DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

It does feel too soon after what right or wrong he put diehard fans through over the last 2 years. I felt like once it became clear that he could still go at a high level it was only a matter of time before WWE cane calling. In my opinion, WWE should have left well enough alone. They’re doing great right now and he’s clearly not well.

Right, 2 years ago then they probably could have used him but even then it was a different corporate structure. I'd be naive to believe that they shouldn't have their guards up but I think Punk had a vested interest in making AEW a true Competitor.  I don't think he'll care that much for WWE to make it better outside of just Wrestlers he himself takes interest in. It's not like he didn't have any friends in WWE most of which are in pretty good spots like New Day and some other people. I don't see him taking things to serious like in AEW to where he even gets upset to the level he did there

I'm into the return, if Punk is the adult he claims to be he'll make it work. If not, it'll confirm a lot of rumors out there and a few folks will get to say I told you so. We'll find out, it'll be fun either way. I don't think they should reference AEW at all. Leave it be. That'll be the first test to me, I'm sure someone will imply something in a promo but if he gets petty about his exit I'm going to be disappointed. Take Cody's approach, legally Punk may have to anyway. But if he drops a familiar looking sack into a garbage can on his way into the arena tomorrow night I would laugh, I am who I am

I think Seth was working, Michael Cole isn't strong enough to hold him back with one arm. If WWE instills anything in its employees its that business comes first, everyone's going into this with their eyes open. At this point everyone has to understand Punk's physical limitations too, it will be interesting to see how often he works. Has he become the part timer he once complained about? I guess that depends on if he's taking a spot away from younger talent. In AEW he seemed to want to elevate people, I hope he does the same here after an introductory feud with Rollins. Like I wouldn't change any plans for Wrestlemania or anything but I could see Punk/Dom opening night one 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet: Has WWE started... *trying* with their PPV sets again?

Kind of the opposite TBH, they wanted to open up more seats so they went with the minimal set up of just one long set of screens at the floor level at one entry ramp. 

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Glad to know HHH and Nick Khan also do t-shirt and web design.

I mean in TV cannon, WWE wrestlers are adept with heavy machine operation and photo shop so why not? 🤣

Right as I turned to my wife to say, "see they didn't need him, they made that crowd happy just with Randy Orton going nuts." Cult of Personality hit.

I'm really just not interested. His time in AEW wore me out, which sucks because he was really having quality matches. Like him vs. Reigns sounds fun, but after all the shenanigans I just don't want Punk around acts I'm invested in.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I know Cody has said several times that he didn’t leave AEW over cm punk, but Cody’s also the guy who told the “locker room leader” story to a room full of wrestling fans. I don’t think there’s any love lost between those two guys.

I mean Punk caused major issues in the company Cody founded. Cody didn't exactly make it a secret that he was unhappy with the Punk/AEW issues when he heard about them. Things will be fine mostly because Cody tries to be political about these things when they come up.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Damian Priest might as well throw his briefcase in the trash.

Do people think Priest actually has a shot in hell at winning the title? Seems rather obvious Priest is just keeping the briefcase warm for an actual main eventer. I like him, but he is realistically at Corbin's level at best. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Sad 1

Will be interesting to see how they sort out the scene for WM without having Cody win the Rumble in back to back years. I think a Rumble winner deciding to take a shot at the Raw title instead of the World title might need some reason to not hurt their credibility or the credibility of the Roman title.

If they have a way out of the Roman title reign, they really haven't tipped their hand about it right now. Which is the sort of issue they have going with Gunther's IC reign and Rhea Ripley's title reign too. At least in the case of Gunther, there's a way to have him drop the title where he has a logical reason to not try to immediately get the title back (Gunther loses due to X and Gunther goes off to kill X before being pulled towards bigger things). In the case of Rhea, she's holding the belt through Australia.

Hell, have LA Knight win the Rumble and get the ball rolling towards that Cody heel turn that's never actually gonna happen.

Cody claimed he and Punk were dinner buddies and on good terms in AEW.

“I also had a great relationship with Punk. He was my dinner buddy,” Rhodes said. “They’d order dinner for me at AEW every week as one of my management perks or whatever. I don’t think he knew, I always just put it on my tab because I wanted to make sure he was getting something too, salmon or sushi. We didn’t talk a lot, but I had a great relationship. We’d still chat, and I was so excited to have him back. If you remember when he came back, everyone was fired up about that.”

https://youtu.be/MdN9uPST-sA

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Cody claimed he and Punk were dinner buddies and on good terms in AEW.

https://youtu.be/MdN9uPST-sA

CODY: "Punk, I made sure you got warm meals, buddy. And this is how you repay me?"

PUNK: "You think I look homeless or something? You didn't think I could get a good meal on my own dime?"

• Haha 3

Guess I will record raw for the first time in about 8 years.  

I hope this run is magic while it lasts. Regardless, reading the haters cry about it will be entertaining enough.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 6

Oh btw I love this shit. I unapologetically loved worked shooty bullshit. And I been wanting a real promotion war between WWE and AEW for a while, but Tony keeps playing the high road horseshit instead of having Moxley or Rusev or Keith Lee or Toni Storm or whoever do a scorched earth anti-WWE promo. Other than Punk taking some lightweight shots, the worst we've gotten is Serena Deeb (rightfully) calling Vince, Johnny, and Bucky creepy old men for making her get implants. If Tony won't go Bischoff on his own, maybe Punk can coax it out of him...

• Like 6

I'm sure there's a solid promo concept in that "scorched earth" vane that wouldn't come off like whining while behind. I'd have to think about it though.

I mean if MJF wasn't about to take a month off of doing much because he busted his hip on PPV, I guess their best line that wouldn't come off like whining would be about AEW champions being in action instead of disappearing for months (come to think of it, maybe the Punk experience doesn't help them with that line)

I guess they could put clips of MJF/Starks beating Punk into the show intros if Tony wants to channel a latent Bill Watts approach here.

18 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Oh btw I love this shit. I unapologetically loved worked shooty bullshit. And I been wanting a real promotion war between WWE and AEW for a while, but Tony keeps playing the high road horseshit instead of having Moxley or Rusev or Keith Lee or Toni Storm or whoever do a scorched earth anti-WWE promo. Other than Punk taking some lightweight shots, the worst we've gotten is Serena Deeb (rightfully) calling Vince, Johnny, and Bucky creepy old men for making her get implants. If Tony won't go Bischoff on his own, maybe Punk can coax it out of him...

Was this high road horseshit?

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1712494953270522170 

On punk: Everybody has been salivating for this since he got shit. I myself don't give two tugs of a dead dog's dick. Whatever you see him doing is gonna be a collaboration of Trips/Punks so he can feel like he came out on that job. WWE doesn't give a fuck anymore because it's TKO, and if you thought Punk's comments about working with children backstage in AEW was a slap in the face to the boys in the back, then his mixtape "Fuck Your Fuck Trophies" is gonna be the hottest thing to drop when he goes after literal children and families existing beyond Gorilla

This is a shit move, and I don't think it was WWE's. It's the first TKO flex.

Edited by Zac_Fu
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well, it certainly wasn't Miro saying, for instance, "Hey Vince, remember when you had Austin mock WCW for punishing him for getting over on his own? (Pause to encourage Rusev Day chants) Congratulations, you've become WCW you sack of shit!"

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Bucky as in Pat Buck?  Is this why Serena Deeb has vanished from AEW?

Uncle Pepsi needs to cut the same "Why does everyone think I'm going to be a locker room cancer? I'm just here to make this company better" promo that the nWo did at no Way out 2002.

If he's going to be in the wrestling business, I want him to be happy and healthy, not miserable and picking fights with his co-workers.

He's a draw, and it doesn't matter what company he's in - it's good news for both companies if Punk fans are watching pro wrestling.

• Like 2

I really am not excited for Punk. Everyone has their own taste obviously. But worked-shoot stuff to me is empty calorie cheap heat — kind of the same thing as, say, insulting a local hockey team (another Punk specialty.)

My tastes lean much more into how wrestlers use character work to tell their stories. I think a lot of wrestling fans are over that. The Bloodline ran its course (or is on pause) but it was the best storyline in WWE history, IMO. There was almost zero work-shoot stuff in it, and Paul Heyman — who leaned into work-shoot stuff harder than anyone — is actively involved. 

I really can’t remember a Punk promo I dug in AEW. The only one I really remember was the one with Kingston, and Eddie stole the show by delivering his material with real emotion while Punk was saying cornball stuff like “ST. LOUIS KNOWS!!!” 

If Punk was coming back as a sXe goon and tormenting other members of Rey Mysterio’s family — I would be all in. Being able to deliver stories while playing a character I am all in on. But “maybe we’ll bring back ice cream bars NOW!!!” is not for me.

• Like 7

there is a certain spirit of 2000s indy wrestling that CM Punk represents, which is probably a bit of a matter of taste (or a matter of if you experienced that scene too)

without knowing which WWE people were in Punk's phone contacts, I'd think one of those contacts may have unintentionally made this all a reality (maybe not Paul Heyman, but Paul Heyman feels like someone who could have gotten the sides in contact with each other)

• Like 5