DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

26 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Something interesting from the Observer Radio after Collision is Dave saying Black and Matthews are likely WWE bound when they're done with AEW. I'm not a huge HoB fan. I like Julia and King but Black and Matthews aren't my favorites. I'd love to see King get a big push. 

Black's still got like three years left so that's a whole lotta nothing unless TK wants to free up some cash. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Something interesting from the Observer Radio after Collision is Dave saying Black and Matthews are likely WWE bound when they're done with AEW. I'm not a huge HoB fan. I like Julia and King but Black and Matthews aren't my favorites. I'd love to see King get a big push. 

There's a bit more to this, Brody King responded...
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1504284/aew-brody-king-buddy-matthews-respond-recent-backstage-reports/

And to that, I say fair enough, Dave's theory is wrong about the rule changes, but glancing over his oeuvre it's a bit harder to argue against the theory that Malakai Black won't do jobs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Take in mind that was Tully Blanchard talking. Doesn't seem like the nicest, most helpful guy on the planet nevermind the roster. 

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

I was thinking when those interviews came out “do you think some the age of Dante Martin has even seen Arn and Tully Wrestle?”

I think it's more of issue of "okay, what type of advice/guidance are you seeking?" (in ring, promos, general life advice, look, etc.) and also how applicable it is. If we're just using Tully Blanchard as an example, you cannot teach a lot of what Tully was great at. That's largely a sixth sense you get probably from growing up around the business and also just working in front of different crowds. However, as far little things here and there, I feel like anyone who has a keen sense of the business now should be able to offer something.

• Like 2

Malakai Black might have 3 years left on his AEW deal, but I'm not sure he has too many years after that left in his career. He looks like the years of taking bumps are adding up.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Ricky Starks is a fan of 1940s French Catch and knew that Fred Beel invented the Beel throw, I think he’s aware of Wrestling history. 

(Or possibly he lurks here. Hi Ricky! Big fan BTW)

My thought process was more when I was 22 I certainly knew who Bruno was but had never seen a match of his, now granted their is much easier access to historical wrestling today

• Like 1

I took the Ricky comment as he doesn't have any close personal friends in AEW and the advice he's seeking isn't about what he can do in his matches, but more general career/life stuff.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 8:11 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My viewership/attention was spotty most of the time they would have overlapped- did Danielson ever wrestle The Great Khali at WWE??

Only when he first came in, Khali squashed him in 2 mins early on the first season of NXT.

• Thanks 1

Samoa Joe on "Nope":

“As a small youth in my younger days, if I saw something large or very destructive coming toward me, it was only natural to step aside,” said Joe. “It’s not rocket science.”

“The cavemen understood this, too,” he continued. “If you see a rock coming toward you from the top of the hill, move a little to the left.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/wrestling/news/samoa-joe-on-his-nope-spot-its-not-rocket-science

---

Samoa Joe's the best.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

Do you realize that over the past two years Roman Reigns has been pinned more times than Black?

Honestly, that's probably the right call. You give Malakai Black guys like Buddy Matthews so they don't take pins. He never should've dropped a fall to Cody, at minimum...

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I do wonder how much about that is a bit of a generational gap. I've heard Dutch say on his pod that Tully mentioned something about the younger guys rarely coming to him and Arn for advice, but the counterpoint to that was Taz tweeting a reply that he gives advice to the newer kids every single day.

Keep in mind Wrestling Old Guy Pods tend to be aimed at an audience of curmudgeons and "young guys aren't asking these hall of fame vets for advice!!!" really hits the curmudgeon demo in the sweet spot.

Also, I heard Ricky was misquoted.  He has actually asked his tag team partner for advice many times, only to be told "you can't teach that."  It's frustrating.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also, I heard Ricky was misquoted.  He has actually asked his tag team partner for advice many times, only to be told "you can't teach that."  It's frustrating.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Honestly, that's probably the right call. You give Malakai Black guys like Buddy Matthews so they don't take pins. He never should've dropped a fall to Cody, at minimum...

People complain about 50/50 booking for years then, Complain about stars being protected.

Also it’s never Dave’s sons that are possible malcontents 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:50 PM, Infinit said:

I thought this too. Maybe it was a booking issue? The luchadores might have had existing Saturday night bookings and logistically it was easier to get them in on the Wednesday taping.

As it turns out, Averno and Mistico are booked for MLW in Philly on Saturday. And Nagata too (vs Jacob Fatu). And Satoshi Kojami. And Rocky Romero, and Filthy Tom Lawlor, and Notorious Mimi.

11 hours ago, JLowe said:

Notorious Mimi.

In t’other Discord, everyone loves Notorious Mimi. The phrase “Jessica Rabbit in real life” has been used more than once.

• Like 1

It’s mostly just an AEW one. Usually someone or other is streaming the shows live, so it’s pretty handy. Octopus is a member. 

The prediction contests for PPVs are very thorough.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

In t’other Discord, everyone loves Notorious Mimi. The phrase “Jessica Rabbit in real life” has been used more than once.

After her last appearance, I noted that I would like to see more of her, and not just in a “settle down JLowetico” way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1