DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Yep. I know he's short, but the money is in the Bowens single run. He has such a connection with the crowd and is very smooth.

Very true. I have a strong feeling Max Caster has a money-making singles run that could eclipse his more in-ring-skilled partner. Caster's improved so much, and I don't sense his progression has been terribly stunted by the more recent lackluster fare. 

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Once Billy Gunn became their full time partner instead of sometime manager, they became a Flanderized one-note comedy gimmick act.  They never were great but they were at least better than they are now.  They were at least interesting, say, when feuding with Sting and Darby.  

They went from being CB4 to being Wacky D.

Excellent CB4 reference.

They've kinda always been up and down. Just looking over at Cagematch for what they were doing around that Sting/Darby match back in early 2022. Mostly squashes and warm-ups. The association and fallout with the Anus Boys was fun. The aforementioned All Out match with Swerve/Keith Lee was a high point. Their runs with Gold have been underwhelming. Too many challengers lacking enough crediblity. Or in some cases, challengers under the level of the true title threats. Often a rinse-repeat issue with a lot of the title holders whom aren't properly and Freshly Squeezed.

• Like 2

I think Caster could also have a good singles run, he’s a weird dude with a lot of personality and some ring skills. But Bowens is capable of having a world title run. I’ve said before he and Fletcher are my picks to be top card guys within a couple years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Once Billy Gunn became their full time partner instead of sometime manager, they became a Flanderized one-note comedy gimmick act.  They never were great but they were at least better than they are now.  They were at least interesting, say, when feuding with Sting and Darby.  

They went from being CB4 to being Wacky D.

Did I mention before that I can dance?

I don't have much to add on The Acclaimed.  They got over by improving in the ring and then they leaned too much into the comedy schtick like a lot of AEW has.  I think they were feuding with Jarrett etc. in a bunch of garbage matches?  They basically became fast forward material for me.  I wasn't a fan of The Acclaimed getting the trios titles because AEW established them as workrate belts with the best of 7 and The Elite as the first champs, House of Black was fine but muddied with the House Rules stuff....now the belts are basically forgotten after being the main focus of television to kick off the year

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Over the next couple of months Hayter, Thunder Rosa, Deeb, and Tay (and maybe Ford) all likely come back. The division needs an influx.

They desperately need Hayter back for sure.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Over the next couple of months Hayter, Thunder Rosa, Deeb, and Tay (and maybe Ford) all likely come back. The division needs an influx.

Jamie Hayter is the standout. You're right, the division needs an influx and much better booking.

Thunder Rosa:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aews-thunder-rosa-i-am-ready-to-return

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

They need direction and to be able to wrestle more than one match per show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Jamie Hayter, Oui! Oui! Deeb, Oui, Oui! Might be a bit quick on New Mother Tay, no? I'm happy Rosa's recovered, but have little desire to see her wrestle again. Even the Greenhornes have surpassed her sloppy level of play. Stoked for Hayter and Deeb. Also stoked for the debut of Mariah May. 

• Like 1

At this point I think Rampage should be the women's show.  I bet it would do better ratings.  Have the women in angles on the other shows, do the matches on Fridays.

I'm definitely a fan of women's wrestling.  If I were going to watch WWE these days it would be to see Ripley, Bianca or the new Damage CTL.  The big women's matches at WM have generally been my favorite matches the last several years (Bianca and Sasha in particular).  AEW ain't doing it for me.  More often than not I'm fast forwarding thru the matches now, and that was never a reflexive thing for me

Toni is case in point.  I've been meaning to bring this up for a while.  I HATE Timeless Toni.  Toni Storm was my favorite female in AEW, loved everything about her going back to NXT.  Now I fucking fast forward her segments.  When you take someone I would tune in to watch and manage to produce the complete opposite result YOUR BOOKING SUCKS.  This gimmick is cringe and it doesn't work in the ring.  I liked it when she was slowly losing her mind and it was a smaller character tic, then they did the WWE thing and ran it into the fucking ground

They have talent but the division needs a complete overhaul

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution

On 12/10/2023 at 2:14 PM, Octopus said:

When Jungle Boy returns he should come out to Cult of Personality 

Bring him back with a black-and-white vignette where he buries his black leather jacket on a desert road.

Lights go out, Baltimora hits, crowd goes nuts, nobody brings up the heel turn again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Bring him back with a black-and-white vignette where he buries his black leather jacket on a desert road.

Lights go out, Baltimora hits, crowd goes nuts, nobody brings up the heel turn again.

This but in TNA 

• Haha 2