DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

Of course, the option nobody wants to talk about is that Punk and MJF won’t have a unification match at all. They’ve barely mentioned each other, and haven’t interacted on-screen the past few times both have been on the same show. Entirely possible that it isn’t the plan, and both shows will just have their own top title.

Regardless of if that’s the plan or not, either way I don’t see Starks as the top title holder on Collision, or going into a unification match with MJF. He’s just not there yet, IMO. I know I’ll get disagreements on that, but I’m sorry, I don’t see it. 🤷🏼

• Like 1

Epic main event. The post-match had me on the edge, hoping and hoping we weren't gonna get the MJF sudden turn attack. I keep wanting this to stick. The reactions for them together are the best. With all the talk of SummerSlam 92, I wanna see the eventual MJF/Cole rematch happen and remain completely face vs face. 

Suzuki popping up was a nice surprise, super solid little match from him and Darby. Thought that finish worked really well for this one. 

Always great to see Kiera Hogan back on and a nice home state win for Mercedes, wasn't expecting her to go total heel again afterwards but I dig it. 

Ladder match made for a fun opener and got a good amount of time. 

Thought the Punk/Starks promo was pretty great. The Real Worlds Champ! 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd rather Starks win the FTaeW title off Punk and be the one to face MJF in the unification match, but a) MJF/Punk would be a bigger draw and b) like you said MJF defending against his new friend Cole and trying to decide if he wants to play by the rules or not is also the big money angle. Starks can go on to face whoever wins that match.

Starks likely has to get screwed over somehow so he can go on the chase.  He can win a match at ALL IN or something that gets him a future title shot.  Or maybe even at Grand Slam.

Assuming you’re talking about a title shot against Punk - that wouldn’t be possible, since Collision isn’t a part of Grand Slam and presumably Punk won’t be either since he’s had, what, one appearance on Dynamite since he’s come back? They’re in Michigan the week of Grand Slam.

If you’re talking about MJF, yeah, sure, that works. 😝

My first live Collision was a great one. Opener and main event were absolutely insane, and after a very shitty IRL week (lost my cat and my best friends mom within two days) this was SORELY needed.

Opener is among one of the craziest matches I've ever seen live, and when people ask me to throw out good matches and angles I've been at, I now realize R. Budd Matthews was in three of them (this one, a really kick ass Bucks/video game style match vs Cedric Alexander at a house show, and his AEW debut basically forming the full HOB in the same building as the Cedric match) - I wouldn't mind a big singles run at some point at all for him

Main event was just the most fun thing ever. They've got something really, really special with MJF/Cole and I'm super psyched to see we're heading. RIDICULOUSLY over with the live crowd. I thought MJF teasing the sharpshooter and ringpost figure 4 was the absolute best, for obvious reasons. After the cameras went off they brought FTR back out, and MJF cut a promo about how they're the best team in the world, and it's not about Dynamite vs Collision, they're all team AEW - then Max had a pizza brought out for them since CT is known for it. Dax then returned the show of respect by having a dude bring out a bottle of tequila and some solo cups, and Cole got a comically off rhythm 'Pizza and tequila!' chant going. It was really awesome, but I felt it was pretty telling MJF didn't address the real world champion at all ...

We're watching it back now and if anyone wondering which was the section very audibly booing Punk, and helping that 'Rickys Title' chant get some more legs, let's just say there was an incredibly good looking DVDVR poster in a Hangman shirt and a babe in a Dark Order shirt next to him helping that cause out - We also had some suuuuuper anti-Punk folks around us who were saying some legit funny shit, and it kind of spread because of that too. Let's just put it this way: by the end of this promo, there was a special needs guy in our row who was asking for John Cena to come out and kick his ass, and I think I heard at least 2 'Empty Headed Fucks!' Starks was just awesome here too, and if there does end up being a unification match, while I think MJF/Punk III is the obvious and most money making route, I kind of agree it feels like it may end up being something different like Starks/MJF. I'm really excited about the Ricky Steamboat announcement (and great way to utilize some archival ROH footage)

Really liked Mercedes/Kiera, all of Kiera's stuff like the top rope dropkick looked fantastic and the crowd was pretty into it - great reaction for Mercedes as in the other two CT towns they've run so far - the other day I was doing a hypothetical on ladies who would fit in with BCC because I always wanted them (and Team Taz in the early days) to have an rep in the women's division, and I threw out names like Serena Deeb, Leyla Hirch, Athena, I think someone else mentioned Saraya - I realized tonight Mercedes would be fucking perfect for that. I don't watch ROH consistently because I'm a non subscriber and I feel bad stealing it, so she wasn't fresh in my brain, but she'd be awesome with them. Great reaction for Stat and Willow as well, with a nice Willow chant breaking out in our section.

I cannot believe I got to see Suzuki again!! What a bonus, dude. Big 'Kaze Ni Nare!' and lots of boos on Darby for cutting it short. Goosebumps throughout this one just because i couldnt even believe it was happening - and funny enough, my better half predicted he would be there when I bought the tickets out of total left field! I told her I got them and she randomly said 'Maybe you'll get to hear your song!' (I went apeshit for him at Grand Slam I) I was so God damn pumped, man, I cannot even describe.

Trios match and Joe/Gravity were also fun as shit but the post show adrenaline is wearing thin -

Much larger crowd than the last two CT dates, but probably less people than LI or NJ. Though my section was having a great time busting his chops a little, it was a very CM Punk heavy crowd, and I will say, I noticed there were a lot more people with WWE replica belts and merchandise and that sort of thing - I can completely understand the perception that this is the show more geared toward that audience as opposed to Dynamite/Rampage/ROH, and with every match tonight having at least one ex-WWEr (though I don't think Mercedes was there very long) it kind of makes sense. Also WAY more kids than most of the Dynamites I've been to, I noticed.

Edit - this is such a crucial point, I'm actually making a late edit for it: I almost cannot believe Dasha Gonzalez exists. Settle me down gently. 

Awesome night of wrestling, with lots of great ROH action too (which I'll post on in that thread shortly) - one thing I will mention about that, though: they've gotta just open the doors earlier and tape ALL of ROH prior to the show. It's a Saturday, people won't care if it starts at 6. The crowd got thinner and thinner with every post-Collision match to the point that I believe it's gonna need some extra-heavy editing and a lot of tight non-hard cam shots. Like, you are definitely going to hear specifically me rooting for Bear Country

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Great main event and my feelings on Punk aside, doesn't it mean your actual champ look like a chump if a guy is out there saying he's the real champ and you're backstage?

(Didn't take that guy long to glom onto a title scene did it?)

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How many times in Wrestling has a Top Champion got injured, been stripped and seen a replacement Champion crowned, and then NOT returned from injury doing a "Real World Champion" gimmick?

Can't be too many, can it? In Western Wrestling at least?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Great main event and my feelings on Punk aside, doesn't it mean your actual champ look like a chump if a guy is out there saying he's the real champ and you're backstage?

If we're headed towards Cole turning on Max and taking his title, then heating up Babyface Punk vs. Babyface Max wouldn't make any sense - the unification bout would be Cole vs. Punk at that point

But yeah MJF looks like a chump for not responding to Punk

• Like 1

They should put all the belts on Stroke Daddy Starks. Both the big ones, anyway. Budro Mateos can win the Inty and My man Yutes can win the TNT. Youth movement, bay-bee…

Saw bits and pieces including going internet silent after 9:30 so I could watch the main without spoilers which I haven't done for a while.

I liked the main event but it wasn't as strong as most of the other Collision tags so far. Some great stuff, like the build to a groin shot (and to a lesser degree the build to Max vs Dax). I thought FTR should have made a bigger deal about going for the double clothesline right before Max rolled and got the hot tag. The finish was elaborate in the right way, but isn't the sort of thing they can do every week. They blew up my booking for All In, the jerks. I'm looking forward to FTR vs Bill/Cage. If they had done it this week, Bill would have been a huge babyface. Maybe next week FTR are the faces. Between that and Punk vs Starks II I'm looking forward to next week.

• Like 3

No, I hate Punk with the burning fire of a thousand suns, lol, but it completely chumps your actual champ when he says nothing, especially to a guy who "left him bloody".  Its lame booking and makes MJF look weak.  At least Starks is getting a deserved spotlight out of this, but no one doubts that Punk is getting his win(s) back

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 2

I guess if MJF was Dynamite exclusive it would add a little to how Punk is treating that belt. Also, I'm hoping it was a deliberate statement that the X covered up the E on the belt? Still really not sure what to make of Punk since the comeback, like they'll have to address his belt at some point but I'm guessing Cole/MJF is gonna take us to All Out probably.

Laughed a little at "Malakai and Brody being banned from the arena" but Julia was fine. I know commentary addressed her having a manager's lisence which gives her a pretty nice resume at this point. Licensed manager, national champion cheerleader.... spooky witch..... Match was great too. A lot of times with ladder matches it feels like the spots are chaos for the sake of spectacle but it felt like these two were trying to incapacitate each other using the plunder in the match. Probably could have done without the handcuffs spot especially once the bolt clippers came out (like... did Buddy and Julia have them there as a plan C?) but glad Buddy to shine in a singles match.

Kaze Ni Nare! I get The King as at a point in his career where he's not winning as much but I love that anyone who faces him still comes out of it like they've been through a war. I liked Darby countering the choke counter like he learned after what happened with Joe. 

Cardboard Jay White was incredible. I hope Gedo starts carrying one around too.

Was really surprised Max took the pin in that one, loved the post match drama too and Cole having the handshake moment with FTR. Cole's "do what you have to" before hugging it was a great moment too. Hoping they don't turn MJF face off all this since the big storyline is still his contract situation at the end of the year but he's gotten so good at milking the crowd with little stupid stuff like the double clothesline and t-shirts. Collision continues to rule!

• Like 3

Come on, guys.

Max cares more about his friendship with Cole than his previous obsession with Punk (he came out the first time in 22 wanting Punk’s approval and friendship) and he was entirely focused on the tag title match.

• Like 8

A lot of times when they use handcuffs in wrestling, it goes wrong. Either they can’t get them on right (and you get Adam Cole clinging to the bottom rope to hide the fact that he’s not actually handcuffed to it), or they can’t get them off fast enough (and one guy has to stall for ages while waiting for the handcuffed guy to escape and stop him winning). But last night, it worked perfectly. The wrestling gods were with them.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Log said:

Little man was pissed that Cole/MJF lost, so he immediately fired up Fight Forever and played as them to beat FTR for the titles. 

I love the stories of you and your little man, mate. Genuinely.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Log said:

Little man was pissed that Cole/MJF lost, so he immediately fired up Fight Forever and played as them to beat FTR for the titles. 

He definitely was not alone. FTR was getting shitted on by this crowd all night - one of a handful of dueling chants to split our household last night (I've mentioned before, but Cole's been her guy since he debuted on NXT - to bring it back around to your comment, I'm pretty sure when we were playing WWE2K19 heavy during the pandemic, she had him go on like a Bruno-esque 10,000 day IC title reign). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1