DVDVR Message Board

So…whatdja get?!??? (2023 Edition)

TimLivingston

Ive been more lurker than poster here recently, but as I think back to what I’ve liked around the holidays over the years, one of the offbeat things I loved was DEAN~! starting this thread many years ago fresh off a visit from Jolly Old St. Nick each December 25th. I saw @S.K.o.S. was the last starter of one of these threads seven years ago, but in honor of DEAN~!, I figured we’d bring it back. Yes, it’s a day late, but I’m chalking it up to needing to do inventory all day since we were all so good and brought in giant hauls…AND including our English/Canadian brethren for Boxing Day.

Without further ado…

-A pizza stone, pellets, and extra set of probes for my smoker

-Run The Jewels 4 (vinyl)

-Various grooming gag gifts from my partner

-Gift cards/certificates, including one to the Skunk Train in the NorCal Redwoods

-SO many Matcha Kit-Kats

But more than all that, it was my first Christmas with my daughter for our little family. The best gift of all. 

So…whatdja get???!??

• Like 3

As far as presents under the tree …

I got a new man purse. Fancy Briggs and Reilly with my initials monogrammed on. That’s fun. I got some Texas Chainsaw Massacre socks.

and that’s it!

but before Christmas I got to go see UFC fight night in Austin and ringside seats for AEW Collision. 

Can’t complain. 

• Like 2

A handmade wooly buff-thingy you can use around your neck as a scarf of more on your head like a hood. My sister made it for me.

My friend got me a whole box of protein bars and a standard size (0,7 litre) bottle of Finlandia Vodka.

I bought a new pair of bluetooth earbuds for myself out of necessity, as the previous ones started to be very unreliable.

I also got the World's End PPV on Triller TV for myself.

The three night stay at the Hotel/Spa on the Southernmost part of Finland was the only "present" me and my wife got for each other.

In part, due to the dinners and breakfasts had at the hotel during our stay, I also got the gift of mass, as this morning I no longer qualify as a cruiserweight, 205,1 lbs.

• Like 2

For a variety of reasons, my wife & I didn't exchange gifts this year.  I may go shopping for myself.  Have seriously considered picking up a Steam Deck, ROG Ally or Odin 2 handheld gaming system.  We'll see.

Got an Amazon gift card from work, a tin of Cougar Gold cheese* , some lottery tickets, and an as-yet-undelivered Etsy gift from Mom.  The lottery tickets turned out well - won $150 on them.

All in all, a pretty quiet Christmas which is fine by me.  Main thing for me at holiday time is to rest and recharge and I'm doing just that.

• Like 2

Alan Boom's Blood and Thunder Vol. 2 book which I highly recommend you pick up from him in the wrestling book thread

Viktor Vaughn (AKA MF Doom) - Vaudeville Villain on vinyl 

Sortilege - Metamorphose and Heros de Larms on vinyl

Autopsy - Severed Survival T-shirt

Amazon Chromecast

and some crap I didn't really want or need -- they love to do that shit. Like, a whole pack of 3XL T-shirts that I don't need and won't wear. They ignored either of the really big items I wanted this year, one I had told them about months in advance (one of those 10,000 video game consoles that plus into your laptop with a USB drive; the other was a Boss Heavy Metal guitar pedal knockoff). I don't care after the fact though, and should just be glad they put up with me at all. 

• Like 3

A pair of Nike runners, some boxer briefs, socks that don't fit, cookie trays and a scratch lotto ticket that was a 20 dollar winner. I also got a default victory over my nephew in checkers, because he closed the board when he realized he wasn't going to win. 🙂

• Like 3

I got a few lottery tickets here too from my friends party. Won ten bucks on a scratch off so not bad.

Aside from that … nothing major. Just some blu-rays, AirPods, a cup holder for my crutches (may not sound like a big deal but it is!), some clothes and also several Visa gift cards, one of which I turned into an IWTV subscription for a few months.

The main thing for me was that I drove home for Christmas and my girlfriend came with me, which means she got to meet my friends and my sister so I was happy about that!

Edited by brynn9292
  • Like 5

Oh yeah, one of the new guys in my office got all the admins those Stanley tumblers and then was visibly disappointed that none of us knew they were some kind of big deal.  Nice cup, though.

• Like 2

My wife got me a cool cassette player so I can start a ridiculous cassette collection to go along with my vinyl addiction.

https://retrospekt.com/products/we-are-rewind-portable-cassette-player-serge?_pos=1&_fid=ca209d243&_ss=c

(It's this, but in blue)

Also, Santa brought the kids Mario Wonder, but I'm the only one who's played it. It's a blast.

Edited by Log
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Log said:

Also, Santa brought the kids Mario Wonder, but I'm the only one who's played it. It's a blast.

I got that for my girlfriend but since I’m laid up on the couch with a bad ankle, I’ve been playing it too. It’s a ton of fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Stanley tumblers

Man for real, I've been swearing by an insulated cup for years now, just for water and occasionally coffee. It's a gift where it's like "this is just a cup" until you realize it comes in handy so often. And a holder for Brynn's crutch not only seems logical and the most obvious idea in the world, but I bet they only came out with one in the last couple years because, you know... people aren't that bright and probably don't think about how differently abled people are affected by things we take for granted. 

I was at the dentist yesterday and we got to talking about music and my vinyl collecting and he said "I bet tapes are gonna come back, and Walkmans", told homie "they already have" haha. I really need a new tape deck because 1. it's a double-deck, you know with a recording side and a non-recording side, and the non-recording is blown and 2. I've been buying a LOT more cassettes just because vinyl has skyrocketed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

And a holder for Brynn's crutch not only seems logical and the most obvious idea in the world, but I bet they only came out with one in the last couple years because, you know... people aren't that bright and probably don't think about how differently abled people are affected by things we take for granted. 

Oh, you have no idea how convenient a cup holder on a crutch is, especially for someone like me who uses them 99% of the time!

This honestly made my day! Thanks Curt!

• Like 1

Glad to be of service!

For all that talk about buying more tapes I got a record in yesterday, two records today, waiting on a fourth, still not entirely finished with the three I got on Xmas... and oh yeah, one tape I got before Xmas too 😛 Gah... time to call a moratorium, though it's so hard.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've been buying a LOT more cassettes just because vinyl has skyrocketed. 

This right here.

I'm not planning on stopping vinyl, but I'm going to grab a cassette occasionally where, in the past, it would have been a record.

That, and I've had a few things I've liked in the last couple years come out as cassette-only releases. I like to purchase physical media when I can, especially when I can get it straight from the band/artist or on Bandcamp Friday.

• Like 1

For real though, I didn’t get much but I didn’t want much. I got the Marvel Multiverse RPG guide and Kang expansion so I’ll be hitting up @SirFozzie for some advice or help on that. I got the complete MCU timeline coffee table book which is cool as fuck since I love the MCU. Some MCU Funkos, a Doctor Who shirt that has EVERY Doctor on it including the Tennant bigeneration Doctor and Gatwa, Adventure Time pajamas, and a Rocketbook which if you don’t know what it is, look it up because it’s cool as hell.

Most of my fun and my wife’s fun comes from watching the kids open up their stuff. My youngest turned 2 in August and she seemed to really get Christmas this year and had a blast. My oldest is 13 and she got a bunch of cool nerdy shit. I did say this would be the last year we went overboard on everyone just because I think we get them so much stuff and maybe 1/4 of it they remember and the rest is just extra stuff, but my wife and I can’t help but spoil them.

Just today I’m starting to try and pick up the mess from Christmas to try to reclaim my living room and family room, but when there’s so much stuff for the kids, it’s hard to find a home for it all in the house. For both kids i think we’re going to have to go through and just be like, ok, a ton of this stuff you have that you don’t use needs to be donated or put in storage.