never watches the show.

That was (I think) the same promo where Adam explicitly tells Roddy that he's just biding his time until he can screw MJF over and it's kinda weird they haven't referenced that at all.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey now, I was the other viewer of those shows and still miss them dearly. Most of her matches were pretty short but I remember a few where she looked pretty strong. She did a great job out there on Dynamite so hopefully she gets a few more chances. One of the things I miss most about the YouTube shows was all the women's division matches. Just a few extra minutes a show would go a long way.

• Like 3

Nobody have anything to say about Rampage? 

I missed pretty much all of the opening tag, but it revealed that Butcher and Blade are indeed still employed which I was mistaken about. Renee did her best not to corpse while staring directly into the camera lens. Stokely was a total 1. jerk (to Willow), 2. creeper (to Kris) and 3. goof (to everyone). WE HAD TWO WOMEN'S MATCHES IN A ROW! Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal might end up having a match that nobody asked for and nobody is interested in. And then Yuter and Komander had what looked like a fairly good Pure match. I still want Jimmy Jacobs to run down and spike somebody one of these days. 

EDIT: And I have to say because it was so incredibly THERE... you know there are a metric ton of midnight chokers (as the old DVDVR term goes) that put a slo-mo and/or freeze frame on the pin in the women's tag. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gorman said:

Maybe she's had 26 matches, but she lost almost all of her matches on Dark & Elevation.

Now why you gotta bring up the great Dark and Dark Elevation days? I used to love keeping track of all of the wacky local talents that they used to use, especially when one would finally win a match!

I wonder what Baron Black, Tony Donati and FABOO ANDRE are up to these days?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This happened pretty soon after Darius returned from his injury and BEFORE Dante shattered his leg.

It was almost a year ago, oddly enough (1/18/23)

That show was full of good matches apparently - Bandido/Danielson and Darby/KUSHIDA were highly rated.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

It was almost a year ago, oddly enough (1/18/23)

That show was full of good matches apparently - Bandido/Danielson and Darby/KUSHIDA were highly rated.

Yeah, can't remember clearly, but Bandido/Danielson was especially terrific. Speaking of Bandido, I hope he'll be healthy enough soon, as after Vikingo vs Taurus matches, I absolutely need Vikingo vs Bandido AND Bandido vs Taurus in my 2024!

• Like 3

Kennedi Copeland used the name Kennedi Copeland in her previous AEW appearances, but now that Adam is there, she had to use a new surname. So she used Hardcastle, as a reference to Adam Copeland's pre-WWE Wrestling name.

In the other Discord, lots of people decided they really liked Notorious Mimi. They thought she looked like a real life Jessica Rabbit.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, twiztor said:

• i have never seen Mariah May, but Queen Aminata impressed me more in their match. make her a regular!

I hadn't seen Mariah May, but I saw that match and there's a lot I'm not seeing about Mariah May it seems. Stardom fans seem to think she's pretty good, so we'll see but she definitely should not use the fireman's carry driver for very long - Aminata looked like a bit of a goof jobbing to that. I think she used the Pedigree before right? She should just use that.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:46 AM, tbarrie said:

Meant to mention this earlier, but it was gratifying to hear a crowd chant "Luchasaurus" at him. I'm genuinely surprised crowds haven't been doing that since Christian mandated the name change.

Honestly, I don’t think most crowds care much about Luchasaurus at this point. 

• Sad 1

Rampage was fine, definitely a big step down from the super hot Dynamite.

I was laughing when they talked about how The Hardyz haven’t lost a step and how Matt is in the prime of his career. That said, Jeff looked better than he has for a while until they botched their signature corner double team whose name I can’t remember. Also notable that Matt did a splash instead of a leg drop and Jeff did a splash instead of a swanton Bomb. Don’t care a lick for Sabian but he has a job to do and he does it. Backstage with Private Party was fine, I wonder if Jeff’s problems cost them that last run with the tag belts, and now they’re in full “putting over the young guys” mode.

Willow-Stat tag was a fun squash, the Stoke stuff is right on the line of funny and cringe. I would like to see more of Notorious Mimi, and not just in the “settle down” way. Good look, good size, seemed to have solid in-ring skills.

Tony listens to the fans and books 2 women’s matches! I’m one who thinks Rampage could become a woman’s wrestling showcase while also understanding that taping a show like that after Dynamite would probably flop. Anna Jay looked good, she’s excellent at wrestling in character. Shida was Shida, she’s always going to be an excellent hand while not being particularly interesting.

Main was kind of a waste of Komander’s talents, but I was also a little drunk and pretty tired when I watched. They built him up as having all these llave skills but they didn’t really come out. Obviously, they’re building an angle with Yuta and the closed fist, although I will reiterate that he’s allowed one, so making a big deal out of him doing it once doesn’t work.

No Satnam, I think Team Jarrett is about to break up. Maybe a Lethal-Briscoe tag team?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Tony listens to the fans and books 2 women’s matches!

I didn’t see any ads for the show, so this was a surprise.  I almost fainted and I swear it wasn’t the cheap bourbon and Coke Zero this time.

• Like 1

Man, that felt really nice. If they can use that song more often then dammit they should. 

12 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I wonder what Baron Black, Tony Donati and FABOO ANDRE are up to these days?

Oh, man, those guys were highlights of Dark. And you can't say Tony Donati without bringing up that sweet, sweet stock theme they used for giggles. 

• Like 1