DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

31 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

That's a weird way to spell "Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel where they can't punch each other in the face or Sherri will faint", but the keys are like right next to each other on the keyboard so I suppose it's a common typo.

I am open to the idea that Sherri has the single best performance out of anyone on the entire show. Any other interpretation of what you just said is not anything I can rightfully get behind however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peachchaos said:

I also think Bully Ray's pitch to keep everything at All In unannounced Mystery Vortex style has a lot of legs. 

I wouldn’t mind this. But you gotta announce the main event and maybe one other match, just to move a little more tickets.

Here's where I am on All In booking after the Punk promo and main event last night.

Whereas I shared some of the concern people had before last night, now I'm a little more keen on how wide open things are. There's enough interesting and compelling things flying in the air that any of them settling into a card will probably be worth watching. It's not a case that there's no build and no potential stories. It's a case that there are almost too many. It feels like a very active and dynamic world/universe. You have stuff like Jericho/Callis which intersects with Takeshita/Omega which intersects with potentially Takeshita/BCC which could also involve Sammy/Garcia. You have Punk/Starks which could intersect with MJF/Cole and so on and so forth.

Part of the appeal of AEW is learning about what's coming next week with the match ups and I think they were able to ramp things up just enough to make the lack of clarity, if not a plus, then not the massive minus everyone was thinking it was.

• Like 6

Looking over the roster you can book moments/people that definitely have to be on the Wembley show and work backwards from there to know roughly what could happen.

• Champions: MJF, Toni (or Shida), FTR, OC, SXEChamp CM Punk should all be considered locks.
  • Acclaimed will rap if not wrestle.
  • Bryan Danielson should appear even if injured.
  • Jamie Hayter should appear even if injured.
  • Jericho will get a prominent role so 80k people can sing Judas.
  • Members of BCC are very likely to wrestle.
  • Members of the Elite are very likely to wrestle.
  • Sting is very likely to appear at least if not wrestle.
  • British wrestlers: PAC is extremely likely to have a match, Saraya & Sabian less so, but likely to appear. Ogogo even less likely.
  • Guest British wrestlers: Nigel McGuinness, ZSJ, and Will Ospreay are all damn near guaranteed to appear. Lesser known names are likely also.
  • Potential celebrity/music/sports crossover acts.
  • Likely there will be a battle royal for both men and women to get as many people on the card as possible.

Even from just the above, we can extrapolate one hell of a show. 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2023 at 1:59 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

His match vs. Adam Cole was one of the worst things I've seen all year.  He's done as a top performer. He's done as a good performer. 

I like how you’re assuming that’s Jericho’s fault.

Also, aren’t you the guy who judges workers by how many IG followers they have?

Edited by just drew
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Here's where I am on All In booking after the Punk promo and main event last night.

Whereas I shared some of the concern people had before last night, now I'm a little more keen on how wide open things are. There's enough interesting and compelling things flying in the air that any of them settling into a card will probably be worth watching. It's not a case that there's no build and no potential stories. It's a case that there are almost too many. It feels like a very active and dynamic world/universe. You have stuff like Jericho/Callis which intersects with Takeshita/Omega which intersects with potentially Takeshita/BCC which could also involve Sammy/Garcia. You have Punk/Starks which could intersect with MJF/Cole and so on and so forth.

Part of the appeal of AEW is learning about what's coming next week with the match ups and I think they were able to ramp things up just enough to make the lack of clarity, if not a plus, then not the massive minus everyone was thinking it was.

I'll agree with this, and for the record, I definitely acknowledge that I was with you on the 'cautious optimism'/concern train earlier this week - being at Collision probably upped my hype even further, admittedly, but taking the full Collision/Dynamite/ROH roster plus NJPW guest stars into account, the options are limitless (insert Keith Lee joke here) - I think that's probably a huge reason for all the fervor about the Jericho/Ospreay rumor. In all honesty, I really have nothing against it as a potential match, and if it happens, barring layout issues like the aforementioned Jericho/Cole match, it'll probably be decent to great  - but there are just *so many* more interesting matches that could be run (not just speaking generally, but for both of them individually as well - again, it'll probably be fine, but I don't think anyone can say it's the best use of either, save I guess for TK himself, or if one or both requested it). Whereas earlier in the week the lack of roadmap kinda worried me, after last night, and *really* thinking about the roster (as well as Punk really hammering it home in his promo) my opinion is kinda leaning more toward it being one of those 'good problem to have' situations.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Aren't you the guy who judges wrestlers by how many muscles they have? 

He’s also the guy that’s so stuck on Ricky Starks that he’s insisting they put both world titles on him despite Starks being a lesser version of LA Knight who to me still seems like he’s cosplaying as both The Rock and Stone Cold. 

Or in this weeks tv thread showing how delusional he is by saying take MJFs belt and putting it on Starks shows a youth movement despite Starks being 6 years older than Max, and only one year younger than his mortal enemy and the guy that’s doing the truly elite work on Wednesday and Saturday nights alongside Max. Then wishing that Buddy I’m a 34 year old Matthews gets the international title like 34 is somehow youth movement too. 

I think if we’re asking for a youth movement then Darby needs to be the guy people use as the example not two thirty something’s who haven’t yet shown they can be main event guys without being attached to Seth Rollins or getting a stop and start push while staring at their hand like a goof doing their entrance.

Oh hey @just drew sorry to hurt your feelings but I’m sure Stroke Daddy knows how to make you feel special and good.

Edited by LF2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LF2 said:

He’s also the guy that’s so stuck on Ricky Starks that he’s insisting they put both world titles on him despite Starks being a lesser version of LA Knight who to me still seems like he’s cosplaying as both The Rock and Stone Cold. 

Or in this weeks tv thread showing how delusional he is by saying take MJFs belt and putting it on Starks shows a youth movement despite Starks being 6 years older than Max, and only one year younger than his mortal enemy and the guy that’s doing the truly elite work on Wednesday and Saturday nights alongside Max. Then wishing that Buddy I’m a 34 year old Matthews gets the international title like 34 is somehow youth movement too. 

I think if we’re asking for a youth movement then Darby needs to be the guy people use as the example not two thirty something’s who haven’t yet shown they can be main event guys without being attached to Seth Rollins or getting a stop and start push while staring at their hand like a goof doing their entrance.

Oh hey @just drew sorry to hurt your feelings but I’m sure Stroke Daddy knows how to make you feel special and good.

I thought you had me on ignore. 

Rent. Free.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Aren't you the guy who judges wrestlers by how many muscles they have? 

Nope. Just on how they work in relation to their size. Ya know, believability. Run along now. Your Sasha Banks body pillow is getting lonely.

7 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Looking over the roster you can book moments/people that definitely have to be on the Wembley show and work backwards from there to know roughly what could happen.

• Champions: MJF, Toni (or Shida), FTR, OC, SXEChamp CM Punk should all be considered locks.
  • Acclaimed will rap if not wrestle.
  • Bryan Danielson should appear even if injured.
  • Jamie Hayter should appear even if injured.
  • Jericho will get a prominent role so 80k people can sing Judas.
  • Members of BCC are very likely to wrestle.
  • Members of the Elite are very likely to wrestle.
  • Sting is very likely to appear at least if not wrestle.
  • British wrestlers: PAC is extremely likely to have a match, Saraya & Sabian less so, but likely to appear. Ogogo even less likely.
  • Guest British wrestlers: Nigel McGuinness, ZSJ, and Will Ospreay are all damn near guaranteed to appear. Lesser known names are likely also.
  • Potential celebrity/music/sports crossover acts.
  • Likely there will be a battle royal for both men and women to get as many people on the card as possible.

Even from just the above, we can extrapolate one hell of a show. 

I would guess we get less battle royals and a couple of multi person tags on the show or pre show to get Trent Seven , Kip and Sayraya on the show

20 minutes ago, just drew said:

Nope. Just on how they work in relation to their size. Ya know, believability. Run along now. Your Sasha Banks body pillow is getting lonely.

And you're also the guy that continues to watch things you hate.  Some life you have for yourself.  LOL.

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And you're also the guy that continues to watch things you hate.  Some life you have for yourself.  LOL.

I don’t watch things I hate. Haven’t watched wwe all year, besides the rumble & mania. I like AEW. I just think it’d be better if the people presented as top level characters looked like top level characters… and in some cases I’d settle for “look like they didn’t need directions to the gym.” But whatever you need to think about me is fine. You and your alter @LF2 have a wonderful afternoon. Tell Pillow Sasha I said hi.

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

I should know better than to engage you, as your level of “gotten to” is beyond logic at this point, but I’ve got the time today. I guess stanning a Great Value HBK is somehow more noble than an alleged Rock ripoff, right? If you’re so daft that you couldn’t at all pick up on the silliness and hyperbole in my post, then you’re even dumber than I thought, and I wasn’t sure that was even possible. I don’t really think they should put every title on Ricky Starks, but I do think he’s by far the most charismatic performer on the roster. He’s certainly miles ahead of the guy who constantly yells his own name and has to be attached at the hip to legitimate ratings draws to create the illusion that he wasn’t a total waste of payroll. The people booking Collision seem to agree about Starks, as he’s been in a prime spot every week. Starks had multiple matches with Chris Jericho that was orders of magnitude better than that back alley abortion Jericho dragged Adam Cole through. Starks is the goods. I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to assert that he’ll be a top guy on Collision in the next few months, if he isn’t already.

Back under the bridge, troll.

Edited by just drew

2 hours ago, just drew said:

1) The last sentence is pretty despicable. Even you should realize it.

2) If it's all about "working in relation to your size," what's the issue with Kenny Omega? He's jacked to the gills and hits like a freight train.

• Like 2