DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 11/27 - 12/3/2023 - Now With More CM Punk Than Ever!

Dolfan in NYC

It would be a little weird if there was too much creative direction for someone who officially wasn't gonna considering being in the WWE until last week (and wasn't signed until Saturday)

Anyways, 2 months until the Rumble, and Christmas/New Year's are on Mondays, so the Raw storytelling over this might be paced in an interesting fashion.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Over the top company man Punk and people’s reaction to it may be my new “won’t turn heel” Cody, where I love it and people start collectively losing their minds. Huge potential. 

You just jinxed Punk with a neck tattoo 

• Haha 1

That was maybe the most soulless version of the First Dance promo he could have cut. The real funny thing is, I was talking to my friend again about Punk and talking about how long he would last I started talking about how I can't think of another modern wrestler who cares so much about money as CM Punk. Like, this dude still talks about his brother stealing money from their backyard wrestling fed and that was when he was a teen. MOVE. ON. LET IT GO. And I said to my friend, "CM Punk is just constantly all about money money money money money money. And maybe being in WWE and being a cog in the machine and not giving so much of a shit about trying to run it as a business like he did in AEW will make him happier." And then I laughed my ass off when he said into the camera, "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money."

Just, everything about that promo felt borderline gross. "I'm home." "It was all kisses on the mouth and hugs in the back." Whatever. He's the one who has to go to sleep at night knowing everything he's said on a podcast, everything he's said in a courtroom, everything he's said in private to his wife, everything he said in AEW, and then contradict all of that with...this fucking garbage from tonight. What a disappointment. Can't wait until he pitches a fit about Susan G. Komen, or not being allowed to wear political t-shirts in Texas, or whatever the fuck. 

And yeah, you can say to all of that, "well, he's making millions of dollars, I'm sure he'll sleep just fine." IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH HE MAKES. It's never enough for him. Ever. Everything eats at this dude and if money were the salve for that then he would have been happy as fuck in AEW. Except he wasn't. And he won't be here. 

I'm curious to see what he looks like in the ring and what booking decisions are made, but my complete and total investment in Punk is just shot and that's a bummer. Something about dying the hero or living long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

I’m very interested in this era Punk. I was underwhelmed by this but I feel it was perfect for die hard sand brand loyal fans. His use of the term Home will lead to much back patting and hometown pride. Some of the comments and reactions I’ve scrolled past in places like Tik Tok comments sections and YouTube have been very positive.

If we get a lot of this, I won’t be interested for long. I do feel this is a less spectacular version of when Bray returned and gave an emotional promo thanking the fans. This is the bookings way of having a clean slate on previous failed moments (in CM Punk’s case very public backstage issues and how he previously hated the company) to let the fans know we’ll see something special. Hopefully, at least that’s the goal. A soliloquy before the play. 

Let’s see where we go from here. Both in terms of on camera and if the drama can stay just on the screen. 

Remind me later to derp about me returning to my job. 

The “PG Punk” thing is silly, as is the seemingly-prescient associated clip of Max and Punk’s first promo duel that I’ve seen going around on social media. Because that was the same knock on Punk when he was first just dipping his toes back in the first time. And yet that was the first big interaction (the one that gave us “PG Punk”) in a feud that ramped up to him recapturing his edge and needing to become the monster to face the monsters of the world. Like I’m not expecting bloody dog collar Punk ever again, but people overreacting to a simple reintroduction sans further context of what’s to come is funny because we’ve literally been here before a few weeks into his AEW run.

Also, people are seemingly allergic to the guy seeming healthy and balanced (even if he’s only presenting as such) but also insist he needs to chill and go to therapy. Pick a lane. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I think the Punk promo was pretty brilliant because it got a lot of people to tune in and he said...well nothing really. But the crowd cheered where they were supposed to cheer and there were a lot of soundbites that will get posted on social media and re-posted and discussed and Punk is really good at saying nothing and making it sound important. And a lot of people (maybe not the ones who wanted him to trash AEW or bury Vince McMahon etc. etc.) will tune in and keep tuning in to see if he says anything else or who his first feud will be with (I was actually thinking tonight how a great first feud for him could be...Logan Paul actually).

Loved the tag team turmoil for just how little of a shit that crowd gave for the Creeds at the start of the match and for how they completely came alive for them when taller Creed (I can't figure out their names) did his repeated suplexes/kip-ups spot and by the end were chanting and cheering their heads off. That move where taller Creed vaulted to the top rope, missed, then sprang back up was actually more impressive than if he'd hit it clean. I seriously don't know how he got up there so fast after missing the landing. I think once the crowd watches the Creeds some more, they will be into them more. I don't understand why they spent so much time building them up in NXT, only to give them such a tepid, anticlimactic debut on Raw.

Nakamura talking about chaos is kind of a fun deal. I wonder if there's any chance of him leading a Chaos stable in WWE. 

Ivar-Reed was pretty good, then got great when they were brawling in the crowd. Is the other Raider hurt? I'm enjoying Ivar's singles run and his moonsault always gets a great reaction but he is going to destroy his knees if he keeps doing it every match.

Zoey-Nia was more competitive than I was expecting. I'm not terribly interested in Nia in 2023. Zoey does some stuff that I don't see too many other wrestlers doing (that flipping vault into the ring thing gets me every time!). I think she works better as a heel because her promos are a little middle-of-the-road but she's so good in the rng, she might just get over that way, as well.

Edited by caley
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, caley said:

taller Creed (I can't figure out their names)

Tall Creed is Julius. Bulkier Creed is Brutus.

53 minutes ago, caley said:

Is the other Raider hurt?

Yep. Erik Rowe needed surgery and will be out probably until the spring or summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

329662909_707642350830020_90186142588805

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

Honestly though, Disney had some great villains. Captain Hook, Cruella De Vil, Ursula, Scar, Hades, Jafar, etc. I like Punk but he’s no Lady Tremaine. 
As a face he’s going against a murder’s row of top notch promos of Disney Princesses like Belle, Ariel, Tiana, Jasmine, Moana, etc. He’d get blown up if he had too long of a match with Mulan. 

let me introduce you to Viperess!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Triple H gets Jelly Roll...  a huge step up from Vince who wanted Conway Twitty.

Somewhere Vince was watching the segment and screaming "I WANTED A TOOTSIE ROLL NOT JELLY ROLL DAMN IT" .  And I definitely don't mean the 95 South version as well.  

If Punk's new character is that he is the new Kevin Nash meaning the business is about money and not "elevating the business" or "changing the business"  then the promo last night was a great start.  if that isn't the plan then low level version is going to fail.  But it will solve one problem and ensure that Seth Rollins isn't getting booed.  While his title run has been stale lately, he can't turn heel again. 

Edited by hammerva

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

That was maybe the most soulless version of the First Dance promo he could have cut. The real funny thing is, I was talking to my friend again about Punk and talking about how long he would last I started talking about how I can't think of another modern wrestler who cares so much about money as CM Punk. Like, this dude still talks about his brother stealing money from their backyard wrestling fed and that was when he was a teen. MOVE. ON. LET IT GO. And I said to my friend, "CM Punk is just constantly all about money money money money money money. And maybe being in WWE and being a cog in the machine and not giving so much of a shit about trying to run it as a business like he did in AEW will make him happier." And then I laughed my ass off when he said into the camera, "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money."

Just, everything about that promo felt borderline gross. "I'm home." "It was all kisses on the mouth and hugs in the back." Whatever. He's the one who has to go to sleep at night knowing everything he's said on a podcast, everything he's said in a courtroom, everything he's said in private to his wife, everything he said in AEW, and then contradict all of that with...this fucking garbage from tonight. What a disappointment. Can't wait until he pitches a fit about Susan G. Komen, or not being allowed to wear political t-shirts in Texas, or whatever the fuck. 

And yeah, you can say to all of that, "well, he's making millions of dollars, I'm sure he'll sleep just fine." IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH HE MAKES. It's never enough for him. Ever. Everything eats at this dude and if money were the salve for that then he would have been happy as fuck in AEW. Except he wasn't. And he won't be here. 

I'm curious to see what he looks like in the ring and what booking decisions are made, but my complete and total investment in Punk is just shot and that's a bummer. Something about dying the hero or living long enough to see yourself become the villain.

100% THIS. The promo had echoes of his 'pipebomb' when he announced was leaving too. CM Punk basically realized he can't beat the WWE so why not join them again? He's turned into the very thing he was against. How will Punk do when WWE goes back to Saudi Arabia next year? What about his wearing his trans rights shirts in places like Texas, Georgia, or Florida? His opinions about abortion and his shirts for those as well? CM Punk will be foregoing all of that just to make money in WWE. He had everything he ever wanted in AEW too; he just couldn't get out of the way of himself to get it.

When the whole time - the problem has been CM Punk. He goes to AEW and causes himself problems but with a younger group (Jack Perry / Young Bucks / Kenny Omega / Adam Page) so if he has the same problems but with people closer to his age (Seth Rollins / Kingston / Cody Rhodes / etc) then it's over.

Hopefully, when Punk gets whatever he wanted out of his time in WWE, he'll be officially done with wrestling. I don't really want to see a over 50 year old CM Punk still trying to do another comeback (AEW again? Impact / TNA? NJPW? NWA if Billy Corgan hasn't gone out of business? CZW if they're around? GCW if they're around?) after this.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He might not be able to wear shirts that support causes he cares about, but to suggest his opinions on those might change because he’s in WWE again is fucking DUMB.

And yeah let’s keep pretending WWE hasn’t had talent that didn’t do the Saudi shows if they didn’t want to. Okay.

Well the main reason why you won't be seeing those shirts is because the people he works for isn't the biggest supporters of said positions.  At least if they want to keep one member of the McMahon family happy (Linda).  Plus I am sure the UFC side of the company wouldn't want to see it given who they are so desperate to pander too

As far as Saudi shows,  if Sami Zayn who has way strong convictions in his beliefs is going to appear now then Punk will definitely be there.  

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

He might not be able to wear shirts that support causes he cares about, but to suggest his opinions on those might change because he’s in WWE again is fucking DUMB.

And yeah let’s keep pretending WWE hasn’t had talent that didn’t do the Saudi shows if they didn’t want to. Okay.

I'm not saying Punk's opinions will have changed, he just won't be able to vocalize those opinions on WWE shows or capitalize on those opinions through merchandise sales. It's kinda like indie bands that go to major labels - everything that made them unique is changed to fit in with the major labels.

• Like 1