DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

They should use “Cry Me a River” as a jumping-off point for a punishment gimmick change for Perry to a moody 1950s-era torch song singer. Can he play a trumpet? Smash out his teeth, and baby you got a Chet Baker 2100 AD stew going.

Sorry, best we can do is someone trolling on their instagram or YouTube show with the Justin Timberlake song. 

• Like 2

It would be funny if UFC during the pandemic built up all that hype for "Fight Island" only for it to be just a makeshift arena in the Middle East where they ran before as an entity owned by people like Ari Emanuel who shit out money and then Tony Khan actually bought a real fucking island just cause he can and did a throwaway gimmick match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

...unless one of them won a match and has to talk at the media scrum apparently.

He still ended up getting "sent home". Perry had already taken to the public with his unhappiness regarding the whole situation that led up to the actual confrontation. Yeah, that's probably going do it.

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Suspended? For what? He’s just a normal chill dude who thought Buddy Matthews would appreciate a Peri Peri bowl after his match! 

Heart of gold. Have you tried the ahi tuna? Yeah, heart of gold. 

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get people being angry at Jack Perry and both parties being suspended, but proper protocol for anything verified as physical is usually both parties being sent home whether there were immediate witnesses (like for example, someone in Gorilla/Jody position backstage) or not. That's just how that goes. 

I think that was before the sandwiches.

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

They should use “Cry Me a River” as a jumping-off point for a punishment gimmick change for Perry to a moody 1950s-era torch song singer. Can he play a trumpet? Smash out his teeth, and baby you got a Chet Baker 2100 AD stew going.

All this sounds like an upgrade. Team him with Toni Storm.

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

...unless one of them won a match and has to talk at the media scrum apparently.

Did I blink and miss Punk at the media scrum? Even last time, the fight came after.

What is this referring to?

They’ll never let him near one of those ever again, but it’s fun to imagine what he’d order to heighten the comedy. Chicken Caesar wrap would be good, but the move would probably be jumbo chicken platter and keep offering to share with Tony and the journalists who keep meekly declining. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sorry, best we can do is someone trolling on their instagram or YouTube show with the Justin Timberlake song. 

The idea of punishing guys with awful gimmicks on air reminds me of Dave's observation about BATB 2000 that nobody was concerned with the fans and what they want to see. 

I like to imagine this is all a well established shoot work, where we e entered the Cold War phase of the work drama leading to an AEW Civil War. Right now satellite wrestlers are being used as pawns in the sick Punk-Elite chess game. 

I feel like Tony just wanted Punk to behave long enough for them to get a new TV deal but Punk is hellbent on being Punk. If anything it seems he feels even more empowered since he is getting to say who and who can't show up at Collision, even though he's just a wrestler. I'm sure TK is frustrated as hell about this overshadowing the event but he gets no pity from me, he knew the deal he was making.

Its funny, I was reading a recap of Meltzer that said just two weeks ago that issues were a powder keg at Collision and it was only a matter of time until something happened. This isn't a *huge* deal by normal standards but just shows a pattern of behavior. The solution is to get Punk out of there but with shows in Chicago coming up and them trying to get a new TV deal, it just isn't that simple.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I feel like Tony just wanted Punk to behave long enough for them to get a new TV deal but Punk is hellbent on being Punk. If anything it seems he feels even more empowered since he is getting to say who and who can't show up at Collision, even though he's just a wrestler. I'm sure TK is frustrated as hell about this overshadowing the event but he gets no pity from me, he knew the deal he was making.

Its funny, I was reading a recap of Meltzer that said just two weeks ago that issues were a powder keg at Collision and it was only a matter of time until something happened. This isn't a *huge* deal by normal standards but just shows a pattern of behavior. The solution is to get Punk out of there but with shows in Chicago coming up and them trying to get a new TV deal, it just isn't that simple.

For the bolded part below, I don't think he's frustrated. Annoyed? Yes. I don't doubt that. That's why I think overshadow is too strong of a world here. The stuff with the Bucks, Omega, and Hangman overshadow a great PPV. This didn't. It happened right around the time the PPV went on air and didn't factor into the actual PPV. Moreover, it was likely a big financial windfall for AEW.

If anything, I think it does affect the plans for Jack Perry going forward. If you want to troll people at a random TV taping, that's fine. Still are going to get punished, but it's not as bad. You don't choose the biggest event in the history of the company to do that. I don't think Punk should escape admonishment, but old Jack has gotta be in time out over this and get himself together.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Did I blink and miss Punk at the media scrum? Even last time, the fight came after.

What is this referring to?

Well shit, I thought he was at it from the talk on the Discord, which was why I made that comment. Guess not. Sorry for being both confusing and confused.

Speaking of the latter I have NO idea what y'all are talking about food for haha

You know how you can tell Punk wasn't at the post event presser? No ten minute rant about what the hell happened. That would have been a dead giveaway.

Now that said, I doubt he was just chilling by a monitor especially with the members of the Elite having matches scattered throughout the card. Hell, most of the time even for big events, wrestlers are trying to beat traffic back to the hotel. 

32 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You know how you can tell Punk wasn't at the post event presser? No ten minute rant about what the hell happened. That would have been a dead giveaway.

Now that said, I doubt he was just chilling by a monitor especially with the members of the Elite having matches scattered throughout the card. Hell, most of the time even for big events, wrestlers are trying to beat traffic back to the hotel. 

He was in his locker room with security after his match, and left Wembley shortly after. Supposedly.

• Thanks 1

The thing that just sticks out to me about this, and it isn't anywhere near the most important point in any of this, is that Perry's line was just 100% pitch perfect what Punk would have said in that situation and has more or less said in others. Both men seem like individuals I'd cross the road to avoid having to interact with, but I have a specific aversion to people who talk a lot but cannot deal with any back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, username said:

The thing that just sticks out to me about this, and it isn't anywhere near the most important point in any of this, is that Perry's line was just 100% pitch perfect what Punk would have said in that situation and has more or less said in others. Both men seem like individuals I'd cross the road to avoid having to interact with, but I have a specific aversion to people who talk a lot but cannot deal with any back.

Exactly. 2005-2011 Punk says the exact same thing. 2023 Punk is 1996 Hogan, but Hogan was smart enough not to actually fight people. No fists, just politics brother.

• Like 3