DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

1. Sick Kingston shirt

2. Can you explain Japanese style Chinese food? I get the feeling you have before but refresh my memory. (Then again, I'm only familiar with American-style Chinese food, which tends to be a bunch of thick gloppy corn starch-based sauces on fried meats)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When someone (a board search shows @Zakk_Sabbath) posed the hypothetical way back in January what you would name your promotion, my assertion is that you already have had every possible combo of "World", "(E)xtreme", "Global", "US/A", "International", "Universal", "Federation", and "Championship Wrestling" you can think of. 

I really do miss the days where any respectable wrestling company used the “geographic reach + WRESTLING + organization type”  naming convention.  World Wrestling Federation.  National Wrestling Alliance.”  

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Matt Hardy's promotion wasn't called Pro Wrestling Omega, or Omega Pro Wrestling. It was called The Organisation of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts.

Political unrest, stabilize society, yeah!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

What is this exactly? Being a guy that bootscrapes you then kicks you in the face in the corner? 

"well, you're a free agent, and the best in the world, and you're the big free agent signing"

"you'll pay me big, right?"

"We're Impact Wrestling, so.. not exactly"

I guess "really good wrestler who can do anything" isn't technically a gimmick.

At least this is a better concept than at least one NFL rando who said Ohtani getting 700M would be like Younghoe Koo getting 700M

The WWF literally made Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz just so Vince and Lawler could do "Is he a pitcher or a catcher?" jokes on commentary. Even with that, they had to fit in about 150 other now really, really dated pop culture references in between. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

It was also the time of the baseball strike 

Video | Facebook

hey remember when Bret was in a rap video?

Rascalz - Game Time / Sharpshooter (Best of the Best) feat. Bret The Hitman Hart - YouTube

The funny thing about the "Our Season Never Ends" ads is that they started airing those, and Randy Savage was gone like two weeks later and on WCW TV. THE BEST. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

That's so cool!

Going to Japan and having beers with @Gordi the former AEW fan is near the top of my bucket list 

There have been at least three people from here or SC or PWO who have made it out to Osaka for drinks and wrestling and it was ALWAYS a GREAT time. Ohtani's Jacket, who helped me out with advice when I was moving here, The Cobra 2, who has become one of my closest friends in real life, and Dangerous A, who co-wrote the EXCELLENT Scott Norton book and who came over with the Osaka Holiday Paradise crew. I am probably forgetting somebody obvious, too. There have been a LOT of wrestling/drinking parties over the past 14 years.

Of course it's fun to hang out and talk wrestling, etc, with fellow wrestling nerds. But,so far, it's always been even more fun than you'd imagine. And so far my Japanese wrestling friends have always gotten along with and enjoyed meeting my gaijin wrestling friends. And I'd love to keep that streak going.

I imagine we'd have a great time, Infinit.

Really, if anyone who can drink without being a dick makes it out to Osaka/Kyoto/Nara and wants to hang, send me a pm. Preferably well ahead of time. (If you don't drink, wrestling and food might still be do-able).

Sadly, Osaka Pro no longer runs daily shows, so there's no guarantee...

There are shows almost every day in Tokyo, but it's generally too far and too expensive for me. Will probably head there for a G1 final or Dome or Budokan show one day. And a Korakuen show is 100% on my bucket list. 

Anyway, the invitation is open, and sincere.

7VBl48Y.jpg

(at Bodybar with Cobra 2)

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Sick Kingston shirt

2. Can you explain Japanese style Chinese food? I get the feeling you have before but refresh my memory. (Then again, I'm only familiar with American-style Chinese food, which tends to be a bunch of thick gloppy corn starch-based sauces on fried meats)

Japanese style Chinese food might be my single favourite genre of food. Generally it's not deep fried, and generally there are no gloopy gloppy sauces. Though, the two pictures I posted are of deep fried chicken and tofu in gloppy spicy sauce  😀

The spice is a lot milder than "real" Chinese food, and the dishes are lighter than American style. The sauces are never overly sugary. Fried gyoza (potstickers/dumplings) fried rice, shrimp in (mild) chili sauce, tan tan men (spicy sesame taste noodle soup) and shredded beef with green peppers and onions are all mainstays.

And I was REALLY happy they had that shirt in my size.

Might be fun to go to Oshyo Gyoza or Kemuri and Flower one day with a DVDVR crew!

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

And you know, I've nothing against gloopy fried chicken bits at all, just to emphasize that. The buffet has one of the greatest fried dishes ever: Peanut Chicken (sliced, only top and bottom breaded and fried chik cuts in a beautiful peanut sauce). I go there specifically for that to mix with my typical dose of Sesame Chicken, potstickers and noodles. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If Okada could do anything in the world as a wrestler, I'd like his matches more...

Personally, I'd just like it if the Meltzer/AEW crowd would admit that the top NJPW guys got surpassed in terms of match quality by the top NOAH/AJPW guys years ago. Danielson vs. guys like Nakajima or Miyahara or Kenoh would be a way better match than Okada at this point...

• Like 1

Heres a comment that doesn't warrant a thread if there ever were one:

I'm killing time before the games and WOW is on local TV - the ring announcer (Lauren, but I didn't catch her last name) is one of the most beautiful humans I've ever seen, but her delivery sounds like "It's Raining Men" karaoke. "From the Booooooooard of Edu-CAY-tion, the CLASSMASTERRRRR." It's gotta be heard to be believed. No AJ on commentary yet this week btw in case anyone cares

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

The reason Okada gets brought up is that he’s the biggest star in Japan and closest thing they have to a crossover star here and he’s still an excellent wrestler.

I still love Okada, but I attribute some of his falling off to him just slowing down a little, Kenny leaving, Naito being a shell of who he used to be, Tanahashi (who I really never liked) turning into dust, and poor competition within NJPW. That’s why any time lil Kazu does anything with someone not in NJPW it’s usually awesome. Quality wise, Miyahara and Kenoh are better, but they’re just lacking in the aura and fame Okada has. Plus, I think Okada translates really well to non-Japanese audiences. He wrestles a western style, but mixes in fighting spirit with the authenticity that indie wrestlers wish they could do. 

AEW fans are also more exposed to NJPW than NOAH, DDT, or AJPW. I still keep my NJPW World subscription because I’m more familiar with the wrestlers, storylines, and factions. Everything else I catch in a vacuum by downloading from XWT or watching elsewhere. Meltzer and Alvarez sound like they’re in the same boat. There’s also too much good wrestling to watch. However, more and more I consider switching from NJPW World something that will let me watch full NOAH or DDT shows.

I do feel like NJPW is at something of a tipping point to ushering in new top stars who could be as good as NOAH’s or AJPW’s best.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Technico Support said:

really do miss the days where any respectable wrestling company used the “geographic reach + WRESTLING + organization type”  naming convention.  World Wrestling Federation.  National Wrestling Alliance.”  

FWIW, for that particular project, I ended up settling on doing a variation of just that: a third national TV promotion based out of NYC/the northeastern US named Empire Ring Alliance (E.R.A.) I was smugly proud of myself for that backronym (despite its unoriginality, with Empire Wrestling Federation being both a CA indy and a fictional promotion from the THQ games). I wanted to try to somehow monetize it on a stream or something, but I thought I might have trouble trademarking it.

@Gordi the former AEW fanI have still yet to fly on a plane in my life but if I'm ever able to get a month off work to hop on a freighter, I promise to buy you a round up in the cheap seats at the Dome. Great pics as always man

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Watching Vader/Dustin King of Cable Semis from 1992.

I'm of the opinion Dustin had the best sunset flip of any wrestler. 

It's a conversation I don't think we've had on here? Best sunset flip guy?

I always thought Johnny B. Badd's was great, especially considering the difficulty level of doing it from the top.

• Like 3