DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/25 - 10/31/2023 - A Lethal Lottery

Dolfan in NYC

Happy to see there were others who noticed the strange pinfall in the Santana-Ortiz match. I was thinking Santana was going to try the Burning Hammer before switching to the Blue Thunder Bomb. Unfortunately, that clumsy pinfall (and no one in the ring noticing this or appearing to care about it) put a damper on what was a decent street fight.

Anna Jay to her friends: You're going to be on my side for this match!

Friends to Anna Jay: We're going to be on your side for this match!

Friends walk back to the locker room after Anna is introduced. At least have Abadon scare them to the back or something.

Our favorite zombie looked fine in the four-way. The double lung blower spot on Willow and Skye was new, and there was energy in their spots and they did a good job trying to avoid the tropes in their Dark and Elevation matches (They probably wrestled the same match on the YouTube shows about 10-12 times). And the fans looked like they enjoyed seeing them again. Is Abby going to lose tonight? Probably. But now I want to see them have a cinematic match with Toni Storm set in classic horror films for some reason.

(Also have a gut feeling tonight's match may determine Abadon's future with the promotion. Injuries aside, AEW never seems to know what to do with them given the uniqueness and presentation of the character. Can't job out a wrestling zombie, but you also can't give a big push to someone who is green as grass, albeit working hard at improving. Perhaps Tony can reward them for their hard work with that Japan excursion they've asked for from time to time).

3 hours ago, colonial said:

But now I want to see them have a cinematic match with Toni Storm set in classic horror films for some reason.

Toni wrestling the Invisible Woman seems like something she'd go for. 

I noticed Ex-JAS not being down there too, wtf boys? I guess the goobers wanted to talk to Callis and Garcia just went home, he clearly didn't want to be there. 

If Abby wants to go to STARDOM or somewhere, send them Tony, if you ain't gonna do shit else with them. It's only fair.

Re: Dynamite
I like that AEW tries different openings. I especially liked this MJF promo to open. I favour the Kingdom and Roddy far better outside the skits. They pulled a solid ECW style connecting series of events - from the solid MJF v Juice opener to the run-in/saves, and onto the terrific Omega confrontation. Wardlow promo was fine. RVD/Hook v DOs was fun. With such a huge chunk of Television to produce each week - I’m alright when the nostalgia works like this. Further, the Sting/Darby/Flair/Christian segment was somewhat unexpected. And excellent, but as is anything Christian does in 2023. The Chris Jericho sitdown was good. Stronger than Jericho's regular babyface fare. Curious to see sonofabitch Paul Wight in there. I need to take another look at Bucks/Page v Hardys/Zay. I didn’t pay it much attention early, but I liked the strong closing stretch. And Zay was going hard. I skipped passed the Swerve invasion. I’m curious, but not a fan of the AEW ‘comedy’ sketches. I liked the Sting/Adam Copeland confrontation. I skimmed the Ruby v Shida bout. I very much like Luther as the butler. I liked MJF/Samoa Joe promo. Okada/OC v Danielson/Claudio was so fun. Okada playing the hits worked just fine around a lot of stellar action. All 'Professionals!' A well sculpted TV main event. 

Re: Rampage
Ortiz v Santana was rip roaring fun. Both guys made the most of their minutes. I hope more ppl see this match. Very solid MJF-Omega etc. video package. Nice build on short notice. Dug the Stat/Willow/Skye promo. It helped put the story out there. Something that needs to happen more within the division and elsewhere. Kip/Penelope promo didn’t quite help them make the most of their minutes. Very happy to see the Mark Briscoe return. Loved the Callis/JAS promo. Happy to see Daddy Magic getting a well deserved weekly promo spot. This is perfect Rampage stuff. Intrigued by the Ange/Ruby story. I only skimmed Abadon v Willow v Anna Jay v Skye Blue. Anna is slowly becoming a real star. Abadon is always great to see. Wishing her a healthy journey ahead. Willowmania continues to peak up from underneath. Fletcher v Takeshita was a wonderful piece of business. Heavy on the offense, but beautifully executed. Don Callis has a lot of neat stories circulating around him. I used FFWD where necessary and saw the full matches, and this felt like a top 5 Rampage.

• Like 3

Welp, in addition to not being in the house, my better half has just informed me that it would bum/stress her out too badly to watch the show live tonight while our car situation is ongoing. I'm pretty sure I can parlay this into some crazy sex and getting Spider-Man 2 if I play my cards right, but I'm not gonna be around again til Tuesday probably so I don't get spoiled. Have a great rest of your weekend all

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I wasn't down with pretty much any of this tonight. Abadon/Shida just ruined it for me. Shida couldn't even break the fucking pumpkin. Guess the best thing was Starks/Wheeler and Ingobernables showing up to... not be heels? Weird. 

The main totally lost me during the whole part around the poisoned ranas. When Max sold by walking in a circle, coming to a dead stop and tree-falling backward to the mat it was over. You weren't getting me back and you didn't have me there in the first place. I felt like Matt did watching the Takeshita match, probably. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Praying for M Hardy to get a shot at MJF some day so we can get your write up. Sincerely. You fighting the good fight on his behalf is why I do my best to keep up with him. 

Back in 2016 when we were doing GWE, there was a question around workrate. Ultimately a match needs to both be coherent and resonant AND physically exciting or compelling to be considered good, but which of the two elements are more important? For me the meaning and consequence need to be there as a bare minimum. Alone, they don’t make the match good, but without them, a match doesn’t clear the bare minimum to be good. 

I think much of what made Matt’s 2008 ECW work good is still present in his matches even though he’s broken down because that came down to connecting to a crowd and knowing what to do and when to do it, but I don’t think he’s that great or anything. It’s more that when left to their own devices, and despite superior athleticism, guys like Fletcher, and especially Takeshita don’t clear that minimum bar.

• Like 2

Man, Danhausen really put a curse on Bryan Danielson wrestling Kazuchika Okada. Danielson broke his arm in their first ever match and in their second outing, a tag team match, he's broken his orbital bone. Fuck. Get well soon, GOAT xxx.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Abadon/Shida just ruined it for me. Shida couldn't even break the fucking pumpkin.

Pumpkins are gourds that have zero give.  They'd have had to ripen it for days before Shida could break it with a knee strike.

Abadon may as well have been wearing a batting helmet.

Someone had been watching too many cartoons if they thought the pumpkin would just shatter into a million bits.  I'm sure that plan looked good on paper.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Or a Blue Panther mask

dbryav.jpg

That won't be necessary.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I highly enjoyed Abadon/Shida and thought the finish still looked good. The crowd pop leading into it was great. "She's got a jack-o-lantern!!!"

Huge pop for the LFI return and seemingly as faces at that was cool to see. Definitely look forward to having RUSH back!

Thought MJF/Omega was pretty epic. Loved MJF busting out a fosbury flop dive. The gutwrench bomb through the table looked great. Almost bought the near fall when Kenny sat down on the first Panama attempt, but I love MJF using the Panama Sunrise in general as tribute to Cole. Fun exciting finishing stretch. Great touch afterwards showing all of the remaining challengers gunning for MJF watching on. 

• Like 3