DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The elevator fart theory is funny but probably closer to the truth is he also always looks like he's thinking "Who the fuck is this guy?" Like, that guy above, I'm asking myself the same question.

Mark Davis

• Like 2

The theater ticket group my mom subscribes to is offering $5 ducats for Grand Slam (yes, FIVE DOLLARS). Unfortunately they currently require ID and I'm not passing for an octogenarian woman any time soon.

• Haha 3

Edit: whoops I guess this should move to the tv thread 🚨🚨🚨

This show wasn't bad but it was about as close to a "nothing show" as I've ever seen a Dynamite be I think. 

Toni Storm has created a great interview character but she still wrestles like boring paint-by-numbers Toni Storm. I know people get upset about Anna Jay and Julia Hart and some of the other less experienced women being sloppy, but their matches, for all their occasional awkwardness, convey a lot of more emotion and drama than Toni's slick but generic offence. Hopefully she amps up the character work and gets something good out of Saraya next week, because that match looks scary on paper, and I don't want to see either of these two with the belt right now. I would have had Nyla win, both because she deserves a push and is the most likely of the four in this match to have a good match with Saraya. I also like how they built Shida back up as champ only to make her look like a doofus at Wembley and again tonight. 

I shouldn't he complaining about Toni Storm because Roderick Strong is getting an even bigger push with weaker interviews and boring-er matches. I was pretty sure he would sneak a win here and we would get MJF vs Joe at the ppv but maybe they're sparing us MJF vs Strong altogether (and Max is just...not wrestling at the ppv?). Did somebody go short and they were vamping for time at the end of the show? 7 minutes of storyline when the champ isn't in the building made for an existentially troubling go-home angle. 

The second half of Page/Cage was alright. I'm sure everyone will complain about Page looking dumb for letting Swerve distract him when he had the win set up. Swerve is great, I don't like Hangman, but I think they'll have a good match and whoever wins should work the next title program with Max. 

Someone said recently about Callis having X-Pac/"go away" heat and I think this is correct. His promos are cliche heel stuff and get tedious fast, and incorporating all the alt-right alpha/cuck language into his schtick tonight was more uncomfortable than anything else. Ibushi working a singles match against Takeshita is going to expose Ibushi pretty horrifically so hopefully he just works a squash against Callis or something. Omega being off TV for so long after losing the title + the Brawl Out suspension really disjointed and sucked the life out of all these long-term soap opera stories i.e. the Elite reunion, the Callis betrayal. It all feels very slapped together and cold, and as I mentioned in another thread earlier this week it doesn't help that Omega almost never cuts live promos despite the fact all his angles are emo af. 

I'm amazed they've held onto Jericho vs Sammy this long without doing it; I assumed they must have had a match ages ago before I started watching. The angle leading into it isn't very interesting but I thought they had good promos tonight, which wasn't the case a couple weeks ago when the program started.

Moxley vs Big Bill on paper sounded like a MOYTC for some reason and while it wasn't anywhere close to that level it was a fun match and I like Moxley vs Starks as Starks' next big program. 

And a final Wednesday gripe: I love Danielson, I love Zach Sabre Jr, I'm not sure I'm that excited to finally see this match. The two of them exchanging complicated matwork while the crowd applauds every time they break sounds more like an exercise in each man stroking the other's (and his own) ego than anything else. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

Just remembered the one guy on here who argued it would make WWE look bad and AEW look good if the WWE pushed Cody because Cody was in the AEW midcard. Not impossible to make that argument again with Jade even if she had a long undefeated streak and held the B women’s title for a long time too.

Kinda feels like a few weaknesses of AEW relative to the WWE are on display when someone like Jade leaves.

Best of luck to Tony on not channeling his inner Cowboy Bill Watts here. I guess he’s not gonna repeat what he said in regards to Big Swole about Jade.

• Like 1

Seems like a mistake for her to leave and a mistake for TK to let her get away. But, it occurs to me that she was discovered/trained (iirc) by Cody. Feels like a necessity for AEW to bring in Mercedes now.

I also just had the thought that Jade probably doesn’t want to wrestle much longer, and as much as I enjoy AEW, it’s not the visible brand. Wwe can act as her springboard into film & other opportunities. Of course, this is also assuming this isn’t a work…

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just remembered the one guy on here who argued it would make WWE look bad and AEW look good if the WWE pushed Cody because Cody was in the AEW midcard. Not impossible to make that argument again with Jade even if she had a long undefeated streak and held the B women’s title for a long time too.

Kinda feels like a few weaknesses of AEW relative to the WWE are on display when someone like Jade leaves.

Best of luck to Tony on not channeling his inner Cowboy Bill Watts here. I guess he’s not gonna repeat what he said in regards to Big Swole about Jade.

A long time ago in a land far away Jericho taught us that TBS is a television company to the TV title is the most prestigious title 

I like Jade and she's a loss. That said, her wrestling, tho good for her experience level, was inconsistent at best. Considering how these AEW monster pushes have played out with Jade and Wardlow, one leaving for the rival company after a lengthy build/push, the other on the sidelines for no apparent reason (?) with his popularity greatly diminished and uncertain future prospects, maybe it's time reevaluate their 'Monster' booking. In both cases they relied far too much on '(said performer) in action' with not enough substance in any of their bigger programs. Jade has had some especially atrocious storylines. Assuming all this jump talk is true, it'll be interesting to see what kind of travel/dates commitment Cargill makes with WWE. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Jade seems to have plateaued in the ring (which doesn't mean she can't get better but she's hit an interim ceiling), she tries things she's not capable of and botches them badly and is lucky someone hasn't been badly injured, and is a terrible promo. She has a fantastic look and is over with the crowd. I don't watch WWE but everyone talks about how great the women's division is there and how great the wrestlers are so maybe this will help her get to that next level in-ring and on the mic, and she can be better carried in the meantime instead of constantly exposed or hidden on taped, edited programming.

• Like 1

I think the only missed opportunity is that Jade and Mercedes Mone are going to pass each other like ships in the night. That could’ve been a good program. Or Mercedes might’ve gotten seriously hurt trying to make it good, so maybe it’s for the best. 

• Like 6

SRS also implied on a live chat or whatever that Ricky Starks might be weighing his options too. I’d be sad, but I wouldn’t blame him. Must be hard to see guys like Roderick Strong & Adam Cole get to play out decade old stories while I bust my ass every week. Hopefully TK smartens up. I don’t understand his obsession with ROH alum. As the great philosopher Joseph A. Dirt once said; “it ain’t about what you want, man. It’s the consumer…”

Just now, (BP) said:

I think the only missed opportunity is that Jade and Mercedes Mone are going to pass each other like ships in the night. That could’ve been a good program. Or Mercedes might’ve gotten seriously hurt trying to make it good, so maybe it’s for the best. 

The lack of legs for her to stand on in that department made me chuckle aloud…

I gotta think Cargill and Starks would both excel in WWE, and probably Max too. I think TK has lifers in Darby (obviously), Hangman, Guevara and Perry but with the exception of Darby I don't really see any of those guys really being difference makers. As far as Wardlow, I don't really see him standing out in WWE and I have to assume (perhaps foolishly) that he's going to be off TV for a long time so he can come back with a fresh coat of paint and revive his feud with Max (and maybe win the belt??). 

It's funny how when they started 4 years ago I wouldn't have taken you seriously if you said the problem with AEW going forward will be the overreliance on guys 40 years of age and older but we've been gradually moving in that direction. Outside of MJF [edit: and I guess Hook so far] have they really protected any of their young talent? 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

It’s possible that the “AEW has an obligatory timeslot for their one women’s match” thing might not just be a thought among internet dorks paying too much attention?

Not to mention the whole “giant Wembley show where there’s only one women’s match” thing.

Booking-wise it was kinda weird to have a TBS Champion with a long winning streak while having the Women’s Title be in flux. Even if Jade’s in-ring skills are what they are, not having her face the top women’s wrestlers might be metaphorical money left on the table. But as some have probably typed on the last 24hrs, Tony’s not exactly a great women’s wrestling booker and they extended the Jade streak waiting for Statlander.

Maybe the soft underbelly of AEW guys weren’t the ex-NXT guys wanting to jump back with Hunter in power but the wrestlers displaced when the ex-NXT wrestlers got hired?