DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

Punk had 7 years to show up for work.

Impact, ROH, NJPW...

Are you trying to say that he happened to get the itch to wrestle for AEW because they were running shows in Chicago or something?

I might be a mile off the mark but it can be coincidence that his return to wrestling led to him going over everyone he faced and becoming world champion.

He left wrestling. They pitched him, he and Tony got to talking during the time when people were taking COVID seriously, he was moved by the secrecy surrounding Brodie Lee’s decline. He didn’t just happen to get the itch because of where they were booked and I said no such thing.

The main gripe was always people being part timers and getting those spots, not the Rock being booked like a top guy at all. When Punk was in, he was all the way in. Come on. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I want to know the details of Discipline Committee membership.  How many board seats are there? How long are the terms? What other internal committees does AEW have? 

Same membership of "The WCW Championship Commitee" Lee MarSHALL was always blathering on about

I can somewhat respect Tony Khan for going in front of the live fans and eating a plate of shit, but he shouldn't have said that stuff about feeling his life was in danger. But I'm not a lawyer. Lawyers or legal advisors might've told him to word that out.

Folks, I think an important thing that may have gone overlooked in all of this chaos is that CM Punk taught us all something.

Just in the last week or so, talk around CM Punk has led us to discussions about pegging and dom/sub relationships. CM Punk has - perhaps however indirectly - helped us learn that the DVDVR forums may be the most kink-friendly pro-wrestling community on the internet. And that makes me a little proud.

Now if I can be serious for a minute: I have said it before in connection with this issue and I’ll say it again. All Punk wound up doing was prove Hangman right. 

On the other hand, this has all been wildly entertaining and I want to see this saga take more crazy twists and turns. Punk back to WWE! Maybe this is how we finally get Punk vs. KENTA, but it happens in a New Japan ring and KENTA goes over. If this timeline is going to be borderline intolerable and insanity-inducing, the downward spiral can at least do us the courtesy of entertaining us on the way to the bottom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

at first, when I heard about Jack Perry basically taking a shot at Punk with the "Hey, look, real glass!" line, I kinda thought that Perry quite frankly, earned whatever Punk rage he earned.

Now, with more info coming out, I think there was a time and a place for it, and it wasn't then, and it wasn't there. And it certainly wasn't THAT much.

It must have been crazy back there. (I wonder if someone's going to leak the tapes to TMZ).

I'm kinda shocked we didn't have an instant reply from the Punk side of things, not even a "There's two sides to every story, and I want a chance to tell mine". As we've just seen, Punk usually isn't the type to let something slide in the moment. I'm honestly wondering if Punk just decided "You know what? I hate it there, they hate me there, why fight it. Let things cool down and if I feel like doing something, I can always approach Tony again, or see if WWE will take me"

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I'm kinda shocked we didn't have an instant reply from the Punk side of things, not even a "There's two sides to every story, and I want a chance to tell mine". As we've just seen, Punk usually isn't the type to let something slide in the moment.

I mean, wasn't the initial story the Punk side? It lacked the whole "maybe knocked monitors on boss, screamed at him and threatened to not wrestle" part which is what I'd expect his version to not include/focus on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Recon and Sniper as the Discipline Committee is probably a better idea than exhuming the Harris Brothers for that gimmick

Hot damn, I thought Rambo / Sniper died a few years back, but he is alive and well, it seems. Really glad to hear that! 

I know I'm not very active in any wrestling talk anymore. Punk is in the wrong solving backstage problems with punches and chokes. That being said in no wrestling universe should a guy who made it on a pre-show provoke, confront and probably challenge one of the top stars and neither should the top star throw monitors at the man who writes the cheques. Especially if it's about something as stupid as actually wanting to get thrown through real glas. 

I don't think the idea that this was a set up or instigated is entirely the result of wearing a tinfoil hat. If surveillance footage doesn't show Perry walking by, whistling an innocent tune while eating a sandwich or something and Punk blindsiding him, Perry should be fired aswell. Some of his friends should be notified they are on thin ice. Whoever sides with Punk should be asked if they want to get back in line or if they want to leave. 

Kahn needs to get to a point where he actually at least instills respect to his wrestlers. If he wants to run the ship, run it tight. Everybody basically doing what they want exacerbated all the already bad habits of your talent. Get them in line now

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

That being said in no wrestling universe should a guy who made it on a pre-show provoke, confront and probably challenge one of the top stars and neither should the top star throw monitors at the man who writes the cheques.

I've seen people around saying stuff like this and it is funny but... the guy did main event the prior ppv. Doesn't make him a main eventer, but it also means he just isn't some random low carder. Perhaps he should be (I vote yes), but that's an argument for another day.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight:

• Jack Perry wants to use real glass in a backstage segment, lots of people tell him not to, including CM Punk.
  • Weeks later (after Punk is getting criticised for his treatment of Ryan Nemeth), the story comes out giving Punk a lot of credit and portraying Perry as a young idiot. 
  • Perry does a spot on All In Zero Hour using real glass, and draws attention to it.
  • CM Punk confronts Perry backstage immediately
  • Perry tells him it's a work
  • Punk physically assaults Jack Perry, who apparently doesn't fight back
  • Punk then lunges at Tony Khan, his boss

So, what part of this demands that Jack Perry be punished? For trying to turn a leaked backstage story into an angle? For portraying his heel brat character as a brattish heel?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

So let me get this straight:

• Jack Perry wants to use real glass in a backstage segment, lots of people tell him not to, including CM Punk.
  • Weeks later (after Punk is getting criticised for his treatment of Ryan Nemeth), the story comes out giving Punk a lot of credit and portraying Perry as a young idiot. 
  • Perry does a spot on All In Zero Hour using real glass, and draws attention to it.
  • CM Punk confronts Perry backstage immediately
  • Perry tells him it's a work
  • Punk physically assaults Jack Perry, who apparently doesn't fight back
  • Punk then lunges at Tony Khan, his boss

So, what part of this demands that Jack Perry be punished? For trying to turn a leaked backstage story into an angle? For portraying his heel brat character as a brattish heel?

If the last parts are true, the situation differs, I have trouble believing it. However, your version might make Perry look better, it opens a whole different can of worms imo.

If it's a work (assuming stuff like that gets cleared) , involve the guy. Ask him if it's okay at, put your foot down if necessary. Working yourself into a shoot is 2000-WCW-Level bs. If your timeline is what actually has happened, Tony and his producers have to re-think A LOT imo. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

1) He didn’t ask to be champion. Tony wanted it.

2) His complaint was always that Rock/Taker/Brock were gonna come do the big match and he’d be there come Monday and they wouldn’t and Vince wasn’t investing in full time guys. Punk never pulled that, he was there and ready to work every Wednesday/Saturday Tony wanted. 

Plenty of real shit to give Punk grief about. No need to invent more.

I’m always fascinated by who some people (myself included) choose to take at their word. I don’t for a second believe that Punk came back just to work young talent. IMO, he needs the validation that came with wearing the title. 

Also, I’m amused by who Punk chose the smoke with and who he didn’t. Young Bucks privately seek him out? Hands. Mox publicly (both on and off AEW tv) implies that Phil is a mark ass bitch? Crickets. Tells me a lot.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s possible for Phil Brooks the man to have a healthy relationship with pro wrestling.  I say this next thing as someone whose life has been made immeasurably better by re-uptake inhibiting medication; that dude needs medication. I hope he’s able to find some balance, but my guess is he’s gonna go back to the fed for a short, spite filled run with someone like the Miz before giving the most anticipated HOF speech of all time. Sad, considering what could’ve been.

• Like 1

This is a tough day for Neo-Bretism. I’m not sure who carries that flag now. Obviously this guy was wildly unsuited for it. Couldn’t even convince Luke Perry’s kid not to use glass. It’s probably going to be another generation before someone arrives to make what happens in-ring less dumb. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 7

I am also returning from self-imposed social media exile to comment on Punk. 

I think it's mostly sad. He was one of the few guys who I thought always delivered on TV and wrestled in a less bombastic style that I wish were more the norm in AEW rather than rapidly becoming more and more of a fringe thing (and will no doubt be even further marginalized once Ospreay signs and as Nick Wayne comes of age). I can't fault TK for it since the audience is clearly on board, and whenever I hear the crowd getting jazzed for obnoxious "Too sweet woot woot" or "Aussie Aussie Aussie" chants -- in support of repulsive dorks like Juice and Kyle Fletcher -- I can't help but think we're entering the Woodstock 99 era of AEW where the entertainment sucks but the real heels are the fans. Maybe Mox/OC will blow the roof off the place tonight and set a corrective vibe in motion. 

That said, I'm also glad they finally canned Punk. I think just about everyone who has followed this story from the beginning can relate to having a toxic coworker, particularly one with seniority/clout, and the people who can't relate to that situation are the dimbulbs portraying Punk as a victim. Older talent, regardless of where they've been, who they were there with, and how much they (theoretically) drew should be grateful to be working in such a physically demanding business at their age, not tapping people on the shoulder and barking advice in their ear, and certainly not micromanaging the locker room. Why anyone needed a fresh example of why this never works in a post-Hogan world, post-Nash world, post-Mutoh burying everyone in All Japan for years until Suwama debuted and he completely changed his approach and pushed new talent world, is completely beyond me. His firing sets a great precedent, and to me part of the tragedy is that it's taken so many decades to get to the point where a guy of his name value actually gets canned for shitty behaviour. Hopefully people start talking about what went down with Punk in the context of past eras where Shawn, the Steiners, Bradshaw, etc etc etc did whatever they wanted for years and years with impunity (and in Shawn's case have had their whole history rewritten as some kind of long redemption story as if he's any less of an moron now).

I was probably always going to order the PPV tonight at the last minute but like a lot of folks here I'm much more intrigued now after watching Collison, both because of Danielson as the last minute replacement and to see the potential chaos/crowd revolts/if the vibe in 8 man tag is gonna be off. I know some people liked it and admittedly I can't stand Jay White but Dax seemed to be sleepwalking a bit through the main event last night (which isn't a dig if he was--his friend did just get fired). As a huge FTR fan, and even moreso as someone who envisions a future golden age of AEW where Brody King is the top heel and holds the world title for years and years, I'm hoping the few vocal members of the Punk camp can reintegrate and join everyone else in turning the oil tanker around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1