DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

Not trying to take any shots, I do honestly confuse a lot of posters around here and the lack of navigation certainly doesn't help. My point stands, we as fans tend to look back at the best of things while looking ahead at the possibilities. It's easy to look at Wembley and think, "ahh, they have to do their best, which was Punk-MJF" but then also look back and see that the main event of Revolution 2022 was actually a match nobody cared about, Cole vs. Page. It's just silly how in real time we seem to focus more on the negative but history fossilizes the "greatness" when in reality all of it is necessary and wrestling.

What’s interesting is that they do have some actually great built in injury excuses for the ups and downs. Which adds a whole different dynamic to the big debate going on in here and says something about how important the individual wrestlers are to the AEW creative process.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I prob know the answer, but did Quack book everything in chikara

Yes, with the caveat that he actually paid someone to keep track of the storylines and go around the crowd during shows to explain things to fans who got confused. I'm blanking on the guy's name.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

43 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't they hire Jimmy Jacobs as a producer not long ago? He's a really creative guy and was supposedly behind some non-awful stuff during his WWE tenure.

Yeah, he joined in June. A few weeks ago, Chris Hero was the next producer/agent they hired.

Never remember that happening in all the shows I attended. But then, we were the dedicated fans who didn't those reminders.

I asked someone who was there for a good while and they said "some collaboration' with other folks. 

As for Hero specifically, I was reminded he was gone by 2007. 

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

What’s interesting is that they do have some actually great built in injury excuses for the ups and downs. Which adds a whole different dynamic to the big debate going on in here and says something about how important the individual wrestlers are to the AEW creative process.

Losing your new, incredibly over women’s champion who also happens to be British is a massive loss. Losing one of the biggest names in pro wrestling for the last two decades a month before the show is a huge loss.

• Like 4

There's a couple posters here who are simply afraid of discussion.  All I said was the show hasn't been booked well and they could do better for a show that's going to have their largest crowd ever and if you have an issue with that then quote me and we can discuss which part of my post (or all) you disagree with.  These low brow attempts at "insults" saying I'm somehow "detached from reality" are laughable but it's expected from them I suppose. 

FTR vs. Bucks has had no build. That's not me ignoring all this shit that happened on TV,  not much has happened. If something happened on BTE or whatever and I missed it then fine, clue me in on that. I've seen like one promo where all they said was "you and Us, ALL IN". 

Samoa Joe vs. Punk happened three weeks ago.  That's smart booking?  To do their match on free TV when they hadn't fought in years and then an immediate rematch at the PPV?  Not in my eyes but whatever. 

The women, forget it.  I don't think anyone can muster a debate over that. 

Then there's Omega, Hangman, Starks, Jay White, etc. some of them are being thrown in six mans with low stakes, I don't think Starks even has a match yet.  

I agree that maybe they are saving something for ALL OUT but that's an issue that they created for themselves and I agree that Tony Khan's booking has been spotty at best overall. 

It's not a crime to ask for something to be better.  

• Like 2

I'm reposting what I posted on April 6 as the best reasonable card I could put together at the time. I do it for two reasons, one being that it gives you what I thought the scope/level ought to be and the other to show how injuries would have really messed up my card

Spoiler
  • Omega vs Ospreay vs Okada
  • MJF (c) vs Sting (w/Darby, setting up the All In gimmick match the following week)
  • FTR (c) vs Young Bucks
  • Adam Page vs Chris Jericho vs CM Punk
  • Hayter (c) vs Britt (babyface vs babyface)
  • Saraya vs Mercedes Mone (based around the injury history)
  • Bryan Danielson (Pure Champion) vs Zack Sabre, Jr.
  • Mox/Claudio/Yuta vs Tanahashi/Shibata/Shota Umino (Stop the Moxley)
  • House of Black (c) vs Best Friends/OC vs United Empire vs Dark Order
  • Powerhouse Hobbs (c) vs PAC
  • Acclaimed as hosts

With Starks/Hook/Jungle Boy/Lee/Sammy/Swerve/Wardlow/Acclaimed all having big matches at All Out the next week.

It's a little bit fun to look back on I guess. But I was way off with how things would shift. I conveniently forgot to add Cole to the card altogether. Oops.

• Like 1

Yes, we are terrified of discussing… the biggest complaint we all have about TK as a booker? Which is obviously the fact that every PPV seems thrown together. It keeps us up at night, it really does.

Of course, the caveat is - while every show appears to be thrown together, more often than not, the PPVs over deliver in-ring.

FTR/Bucks 3 doesn’t need weeks or months of build. It’s a feud they can always go back to, because it’s existed before AEW was a thing and within the company, it’s been a thing for going on three years. Tag champs challenge their greatest rivals for the highest attended show in AEW’s history. Boom, that’s it. 

Punk/Joe isn’t even confirmed yet, neither are any of the rumored six man tags. Maybe wait until they’re official before you lose your shit about it.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, we are terrified of discussing… the biggest complaint we all have about TK as a booker? Which is obviously the fact that every PPV seems thrown together. It keeps us up at night, it really does.

Of course, the caveat is - while every show appears to be thrown together, more often than not, the PPVs over deliver in-ring.

FTR/Bucks 3 doesn’t need weeks or months of build. It’s a feud they can always go back to, because it’s existed before AEW was a thing and within the company, it’s been a thing for going on three years. Tag champs challenge their greatest rivals for the highest attended show in AEW’s history. Boom, that’s it. 

Punk/Joe isn’t even confirmed yet, neither are any of the rumored six man tags. Maybe wait until they’re official before you lose your shit about it.

I agreed with you up until you said Punk/Joe isn’t confirmed. What more needs to be done to say it’s a lock? They repeatedly discussed it on Collision last week, and Joe issued the challenge with Punk having until tonight to accept (telegraphing a run in during or after the trios title match). That one is 100% on the card.

4 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I agreed with you up until you said Punk/Joe isn’t confirmed. What more needs to be done to say it’s a lock? They repeatedly discussed it on Collision last week, and Joe issued the challenge with Punk having until tonight to accept (telegraphing a run in during or after the trios title match). That one is 100% on the card.

Well, there's always the possibility that they whiff it and add Starks to the match. Or run something else entirely, nothing is confirmed until we see that sweet graphic with the solemn London sky as the backdrop. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I sort of think that Punk will say no tonight and then Joe will cost them the trios match, but who knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

1 hour ago, peachchaos said:

Well, there's always the possibility that they whiff it and add Starks to the match. Or run something else entirely, nothing is confirmed until we see that sweet graphic with the solemn London sky as the backdrop. 

Pretty much this. While it’s “official”, nothing is 100% until that graphic goes up. That’s what I meant. But let’s assume it is - it’s basically the same thing as Bucks/FTR. Do you REALLY need weeks or months of build for two guys who are rivals for over two decades??

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Maybe wait until they’re official before you lose your shit about it.

A discussion is just that...a discussion.  I already said multiple times I'm ordering the show and listed the reasons why.  This is a wrestling board where we discuss all the little details of this crazy world.  Yes,  I think the build has been lackluster and some of the choices are odd,  that's worthy of a discussion.  If you don't want to discuss it you don't have to. 

• Like 1

Curious how ZSJ is going to slot in, if they do put him on the card. For a long while it seemed like a lock but I'm not so sure now with so many other actual AEW guys still open. Maybe he'll be X alongside Eddie/OC vs BCC? Good as he is not sure he fits in a straight brawl like that though.

Edited by Mr. Monday Morning

HOB is perfect. 10/10 no notes.

I see my Little Friend is still being passive aggressive about Ricky Starks. It’s clear whoever’s booking Collision sees him the same way I do. I’m interested to see what they do with this “managers license” thing.

insert conspiracy theory here>
Ricky Starks is being held off of All In so he doesn’t show up TK’s “anointed” ones in the main event. 
(Again, I’m being facetious, but it’s become apparent that I have to make that abundantly clear so my Little Friend doesn’t season his Adam Cole undies.)

Hobbs vs. Miro? Insert Big E gif here.

It’s amazing how much fresher Collision feels than Dynamite. Probably because there’s no Jackson’s on Collision. Although I did thoroughly enjoy that trios match on Wednesday.

Also, in an update; we did go ahead and have my kid’s bday at the bouncy house. We already paid a deposit, and, why should we change when Cole is the one that sucks? I did get to go full MJF in the dodgeball arena. The only goodie bags those kids took home were welts with those familiar ball pattern imprints on them. Most of Will’s neighborhood friends are several years older than him, so it wasn’t like I was out there blasting murder missiles at toddlers. As a former camp counselor, I’ve made my peace with “never let them win.”

Edited by just drew
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

No one gives a crap about CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe Part 42. And now Punk has specifically made it that all we're talking about his facing The Elite. Sack up and do business. 

No word on Hangman, but by all accounts Omega is willing to do business but the Bucks (“as of last week” supposedly) still don’t want to work with Punk.

So I mean… the real money is in Omega/Punk anyway IMO.

The fuck does sack up mean? He should be a grocery boy?

If this is somehow some type manhood questioning here, please remember that a fair amount of people refuse to get over their childhood crush dissing them in third grade twenty or thirty years later. However, because YOU want to see it, CM Punk should get over a workplace grievance, petty or not. Yeah, I don't think humans generally work that way for monetary gain or otherwise.

• Thanks 1