DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/21 - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Philly Mania sold 90,000+ in a day, so...  damn, I guess that was a nice record AEW had for about 12 hours. 

I think it's safe to say, pro wrestling is back.  

This week:   NXT does Heat Wave with Wes Lee challenging Carmelo Hayes for the title.  But tonight.... Chad Gable challenges GUNTHER for the IC strap. 

Glad to see them breaking their own records. Still curious if AEW selling out means we have a strong chance of seeing a two day WM weekend in the UK now. I still think its funny Cena just dropped that shit on HHH's lap and ran off.

Looking forward to GUNTHER/Gable II. Hopefully the crowd is good for it. 

Looking for to Melo/Wes as well though I'm still befuddled why its happening on a special instead of a PLE.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sami’s not wrong. This match is absolutely incredible. I started watching NXT after catching wind of Bray’s awesome promos. But Sami/Cesaro was the first “WHAT???” match NXT had. Another really important match around that time was also the Paige/Emma match for the women’s title. Really good match with both incredibly over. But Sami/Cesaro was the jam.

• Like 2

I was really surprised to hear Trish use the term "frog" tonight towards the Quebec fans. I was always under the impression that was an ethnic slur. I've worked in the pro hockey ranks for almost 25 years and I definitely know a few guys who have gotten suspended for calling someone that over that period of time.

Perhaps there's some French-Canadians on the board who can enlighten me?

Dipped out after the IC match because I have to be in a specific mood to put up with the WWE’s insufferable production, but man was that a hell of a match. Gable looked great, Gunther was laying it in, and the finish was really well done. A count out after Gable absolutely wrecked Gunther with that suplex over the barricade was the right call. Rematch is going to be bonkers. 

So did it look like Owens reinjured himself at the end of the main event, or was he just doing a really admirable sell job? I didn't recall his body being worked over much but he got up immediately afterwards clutching his side and not being able to raise his arm in victory or even put the belt over his shoulder on that side. 

Gable/Gunther was awesome and I wasn't mad about the finish because it means we get a longer PPV match. I thought they might finally give Gable his due and pull the trigger on him winning, then I saw in the other thread Gunther would be just shy of the record.

I missed most of the show tonight,  But I made a point to watch Gunther vs. Gable and I was not disappointed. I loved everything about the match and the finish was great. I loved how Imperium came out and made the ring announcer note that Gunther was still the champion.

I'll catch up on other stuff I missed on youtube.

The Shinsuke promo was so friggin’ good. He comes off like such a sinister, cynical, diabolical monster in this. The production did a great job setting the mood and Shinskue speaking quietly but using the right cadences and pauses was masterful. Great stuff,

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Peck said:

I was really surprised to hear Trish use the term "frog" tonight towards the Quebec fans. I was always under the impression that was an ethnic slur. I've worked in the pro hockey ranks for almost 25 years and I definitely know a few guys who have gotten suspended for calling someone that over that period of time.

Perhaps there's some French-Canadians on the board who can enlighten me?

I thought the same, but then I was just rewatching a 'Kitchen Nightmares' (the UK one) and Gordon Ramsay talking about this all-French kitchen staff by saying: "I need to turn this kitchen of frogs into princes" so apparently it's not a strictly-enforced ethnic slur?!

New Day vs. McRiddle was solid. Thought the Viking Raider interference was well done. Kind of like that Drew and Riddle earned New Day's respect as a team.

Gable/GUNTHER was fantastic. Gunther was a beast and Gable looked good struggling to survive. Loved how he was finally building momentum towards the end. The finish was utterly insane and made the countout work well. I love that Gable is the first to beat Gunther since the main roster move. Even the way he did it somehow doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth due to execution. I'm now torn since I totally want Gable to win the belt, but I also want Gunther to break the record.

Rhea/Candice was a squash. It was ultimately more about the post match angle with Raquel making their Payback match official.

Nakamura's promo about Rollins was awesome. Loved the attitude and cadence he presented. Its easily his best promo in WWE and another confirmation that WWE needs to do more of these with people speaking mainly in their native tongue. Even when they are fluent in English like Nakamura they just hit so much harder in their first language. I really want Nakamura to win the belt though I doubt it happens.

The Ciampa promo was nice though I wonder where he can really go with all he gold tied up.

The segment leading into Tozawa/Miz was decent. The actual match wasn't pretty decent as well. Was nice to see Tozawa pick up the win, more or less clean as well. Dug Knight giving Tozawa his props and telling him it was all him. 

The Beck/Trish segment was not good. Was too long and needed to get to the point faster. I think people are just tired of seeing these two feud at this point.

Chelsea/Piper vs. KCs was fine while it lasted. Too short and its disappointing seeing the KCs squashed so easily. While I like what I have seen of Piper and Chelsea I really wish they didn't just give Piper the tag belt. Just doesn't make sense when you don't have a Freebirds or New Day type of team.

Judgement Day vs. Sami/KO turning into vs. Sami/KO/Cody was good and a pretty fun all around. Nothing here is anything we haven't seen before, but it was done well with a hot crowd making it all the more enjoyable.

The stuff focused around the men ranged from solid-good for most part. The women's side of things was sadly disappointing outside of Rhea being awesome with Judgement Day. Even with the weaker stuff still a solid episode when you have a match as great as Gable/Gunther and a good tv main event.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The Shinsuke promo was so friggin’ good. He comes off like such a sinister, cynical, diabolical monster in this. The production did a great job setting the mood and Shinskue speaking quietly but using the right cadences and pauses was masterful. Great stuff,

You always hear a lot of BS about how Japanese pro wrestling is all moves and no promos.  Here is the silencer to that argument.

Gable / Gunther was fucking awesome.  I can see this turning into a trilogy with Gunther winning the Imperium Strikes Back second fall and  the rubber match / blow-off going down at a big ppv with Chad winning his first singles title

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Gable / Gunther was fucking awesome.  I can see this turning into a trilogy with Gunther winning the Imperium Strikes Back second fall and  the rubber match / blow-off going down at a big ppv with Chad winning his first singles title

Strictly speaking this was the second part. Their first match was a few weeks back with Chad surprising Gunther by outlasting a five minute Beat the Clock challenge and taking Gunther much further than expected afterward before eating a loss. Its probably why Gunther went as hard on Gable as he did in this one.

• Like 1

Shit, I forgot about Gunther/Gable being on this show. Gotta catch that on VOD post haste.

Lets run it back next week and add Trick Williams to make it a Gunther/Gable/Williams three way*.

(*A joke for my old school circus heads only.)

• Like 2

That Nakamura promo kicked ass on several levels, most importantly giving Seth’s character some sorely needed depth. “Guy that overcompensates for his weaknesses with pizzazz and has a Punch-Out boss-style weak spot” is way more interesting 

Now they can run a Bane storyline when he loses the title to whoever 

• Like 1