DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

I mean we still gotta see the brackets. If there’s guys like Takeshita missing after beating Omega, meanwhile Jeff Hardy is in the mix like their last world title tournament, it’s just more of the same.

The lineup could be underwhelming for sure, but people also need to be realistic about it. I'm seeing people fantasy book it with the absolute top 12 guys in the company, which, there's no way. Somebody has to end up at the bottom of the pack going 0-5 or 1-4. Those people are probably going to be lower-tier wrestlers.

I do think someone like an Action Andretti is much more likely to be in it than a Jeff Hardy. Someone who's not too broken down to wrestle 5 weeks of singles matches.

• Like 1

Where are people getting five matches per wrestler/30 matches in total? A 12-person round robin tournament requires 66 matches. Unless they're using "round robin" in a non-standard way.

(Five round of Swiss would get you 30 matches total. Or if it were essentially two 6-person round robins with the winners facing off in the finals.)

I'm not doing any math (ever) so I'll just ask, is this the same as the G1 -- length, matchwise -- or not. Because if so, they're making the first announced opponent the one we have for many years now wanted in the G1 but then told ourselves "he'd never make it out of there without serious injury". 

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not doing any math (ever) so I'll just ask, is this the same as the G1 -- length, matchwise -- or not. 

Maybe? How does the G1 work?

...okay fine, I'll Google it.

Seems the G1 divides wrestlers into blocks, where each block competes round-robin. Then they have a single-elim event between the top participants from each block.

For this, all I know is what Tony Khan announced on Collision, which is that it's allegedly a 12-man round-robin. As I said, that would be 66 matches with each wrestler competing 11 times. But it's entirely possible he meant something like the G1 with two blocks of six wrestlers and the winners of the two blocks competing at the PPV. But I don't think we know for sure. If more information has come out on social media or something, somebody feel free to fill it in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Where are people getting five matches per wrestler/30 matches in total? A 12-person round robin tournament requires 66 matches. Unless they're using "round robin" in a non-standard way.

(Five round of Swiss would get you 30 matches total. Or if it were essentially two 6-person round robins with the winners facing off in the finals.)

From this tweet that clarifies it's two groups of six.

• Thanks 1

Tony needs to get Yano over for this and put him in the same block as Mox so we can get a rematch of their G1 match (or make it the finals but TK is too much of a coward to have Yano win and take the belt off MJF like he should)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really don't see how this works and it is very confusing.

There are 2 groups of 6 wrestlers. Call them Group A and Group B. Everyone will wrestle a singles match against everybody else in their group, so everyone will have 5 matches.

At World's End, which will be after everyone has wrestled their 5 matches, the person with the best record in Group A wrestles the person with the best record in Group B. The winner of that match is the winner of the tournament.

To answer your earlier question about whether this is the same as the G1 in terms of length and matches - the G1 has changed over the years, but in general this AEW tournament is shorter and easier. This tournament has fewer people in it which means fewer matches, and people will have more days off in between matches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Kathleen Hanna!  Bull in the Heather!

AEW doing their own version of the G1 for Bryan is cool.  Bryan rushing back for it where he's almost guaranteed to get hurt again and put the Okada rematch in jeopardy, not so much.

I've been wanting them to do something like this for a while.  I'm worried about who ends up in it based on Tony's track record with tournaments and such.  I also don't have as much faith in Tony getting the intricate booking right as I might have a couple years ago.  Hopefully it isn't full of run ins and distractions...

a field of 12 off the top of my head, all AEW guys:

Spoiler

Danielson

Wheeler

Claudio

Garcia

Andretti (I liked this suggestion by someone earlier in the thread, need someone to have a good showing but lose a lot)

Takeshita

Kyle Fletcher

Buddy Matthews

Rush

Mark Briscoe

Roderick Strong

Jay Lethal

• Like 1

Obviously, I am pretty stoked about this tournament. Announcing Dragon and only Dragon as the first and only announced entrant is pretty genius, in terms of getting us all to think about it excitedly. 

My dream finals: Bryan vs Kingston.

My dream 12: Something like Bryan, Kingston, Hobbs, Keith Lee, Claudio, Bandido, Dustin, Brody King, Briscoe, Rush, another younger guy (maybe Starks) or a guy to play the Yano role, and also squeeze in one outsider to add spice (Suzuki, Ishii, Ospreay, Cobb...) even though it's a small field, because it's a G1 tradition.

There are at least 30 AEW wrestlers whom I'd be utterly stoked to see in a mini G1, and only a tiny handful I hope are kept away from it.

I am also curious how much of a G1 clone it will be, other than the way it's structured. Three key questions there:

1) What about MJF?

The G1 is to determine who is The Strongest, so the champ has to step up... 

But Friedman already has a TON of stuff going on. Doesn't really need to set up more challengers right at this moment.

2) Will you have crazy upsets?

It's absolutely a feature of the G1. One of the best things about it. ANYONE can, and will, lose to ANYONE at any time. There are ALWAYS some utterly unpredictable results, but never TOO many. 

I feel like Punk spread the disease of "giving a shit about wins and losses" in the AEW dressing room, and a G1 style tournament provides a lovely opportunity to re-set that bullshit. Particularly, because you are starting with Bryan and hopefully building around Bryan. Be like Byran! Err on the side of being TOO giving. 

I will be bummed if it plays out 100% predictably.

Also, if you book it NJPW style, but scaled down, you maybe don't NEED guys who are there to eat losses. The guys who are there to eat losses can be ANYONE at any time. 

But I would also be more than OK with Nicky Boy or JD Drake or Bear Boulder in that role, particularly if they get at least one juicy upset.

3) Do you want a guy to play the Yano role?

(A guy to do off the wall, creative, comedic stuff so that not every match is two guys killing one another).

Obviously, I hope they do. I LOVE Yano in the G1.

And who could play that role? I don't think you want Orange doing that, at this point, (and more on Orange later), but you could slot in Danhausen, Evil Uno, Serpentico, QT...

But you kind of need someone credible enough to get a believable upset or two over a top-level guy...

...So I am.kind of thinking Jarrett might be the best guy for that slot!

Also: 6 wrestlers times 5 matches times 2 blocks, plus finals. Nine towns. From 11/22 through 12/27.

So I am kind of expecting AEW TV to be like the COVID-era G1 shows where it's just one tournament match after another. Which: Awesome!

Presumably squeeze in one woman's match per show and some angle advancement toward the PPV.

I am also assuming that dudes who kind of have PPV matches/angles building up already (Orange, Mox, Kenny, Jericho, Takeshita, Joe, MJF, Acclaimed, etc etc) will be left out of the tournament. But that might be way off. You can use the tournament to build to stuff, through upsets and controversial finishes and so on, but hopefully they keep that to a bare minimum. 

Final thought: I figure they are actually better off booking this straight for the hardcore maniac fans. Because we exist, and we actually watch AEW wrestling. Rather than the "casual" fanbase. Which does not exist and even if it did they wouldn't watch AEW anyway. 

So go all out! Give us match after match after match of your best available guys going as hard as it's possible to go. Leave us drained and on the edge of being burned out! We all have experienced that with the G1, and/or other "projects" and we are  still here, eager for more.

Don't hold back! Don't stop when we say, "WHEN! "

Also: The NJPW tag league looks sick this year! Ishii & Yano! Suzuki & Nagata!! Archer & Zayne!! A NOAH team!! GATES OF F'N AGONY!!!!!

I am going to be doing too much tournament watching over the next couple of months. 

AJPW RWTL going on, too. Won't have enough time to follow that, sadly.

But mainly I am stoked for E1. It's been a running joke with some of my friends for years, and now that it's really happening we couldn't be happier. I, personally, can never get enough tournaments or battles royal. And I am stoked to see who Tony K's Dream 12 are... And I am always stoked to see Bryan Dragon fight ANYONE so it's already a success as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

a field of 12 off the top of my head, all AEW guys:

Reveal hidden contents

Danielson

Wheeler

Claudio

Garcia

Andretti (I liked this suggestion by someone earlier in the thread, need someone to have a good showing but lose a lot)

Takeshita

Kyle Fletcher

Buddy Matthews

Rush

Mark Briscoe

Roderick Strong

Jay Lethal

Buddy Matthews is sort of the perfect guy to put in this. Are they doing anything with him right now? Not really. Can he go 2-3 without being damaged too much? I think so. Do I want to see him in a bunch of singles matches? Absolutely.

• Like 5

Okay, hear me out:

Tony Khan is revealed as The Devil.

("It's me Austin.. er.. Friedman!")

He lets everyone know he was afraid for his life so he had to let that "one guy" go, not because of what that guy would do, but what he would do.  And that this company needs Order and he introduces the Tony Khan Order (T.K.O) introducing the other guys under the masks (The Elite maybe?) 

MJF then spends the better part of the year fighting against TK and his Elitist group until a mysterious financial backer from Warner Media shows up to re-sign MJF and shift the balance of power...

GOLDBERG! 

This is satirical mind you, but given the historical significance here, its plausible in tying up what happened with TK and MJF during Double or Nothing 2022.

Editors note: meant to post this in the TV thread above this where it was more on topic, but it was early and i was on a ladder.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 2

Crap I forgot about the "best record" part, that's what was confusing me. 

How about Yano just comes in and costs Moxley his wins, with a constant re-do of the classic loss photo? Then he gets an epic thrashing until 

Spoiler

a run-in by THE GREAT O-KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Moxley "losing his smile" would be amusing too. Actually no it wouldn't, he's been away too long already. 

You can cut some of those locals because you know Tony's gonna wanna bring in at least one Japanese and one Mexican. I'm thinking probably Shibata and Mistico.

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Final thought: I figure they are actually better off booking this straight for the hardcore maniac fans. Because we exist, and we actually watch AEW wrestling. Rather than the "casual" fanbase. Which does not exist and even if it did they wouldn't watch AEW anyway. 

Casual fans absolutely exist and we want to like AEW

• Like 3