DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

NJPW's website officially announced Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada and Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay for Ospreay's IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship today at Forbidden Door. I'll keep updating this post when new matches are announced.

• Like 4

Can't believe my dream match, Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada is happening. Danielson is my pick for the Greatest Wrestler of All Time and Okada is my #3. Wrap them up in bubble wrap till then. Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay is a rematch of their Wrestle Kingdom 17 bout which I have second only to Ilja Dragunov vs. Dijak from NXT Battleground as my MOTY. Gave both *****.

• Like 4

This is less fantasy booking and much more speculating about matches that are realistic and would benefit both parties booking, but how about-

MJF defends against Hiroshi Tanahashi

SANADA defends against Darby (but would work just as well vs Jungle Perry or Sammy Guevara)

No one will buy a potential title change for either main belt, but this can give MJF a huge scalp to brag about (and maybe something else to hold over CM Punk) and let SANADA notch another defence in a match that should bolster his current Being A Good Wrestler push.

Plus those are two matches that can be excellent fun without aiming for main event epic and tiring people out before Okada/Danielson, Omega/Ospreay and Yano/Cassidy.

• Like 4

Be interesting to see what main events as usually the AEW World Championship match headlines AEW shows and the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship for NJPW. It's very rare for a secondary championship to go on last. I originally thought Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay but you won't send the fans home happy if Omega loses in Canada. I'd go with Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada.

Man, I just tried putting together my hopeful card for the rest of the show and there is just so much talent across the board it's hard to put everyone on there. Going to be interested to see who gets left off this time around. I have a feeling this could be one of the best cards ever constructed for a pro wrestling PPV and storylines aside could be some of the best in ring wrestling we will ever see. I mean those top two matches already have me overly hyped for this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krone said:

Man, I just tried putting together my hopeful card for the rest of the show and there is just so much talent across the board it's hard to put everyone on there. Going to be interested to see who gets left off this time around. I have a feeling this could be one of the best cards ever constructed for a pro wrestling PPV and storylines aside could be some of the best in ring wrestling we will ever see. I mean those top two matches already have me overly hyped for this.

The talent on both sides can lead to stuff like last year's OC/Osprey match where, when it's announced, it seems odd and sort of a mismatch, but ends up being amazing.

• Like 1

So no way Mercedes Mone is healed in time to wrestle on this show, but maybe she makes an appearance during/after Willow's match (because they have to have a match with her belt right?)

Looking at last year's show, there were only four singles matches and the rest were trios/multi man matches to get everyone on. Hope Tetsuya Naito makes it this time round. Biggest NJPW name missing from the inaugural show.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Samoa Joe vs. Zack Sabre Jr or Samoa Joe vs. Tomohiro Ishii, please and thank you.

They definitely seem to be building ZSJ vs. Joe. I think it's just a question of whether it goes on this show or an ROH one.

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

I'm secretly hoping for LiJ vs. House of Black. I think that match would be a banger. If not, OC/Naito would suffice, maybe with Swerve thrown in as well for storyline purposes.

• Like 4

I’m really intrigued to see how they use Sanada on this show. Being the champ, you’d expect him to be featured in some way, but he’s probably not even a Top 10 NJPW guy in terms of Western relevance. There are no Sanada dream matches. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JLowe said:

So no way Mercedes Mone is healed in time to wrestle on this show, but maybe she makes an appearance during/after Willow's match (because they have to have a match with her belt right?)

They might, but don’t expect anyone from Stardom to show up. They’re running a fairly big show the same day with all the major players appearing.

More than likely we get a Toni Storm match, just like last year.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Looking at last year's show, there were only four singles matches and the rest were trios/multi man matches to get everyone on. Hope Tetsuya Naito makes it this time round. Biggest NJPW name missing from the inaugural show.

Naito is booked in CMLL June 26-30 as part of a FantasticaMania Mexico tour, so I'm thinking he may show up in Canada that Sunday.

(Bushi, Desperado, TM 4 also on that CMLL tour. Curious if AEW could book Titan on this show given Mexican wrestling politics)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bryan-vs-Okada.jpg

US-championship.jpg

Official graphics.

Shit, even I’m excited for this. I much prefer Omega when he’s treated as an attraction rather than when he’s the main character. Both of these matches are going to rule.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

Shit, even I’m excited for this. I much prefer Omega when he’s treated as an attraction rather than when he’s the main character. Both of these matches are going to rule.

I prefer NJPW Kenny Omega to AEW Kenny Omega.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Coach Tony K~! I am once again respectfully asking you to book Orange Cassidy vs Toru Yano as I did last year and as I will continue to do until I manifest this match into existence. 

Take in mind that Yano is in the G-1 again and think about all those possible matchups. King vs. Yano is gonna be hilarious. 

• Like 1