DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m pretty sure TK used to (still?) get in Twitter arguments with Fulham and Jags fans. I believe there was an instance of him getting into it with a Jags player after they traded him or something, too.

Ultimately, like, who cares. We don’t work for AEW. I’m not going to pretend to care about any of his Twitter bullshit past the fact that it’s highly entertaining - unintentional or not. Give me more of Snowman Khan calling executives in WWE bald assholes. Sign me up.

Who cares if CM Punk gets into fights backstage? It happens in NFL locker rooms. It happens in NHL locker rooms. It happens in the MLB. It matters because the whole CM Punk saga was detrimental to the company and caused irreparable damage.

I care because it's embarrassing and it makes Tony Khan and AEW look bad.

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

Other things I'd like would be Virus vs Danielson and Hechicero vs Danielson but these seem less likely.

This is the dream for me.  

I actually think ZSJ vs. Virus could happen, as it was teased at the New Japan Strong show in Long Beach in May.  I would love to see ZSJ-Hechicero as well, probably the most out of them all.  

It would be an truly amazing storyline to have Bryan and Zack each wrestle Virus and Hechicero en route to their rematch.  If anything, just imagine the highlight reel.  

• Like 2

I'm imagining an evidence board chock full of grainy photos and red string in front of me as I read some of you deconstructing (demystifying?) the Mistico conundrum, and I can't help but laugh!  I applaud anyone for taking a crack at breaking that all down.  

I knew we would eventually get to Myzteziz and Myzteziz. Jr., and that's where my brain starts to hurt.  

Although I like other CMLL luchadors more, the current Mistico belongs in the costume, as it's literally who he is, in some bizarre, symbiotic kind of way.  Still one of the smoothest wrestlers around.  Still has a bit of an ego, but far less than before.  Rocky is of course the perfect person to make him look him stupendous.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

Although I like other CMLL luchadors more, the current Mistico belongs in the costume, as it's literally who he is, in some bizarre, symbiotic kind of way.  Still one of the smoothest wrestlers around.  Still has a bit of an ego, but far less than before.  Rocky is of course the perfect person to make him look him stupendous.  

I was worried when I started watching CMLL again last year as I hadn't heard much about him in years, but Mistico has been pretty good all around the past year or two. Him vs. Rocky should be fun, but I feel like it won't be anywhere near what it would have been in CMLL.

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Echo all this. Loved Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023. Originally it was supposed to be at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022 but Danielson got hurt. The wait was worth it. I watched the match twice in one day which I don't normally do. The opening feeling out, ZSJ baiting Bryan into using his right arm with the steel rod in, the submission exchanges going on offence to defence. The fluidity of. My favourite spot was Danielson countering the armbar to a Regal Plex which I've never seen before. Nigel McGuinness' reaction to it was great. Two of the best technical wrestlers of all time making it look effortless. ***** and the 2023 Match of the Year.

Just finished watching Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023 ***** and my long time #1 Best Match in AEW History, Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. And...NEW!!!

• Like 4

Vince McMahon may have other reasons for not tweeting, but you can be sure that WWE's HR department has made him fully aware of the relentless barrage he'd receive for having committed multiple acts of sexual misconduct and at least one rape. Further to anybody comparing the leaders, remind yourself what Vince McMahon responding to Bob Costas looks like. 

I don't think the 'Bald Asshole' tweet has been acknowleged here for what it was, but great Curb Your Enthusiasm reference from TK. Fantastic episode from Season 2 called 'Trick or Treat'. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

http://www.luchawiki.org/index.php?title=Cinta_de_Oro

Apparently he was Hunico's trainer.

Oh so he directly took the same name. I didn't understand that, because me are dumbs. 🤪

EDIT: If any of you actually figure out the correct lineage of this Mistico shit then please make a chart for us because it would be of value to the entire community as well as future generations. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:59 AM, Leonidas said:

Both BD vs ZSJ and again vs Swerve, I had to physically stop watching the show and go have a break for 20 minutes to just decompress from the awesomeness of those two matches. We are eating so good right now I feel like a wrestling GLUTTON.

I watched it twice in a row. Once to experience it, once to write about. Then after writing about it I watch it a third time before falling asleep. A week later it held up and I’ll likely put it on again today just to make sure I feel the same way before waiting another month or so. 

23 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I really like that you feel that way about it. To me, it was one of the very few times that a technical wrestling match actually lived up to expectations. It was mostly due to how quickly both men were trying to get OUT of every hold and had counters to basically anything. That's what I want. Fuck restholds with nothing happening, try to get out of everything immediately, if the holds hurt as much as they are supposed to, within wrestling logic.

I’ve rambled in this, but I just love struggle in wrestling. The feeling of everything being visually earned. I usually use that for like Daisuke Sekimoto slowly grappling someone or a stiff strike fest, but it worked so well here. There wasn’t anything taken for granted or going through the motions. 
The match itself was such gamesmanship. The first half being about proving themselves as better and then it became about winning.

22 hours ago, JLowe said:

And also trying to find parts to hurt. I loved Sabre kicking Danielson's arms out when he was trying to arch back for a submission. Grabbing for fingers, punching at knees. All of it.

ZSJ is such a prick lol. 

22 hours ago, Shartnado said:

And more than one body part. Find several weaknesses to exploit and move from one to the next when the opportunity presents itself! It was beautiful!

Very much a chess match and surprisingly Mox laid out the strategies so well! 

21 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That match was so good I really don't want to watch it back.  It just felt so perfect in the moment that I want to hold onto that sheer excitement I had watching it for the first time.  Yeah, it'd be neat to see again and maybe years later I'll consider it.  But I was just a giddy motherfucking watching it and would prefer to have those memories be just from that one time.  It sounds odd because it is but the only other match that had me this way was Danielson/Suzuki which was motherfucking HUGE to me.  I was practically pacing around the room in excitement and felt like I could have ran through a wall.  But yeah to your points the Danielson/ZSJ match far exceeded the hype and Mox sitting back going "Holy shit!" is the absolutely perfect reaction to that match.

I think the only way it could get better is if they have the next match in New Japan and there's a submission finish.  I believe that's what they're going for whenever it happens but being so used to trilogies ending I am glad with them going to a fourth one.  I would be quite fine with ZSJ winning that via submission to not only even the series but also have it be a "passing of the torch" moment.

I don’t blame you for wanting it once. I did the opposite though, lol

Yes, a New Japan rematch would be great. 

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Echo all this. Loved Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023. Originally it was supposed to be at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022 but Danielson got hurt. The wait was worth it. I watched the match twice in one day which I don't normally do. The opening feeling out, ZSJ baiting Bryan into using his right arm with the steel rod in, the submission exchanges going on offence to defence. The fluidity of. My favourite spot was Danielson countering the armbar to a Regal Plex which I've never seen before. Nigel McGuinness' reaction to it was great. Two of the best technical wrestlers of all time making it look effortless. ***** and the 2023 Match of the Year.

That Regalplex popped me huge! MOTY for me too. Which is a surprise because I really loved the MJF IronMan match, but this one was better.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh so he directly took the same name. I didn't understand that, because me are dumbs. 🤪

EDIT: If any of you actually figure out the correct lineage of this Mistico shit then please make a chart for us because it would be of value to the entire community as well as future generations. 

I'm pretty sure of what I got with only general knowledge and still found it annoying to check on to mention here. If Luchablog is unwilling to do it knowing as much a he does I suspect no one else will. Could be worse could be trying to deal with all of the Tiger Mask and Black Tiger lineage. 

Shit, I think that's probably easy in comparison. 

Tiger Mask/Original Tiger Mask/Super Tiger = Satoru Sayama

Tiger Mask II = Mitsuharu Misawa

Tiger Mask III = Koji Kanemoto

Tiger Mask IV = well, Tiger Mask IV

and then you got the off-brand indie guys but just consider them whatever that term comics and Star Wars fans use, non- something. Not non-lineage but something like that. Oh, and there is one Tiger that is endorsed by Sayama so I guess he fits. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I agree with TheVileOne on the tweeting.  It's a bad look.  I think it's great that TK interacts with fans and genuinely cares about feedback but he needs to stay above the fray.  Somebody said it was cool because it means he's one of us.  Nah.  I'm a bum compared to Tony and I don't waste my time arguing with dorks on twitter, I sure as shit wouldn't be doing it if I was running a nationally televised, stadium running wrestling promotion.  Alvarez said the other day on Observer Live he's got AEW wrestlers contacting him like, "Tony needs to get the fuck off twitter" so yea, I'd say it's not great for morale when your leader is acting like such a dork on the internet

Anyway, in praise of Tony I'm impressed the way he's been able to work with NJPW, AAA and now CMLL with all of the delicate politics involved.  

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

and then you got the off-brand indie guys but just consider them whatever that term comics and Star Wars fans use, non- something. Not non-lineage but something like that. Oh, and there is one Tiger that is endorsed by Sayama so I guess he fits. 

Canon.

for some reason I thought Eddie Guerrero was a Tiger Mask but I looked it up and he was a Black Tiger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Its easy if you stop at four and consider the rest off-brand. The issue is some of them are totally on brand, and there are somehow even more Black Tigers, canon and otherwise.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its easy if you stop at four and consider the rest off-brand. The issue is some of them are totally on brand, and there are somehow even more Black Tigers, canon and otherwise.

Can't do that in Japan when it comes to the TigerMasks. They had few more after the 4th.  And you have to count all the Black Tigers, too many of them.

Sayama wants to create and train another male Tiger Mask. Probably his last too.

However the indy TigersMasks and indy ripoffs aren't officially part of any line. Starlight Kid isn't offically tied to the Black Tigers, NJPW put her with Despy anyway and someday she will lose the mask.

Edited by 赤い竜
  • Like 3