DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m not down with the deathmatch-ification of Wargames. A bed of nails in a Wargames match? The fuck outta here. The match is supposed to be beating the shit out of each other until someone gives up, not shitty CZW gimmicks.

Didn’t dig it

I mean it's called Blood and Guts not Flesh Wounds and Mild Knee Sprains for a reason.

• Like 15

I feel for the people chanting during the Kenny-Claudio stretch. Was thinking that the whole show prior being in the red rope ring was shortchanging people with floor seats closer to the other one. 

Of course Claudio gave them what they deserve for making demands while the heel's in control. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

Nail board aside, I didn't like Blood & Guts. It felt very choreographed, a "you do this now you do this..." feel rather than a blood feud. The Bucks "openly waiting for the next spot" style doesn't work in this environment. If this was a balls to the wall spotfest regular 10 man tag, this would have ruled. I just didn't feel the hatred. Last year's is still far and away the best Blood & Guts match.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This was a pretty good show. MJF and Adam Cole are gold together. I thought for sure tonight MJF was going to turn, but I think they're actually going to make this crazy pairing work. Well up until Cole wants that title shot.

Blood and Guts was all right even though there was a lack of blood (minus Moxley doing his routine gusher). When the bed of nails came out, I laughed. All I could think of was the bed of nails scene from Police Academy 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZzN2UiNAsQ

Posturepedic...very good for back.

I don't want to body shame anyone, but Kota Ibushi looked like crap tonight. For a guy who's always had such a ripped physique, he looked like he hadn't worked out in months.

Overall not a bad Blood and Guts. Just felt like it was missing stuff.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 4

Ok, here's my full list of complaints about the Main Event:

1) Ibushi needed to get more reps before this. Someone said this was his third match of 2023. It looked like it.
2) I get you want a super-violent match, but sometimes, less is more. We had 8 or so spots involving the bed of nails any one of which BY ITSELF would be a holy shit moment, and it was wasted because they never let the impact of "HOLY SHIT, A BED OF NAIILS!" breathe for more then 3 seconds., and we missed out on the classic deathmatch spot over fighting just above the bed of nails while one tries to rake the other's forehead on them.
3) We had glass, nine billion thumbtacks and the bed of nails. It was just too much. It's supposed to be a FIGHT, not a prop war.
4) Big one here. Whoever was the tv producer for this one needs to be told if they ever fuck up a match like this again, they're fired. There was at LEAST a half dozen spots where a holy shit moment started, but they cut away from the spot, only to comeback afterwards. PAC deserved more for that double footstomp from the cage stanchions. They missed the tacks-shoe for about 20-30 seconds, etcetera
5) They needed a few more seconds to breathe on the Takeshita leaving, something like Callis saying "This is not happening. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING, I gotta get him out of there..."

• Like 9

1 minute ago, SirFozzie said:

Ok, here's my full list of complaints about the Main Event:

1) Ibushi needed to get more reps before this. Someone said this was his third match of 2023. It looked like it.
2) I get you want a super-violent match, but sometimes, less is more. We had 8 or so spots involving the bed of nails any one of which BY ITSELF would be a holy shit moment, and it was wasted because they never let the impact of "HOLY SHIT, A BED OF NAIILS!" breathe for more then 3 seconds., and we missed out on the classic deathmatch spot over fighting just above the bed of nails while one tries to rake the other's forehead on them.
3) We had glass, nine billion thumbtacks and the bed of nails. It was just too much. It's supposed to be a FIGHT, not a prop war.
4) Big one here. Whoever was the tv producer for this one needs to be told if they ever fuck up a match like this again, they're fired. There was at LEAST a half dozen spots where a holy shit moment started, but they cut away from the spot, only to comeback afterwards. PAC deserved more for that double footstomp from the cage stanchions. They missed the tacks-shoe for about 20-30 seconds, etcetera
5) They needed a few more seconds to breathe on the Takeshita leaving, something like Callis saying "This is not happening. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING, I gotta get him out of there..."

That was me.

I liked the match but these are valid issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

i love that this is the kind of televised wrestling this board is bitching about in 2023

we have come so far from whatever year the Anonymous RAW GM was

Maybe I’ll rewatch Drew McInytre vs Chris Masters from that year!

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

I enjoyed Blood and Guts, but it did feel off at times. I could have sworn Kota asked every member of the BCC team if he could kick them in the face before breaking up all the submissions.  Camera issues aside (it seems like every promotion has these problems) -- the PAC double foot stomp through the table was great, and Yuta was a beast.

9 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I don't want to body shame anyone, but Kota Ibushi looked like crap tonight. For a guy who's always had such a ripped physique, he looked like he hadn't worked out in months.

That’s because he… hasn’t worked out in months. He’s had a shoulder injury that kept him from doing it apparently.

The Elite’s whole act isn’t and never was suited for a match like Blood & Guts. If it wasn’t for Mox doing his best Matsunaga impressions tonight, I’d call that a stinker (for a B&G match).

I legit lol’d at the reaction Nick got when he entered, which was basically crickets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Blood and Guts match times:

The Pinnacle vs. The Inner Circle (2021). 33:58.

Blackpool Combat Club vs. Jericho Appreciation Society (2022). 46:45.

The Golden Elite vs. Blackpool Combat Club (2023). 51:15.

I thought both this year’s and last year’s could have stood to have been ten minutes shorter. There’s no reason for a Wargames/B&G match to go 51 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RefMattyD570 said:

I thought both this year’s and last year’s could have stood to have been ten minutes shorter. There’s no reason for a Wargames/B&G match to go 51 minutes. 

Agreed. WWE's needed trimming down as well.

1 minute ago, RefMattyD570 said:

We need CMFTR in a Blood and Guts match. And not vs The Elite. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A messy production to be sure and a few goofy spots, but that's 'Blood and Guts'. 10 guys in a double ring cage - it's necessary to expect some awkwardness and clumsiness. We also got a pretty awful finish - a challenging and at times unsuccessful production. Kota Ibushi clearly looked unsure, and rusty, but also 'your', 'my' expectations were very high for a guy with so little ring time in the last year and change. Still...

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I think when you get a goofy-ass dance-off and also insanely dangerous nail board stunts on the same show and they both work and they both fit perfectly, you are talking about one of the all time great episodes of pro wrestling TV. Amazing.

Also, god bless Jack Perry for Beethoven 5!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently after the cameras went off, the BCC shook hands with the Golden Elite. So that’s over I guess.

and because Ibushi is gonna do Ibushi things, he took a back bump in the thumbtacks and rubbed them on his chest.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Maybe I’ll rewatch Drew McInytre vs Chris Masters from that year!

if you read this post and didn't know what the man meant, Drew McIntyre and Chris Masters had a legit C-Show CLASSIC in 2010 and if you haven't seen it you should go ahead and see it 
https://youtu.be/CfCPet567FQ?t=1818
i am gonna firmly occupy the territory of a man who digs both that match + B&G 23

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

Also, PAC and Takeshita leaving should have counted as surrender. They literally left the fight. Mox not quitting on camera and Schiavone having to throw that in at the end of the show was bush league.

• Like 2

I hope that Pac and Takeshita walking out doesn't go unpunished by the BCC.

I'd be perfectly happy with Pac challenging Claudio for the ROH title and either Moxley or Yuta seeking revenge against Takeshita.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Also, PAC and Takeshita leaving should have counted as surrender. They literally left the fight. Mox not quitting on camera and Schiavone having to throw that in at the end of the show was bush league.

100%, that was the part that left me most confused about the match.

• Like 1