DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I kind of feel bad for Andy from Kansas probably having to Join The Universe as well, with Cody AND Punk over there now. 

Not joking, I was pulling for Impact to close the deal so bad, just give him the book and let him turn it into the Collision Zone.

Praying for better times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been enjoying AEW lately. But then I head on over here and it’s all doom and gloom.  Last few PPVs have been awesome. There’s a round robin tourney with literally twelve of the best wrestlers in the world going on right now on free (ish) tv. I mean, I get that some stories aren’t really firing right now, but let’s be honest. That’s been AEW all along. 

• Like 13

Yeah just because I love Punk doesn’t negate my love for AEW. Obviously there are things I’m not too hyped for currently within the promotion, mainly the World champion, but the rise of Swerve and this tournament (even though the mere existence of points for a draw makes me think there’s gonna be more than a few) still has me excited. If Omega could get away from Jericho & Ibushi and just do top tier matches again I’d be stoked. I’ve been the board’s biggest Toni Storm in AEW fan since she debuted.

I don’t know where this bizarre narrative came from that I’m “jumping ship”. Oh no, I’m watching Raw, that must mean I’m not an AEW fan anymore. Get the fuck outta here.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm still playing catch up, but we're getting Andrade vs Garcia, Kingston vs Danielson, and King vs Claudio on Saturday, right? Because that sounds like the best wrestling TV show of the year maybe.

Not super interested in Andrade/Garcia tbh, but the other two matches should fucking slap for sure. I need Brody/Danielson now.

Collision side is definitely the better bracket, IMO. I only care about Swerve on the Dynamite side. Love me some Rush, but it’s obvious he’s there (along with Lethal & Briscoe) to just take falls against the bigger names.

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not super interested in Andrade/Garcia tbh, but the other two matches should fucking slap for sure. I need Brody/Danielson now.

Collision side is definitely the better bracket, IMO. I only care about Swerve on the Dynamite side. Love me some Rush, but it’s obvious he’s there (along with Lethal & Briscoe) to just take falls against the bigger names.

Enough top guys get injured and they'll have to push RUSH dammit.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah just because I love Punk doesn’t negate my love for AEW. Obviously there are things I’m not too hyped for currently within the promotion, mainly the World champion, but the rise of Swerve and this tournament (even though the mere existence of points for a draw makes me think there’s gonna be more than a few) still has me excited. If Omega could get away from Jericho & Ibushi and just do top tier matches again I’d be stoked. I’ve been the board’s biggest Toni Storm in AEW fan since she debuted.

I don’t know where this bizarre narrative came from that I’m “jumping ship”. Oh no, I’m watching Raw, that must mean I’m not an AEW fan anymore. Get the fuck outta here.

I'm operating under the assumption that most people have limited free time and energy. 

To me, being an AEW fan is a 4+ hour/week investment, WWE 5+ hours... Plus various YouTube shows, PPV/PLEs etc. 

I have to make choices where to spend my time & energy during G1 season, for example. And I am ALWAYS burned out when it's over, even though I enjoy myself tremendously while it's going on.

If you have time and energy to follow both companies closely, more power to you!

Also, w/r/t QT leaving hitting me hard, the other reason is because he has a big role in working with and developing younger wrestlers. I LOVED watching Darby and Orange and Hobbs and Hayter and etc etc grow and develop and what hits me hard is that QT leaving feels like a VERY clear sign that the shift is away from home-growing fresh talent and hard into bringing in New Toys to play with. 

Doesn't mean that Ospreay in AEW won't be amazing, or that I am suddenly not stoked for Saturday's matches. 

Does mean that it's going to be WAY harder for the potential next Orange Cassidy or Willow Nightingale to break through. Because the FOCUS is elsewhere, now.

Edit: To be clear, though, AEW remains my favourite American pro wrestling company, even if my hardcore fan  passion is gone. 

Edit: Upside is it clears out some extra free time for me to train for the Chikara no Ishi Soja stone-lifting competition next summer, in Okayama!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

I think both things can be true. TK is always going to bring in new toys for the collection, but I don’t think that means the development and usage of “home grown” or younger talent will just stop. QT being gone doesn’t mean that someone else can’t step in and fill that role.

Unless they trademarked the East West Express and are going to have Nick Wayne tag with Dolph Ziggler or some shit. But all signs point to an eventual Jordan Oliver signing and debut.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yeah just because I love Punk doesn’t negate my love for AEW.

Nope. You have to change your username to either Casey Khan or CaseyM Punk. You have until midnight to make this decision.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm still playing catch up, but we're getting Andrade vs Garcia, Kingston vs Danielson, and King vs Claudio on Saturday, right? Because that sounds like the best wrestling TV show of the year maybe.

I’m so excited for Saturday! I always get my times mixed up so I’ll probably set an alarm clock. 

1 hour ago, Log said:

Last few PPVs have been awesome. 

The Danielson vs Sabre Jr match I’m still buzzing about and is too 3 (penciled in at 2) for me all time. Hangman drinking Swerve’s blood was a fantastic moment I will now always think about for the AEW style Texas Deathmatch. The strap match was an all time icky great me uncomfortably giggling watch. 

I’ve become very critical but I am very positive about the things I do love. 

45 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I'm operating under the assumption that most people have limited free time and energy. 

Lil Octopus has been 2 for a week now. He is all energy all the time! Loves sprinting around the living room and bodyslaming his dad. My time is very limited. 
I catch the Dynamites I can. If there’s good matches I’ll have a stream on my phone and half have my own wrestling match while I watch. I try to watch the hood Collisions.

I don’t watch WWE but keep up to date with the fun moments. I have Peacock so in theory I can watch PLE’s when I remember. 

I can’t watch more outside of hyped matches. I do like wrestling podcasts though. Driving and getting ready in the morning is usually when I listen. 

Lil Octopus winds down around 8ish and we get him to bed (or at least attempt to) soon after that. So I’ll catch most of the last hour of one of those shows. But that’s when I get most of my wrestling watching in. Right now I’ve been doing more editing. Buuuut, work had some slow moments so yesterday secretly I rewatched El Satanico vs Gran Chocise and Negro Casa vs El Hijo Del Santos from 97. I have a desk in the basement of my work and it’s pretty chill when I’m doing stuff. But sadly it sounds like the photo finishing guy was super behind and didn’t tell anyone so my time to both fuck around and actually do my own work is going to be shortened. All wrestling is now cancelled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Wasn’t Red Velvet an in-house trainee? 

any way whilst we are all doom saying wishing for days gone by let’s bring back Joey Ryan’s penis druids 

She might train there, like a lot of other people, but she’s wasn’t a blank slate talent that eventually graduated. She’s been wrestling for like 8 years.

@Octopus I choose CaseyM Punk, please and thank you. Punk got me back into wrestling after Benoit ruined it for me. I wouldn’t even care about wrestling currently probably if that pipebomb promo didn’t exist.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

It is for me! 

This is definitely a heat-of-the-moment overreaction, BUT... I also think losing QT is unironically worse than losing Punk. Not for anything on-screen obviously, but having a never-WWE guy in a position of creative and development is an underrated aspect of having and sustaining a truly alternative product.

That said, I think if they build around their real 4 pillars of MJF, Ospreay, Swerve, and Hangman, they'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

@Octopus I choose CaseyM Punk, please and thank you. Punk got me back into wrestling after Benoit ruined it for me. I wouldn’t even care about wrestling currently probably if that pipebomb promo didn’t exist.

Alright, I’ll inform the admins about the name change during our nightly hour long best friend chat. I may not be a red letter but I’m kinda a big deal.

🤡😎🤠  Don’t ask them about it because it’s a secret club.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Log said:

I’ve been enjoying AEW lately. But then I head on over here and it’s all doom and gloom.  Last few PPVs have been awesome. There’s a round robin tourney with literally twelve of the best wrestlers in the world going on right now on free (ish) tv. I mean, I get that some stories aren’t really firing right now, but let’s be honest. That’s been AEW all along. 

You can say it's a cold product but the doom and gloom narrative is a bit comical. Ratings have been more or less static for the last year plus. PPV buys are rock solid given how antiquated the model is when WWE is giving away major events for free. People are unhappy with various aspects of AEW and associating it with the business side. It gets exhausting. 

A lot of it is spin. For example, we have Papa H bragging about attendance figures at Allstate arena. Attendance figures are great and all but these are events that only a few years ago were translating into hundreds of thousands of ppv buys. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Depending on which internet wrestling writers you believe, QT Marshall either thought AEW was becoming too much like NJPW and moving away from storylines, or he thought he could be utilized on screen as a performer and he’s leaving to pursue that.

So just one of those happy situations either way

• Like 1