DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I read an old DVDVR with DEAN reviewing the Wrestling Summit a couple days ago. Sayama vs. Bret Hart was, surprisingly (or maybe not), not good.

That one was actually against Misawa, and it's pretty average.

Sayama vs. Baby Bret did happen a few times and this one's a notch or two better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuvwpUcsDDM

Edited by John E. Dynamite

It's funny the stupid little things that ruin stuff for me. Well, 'ruin' is a strong word for this one, but I'm watching a supercut of the Aces & Eights storyline, and, like, I'm in for it, but, man, how many times are you just going to absolutely smack the shit out the back of someone's skull with a (clearly foam) ball-peen hammer? It's insulting.

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

so, "the show regularly devolves into chaos because the GM is a nepotism hire" would be an interesting approach but it would be a little too realistic for the company and would probably go over badly with important people.

if done well (.....) this could make for a super fun chaotic show and it would be damn near appointment tv for me. But when Adamle was actually in the role, he was just the annoying kind of dumb, not the entertaining kind of dumb. Raw was largely shit at that point with or without him though. 

Legends of the Hidden Temple x Lucha Underground is the crossover i didn't know i needed until right now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

*Drafting a formal letter to Endeavor to repurpose either NXT or Raw to a Legends of the Hidden Temple based brand*

I'm on it, kids.

Go for two, one on Legends of the Hidden Temple and one for GUTS. That way people can feud over pieces of the Aggro Crag. Dream big!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I read an old DVDVR with DEAN reviewing the Wrestling Summit a couple days ago. Sayama vs. Bret Hart was, surprisingly (or maybe not), not good.

Well, it's a guy who prides himself on safety above all else against a guy who tries to take every bump as dangerously as possible, so I can see the potential for a style clash...

Just now, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Go for two, one on Legends of the Hidden Temple and one for GUTS. That way people can feud over pieces of the Aggro Crag. Dream big!

Years ago when I learned that the original "Impact Zone" was the same soundstage where they shot GUTS, I always secretly hoped they'd run an angle where Abyss or someone finds the Aggro Crag piece in a closet and starts trying to defend it like a title, or they find Mo wandering around the back like Scott Hall in that Flair insane asylum segment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Years ago when I learned that the original "Impact Zone" was the same soundstage where they shot GUTS, I always secretly hoped they'd run an angle where Abyss or someone finds the Aggro Crag piece in a closet and starts trying to defend it like a title, or they find Mo wandering around the back like Scott Hall in that Flair insane asylum segment.

Man, can you imagine all the Nick game show crossover stuff TNA could have done? I love the Aggro Crag idea, but TNA should have done that and gone further. 

A "Finders Keepers" match where wrestlers fight through a suburban home set to try and search for well-hidden wrestling titles that they become the holder of if they find them first.

When two wrestlers are considered top contenders to a title, they have to compete in a Double Dare-style physical challenge to determine who gets the title shot.

Phil Moore and Don West being the most enthusiastic PBP team ever.

In the alternate universe where this happened, TNA just got five billion dollars to stream their shows on Netflix, I am sure of it.

P.S.: Was I the only one to have a crush on Moira Quirk? That accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

That one was actually against Misawa, and it's pretty average.

Sayama vs. Baby Bret did happen a few times and this one's a notch or two better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuvwpUcsDDM

Ack, yeah you're right. And I didn't like the Sayama/Bret from the NJ '80s set either (see above)

Edited by Curt McGirt

WWE would never put a segment on TV suggesting Nepotism = Bad, never mind make it a plot arc. Thou shalt not get the better of Stephanie McMahon might as well have been the one and only holy commandment for the last 25 years.

• Like 1

The company once had a Wrestlemania match where each of the four wrestlers was representing a McMahon.

but wrestling is an industry built on nepotism. Look how many 70s/80s promotions were basically family businesses: Memphis, Florida, Dallas, Southwest, AWA, Continental., ICW, etc. 

TNA was one family business that was bought by a company basically to employ their daughter. And now we have the ultimate nepotism promotion, where a billionaires son was spotted some of his inheritance money to run a wrestling company. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The company once had a Wrestlemania match where each of the four wrestlers was representing a McMahon.

but wrestling is an industry built on nepotism. Look how many 70s/80s promotions were basically family businesses: Memphis, Florida, Dallas, Southwest, AWA, Continental., ICW, etc. 

TNA was one family business that was bought by a company basically to employ their daughter. And now we have the ultimate nepotism promotion, where a billionaires son was spotted some of his inheritance money to run a wrestling company. 

How is that the ultimate nepotism promotion? I would say ultimate nepotism would be more of the case of World Class where the sons had no business running a promotion. Moreover, they should not be running one when they themselves are financially unstable in a time where running a promotion requires a bunch of capital. Tony ain't ran a wrestling promotion, but (1) no promoter has a history running a wrestling promotion prior to running one and (2) wealthy people have diverse portfolios as we see with the Khan family. Hell, as silly as it was, no one was trying to stop Vince from starting up the XFL or trying to get the WWF restaurant up off the ground. That's how money moves around. It didn't work obviously, but hey, that's life for you. I don't care if Mike Graham was in the business 60 years. He is not qualified to run a wrestling promotion just cause he came from Eddie Graham. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Undertaker already won that in Saudi Arabia:

https://www.voxcatch.fr/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/undertaker-wwe-ssd.jpg

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and the review was being written by a guy who weote up a Japanese indy sleaze match in the style of Hemingway as well as a Tsuruta/Greg Gagne match reviewed as a short story about Jumbo trying to buy a new walkman with Gagne as thexsalesman

DEAN could take the most mediocre match and turn into something epic and then make you want to watch a match in some high school gym in Tokyo with no ring and convince you it should've been an Omympic event!

James

James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WWF @ Toledo, OH – Sports Arena – February 5, 1989 (9,900; sell out) (matinee)
WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Bad News Brown; Savage played the heel and Bad News was the babyface for the bout

imagining how much fun that switch must have been

• Like 1

Been an eventful month with Kazuchika Okada leaving NJPW, the Vince McMahon/Johnny Ace/Brock Lesnar Wall Street Journal/lawsuit and WWE wrestlers injured: CM Punk, Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens.