DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I still think MJF no shows in story for the match against Tanahashi and Punk steps up to face Tanahashi instead.

They planted the seeds, so there's a chance Max doesn't work the show. But I don't think Tony is the type to pull the rug last minute and bait and switch a major advertised PPV match. So if he's not working the show, I expect they make it clear on one of the prior TVs rather than the PPV starting and people being like "oh, he meant it." 

Still, I'd rather just see the MJF match because we get so few of them and him vs Tanahashi would be a trip. Also, three MJF matches in the span of a month would be a nice change of pace. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They planted the seeds, so there's a chance Max doesn't work the show. But I don't think Tony is the type to pull the rug last minute and bait and switch a major advertised PPV match. So if he's not working the show, I expect they make it clear on one of the prior TVs rather than the PPV starting and people being like "oh, he meant it." 

Still, I'd rather just see the MJF match because we get so few of them and him vs Tanahashi would be a trip. Also, three MJF matches in the span of a month would be a nice change of pace. 

To be fair, MJF vs Tanahashi feels like the least major of the announced matches, but that's maybe because of Max saying he's not going to do it. The biggest matches feel like Kenny vs Ospreay and Okada vs Danielson. Jungle Boy vs Sanada just feels like an afterthought to setup a heel turn for JB. I'd rather see OC vs Sanada and then just a singles between Garcia and ZSJ. Plus, Excalibur could bring up the history between Chaos and Sanada and with Okada facing Danielson, OC is the best person to step for Chaos or something like that.

Despite what sounds like gripes, I'm still down for all of these matches. JB vs Sanada is such a weird pairing though. I have no idea how that's going to work.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be fair, MJF vs Tanahashi feels like the least major of the announced matches, but that's maybe because of Max saying he's not going to do it. The biggest matches feel like Kenny vs Ospreay and Okada vs Danielson. Jungle Boy vs Sanada just feels like an afterthought to setup a heel turn for JB. I'd rather see OC vs Sanada and then just a singles between Garcia and ZSJ. Plus, Excalibur could bring up the history between Chaos and Sanada and with Okada facing Danielson, OC is the best person to step for Chaos or something like that.

Despite what sounds like gripes, I'm still down for all of these matches. JB vs Sanada is such a weird pairing though. I have no idea how that's going to work.

Omega-Ospreay and Okada-Danielson feel like the biggest matches because they are. It's pieces everyone wants on the board for a NJPW crossover show who weren't on the board last year in Danielson and Omega in dream matches, and Okada's not parked in a four way. When people are pitching AEW vs NJPW dream matches, those are the names that come up the most. When the champs are MJF and Sanada, their matches will are second tier unless they're facing an Omega or an Okada. And that's okay, there can be shows where the top title matches don't take priority. We just had one of those at Double or Nothing, it's fine. 

FWIW, current rumour is Omega-Ospreay closes. As it probably should, it being both one of the dream matches and a continuation of an ongoing story. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Punk having a mid match with KENTA on a show with main events that are gonna melt people's minds was never a winning proposition. Nothing of value is lost. Who cares if they have the same finish. 

Not making the match is promotional malpractice. Not every match has to be a seven-star barnburner. Sometimes having a Tanahashi vs. Billy Gunn match is good too.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

MJF would be nice. But if he noped out and we got "champion" Punk vs Tana instead I'd pop HUGE. Great storyline development too. Are they building to MJF vs Punk at ALL IN?

Updated card after Dynamite:

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada.

AEW World Championship. MJF (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. SANADA (c) vs. Jungle Boy.

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship. Kenny Omega (c) vs. Will Ospreay.

AEW Women's World Championship. Toni Storm (c) vs. Willow Nightingale.

AEW International Championship. Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Daniel Garcia.

Minoru Suzuki/Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara vs. Sting/Darby Allin/TBA.

Claudio Castagnoli/Jon Moxley/Wheeler Yuta/Konosuke Takeshita/Shota Umino vs. Hangman Adam Page/Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson/Eddie Kingston/Tomohiro Ishii.

CM Punk vs. Satoshi Kojima.

• Like 1

My ears caught what Excalibur said as Bryan Danielson and Kazuchika Okada stared each other down:

"We only have to wait till Sunday. The main event live from Toronto on PPV, Forbidden Door. The American Dragon Bryan Danielson. The Rainmaker Kazuchika Okada. A dream match for the ages."

Afterwards Excalibur again said:

"Forbidden Door. The main event. Bryan Danielson. Kazuchika Okada."

The right match goes on last. Dave Meltzer was saying it was the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship match as Kenny Omega defends vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW sometimes does double main events but to me the last match is the the main event. We'll have to see the running order when NJPW posts the full card on their website.

Edited by The Natural

Remember when people were beating the “Punk should be a special attraction” drum? Tony wasn’t listening lmao! Match three is Sunday, and he’s in a tourney he could go the distance in (there’s a case for Joe beating him in their first AEW bout together to build an ongoing issue, we’ll see).

So much good stuff already. Blessed.

• Like 5

Before Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada and Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay, my top ten MOTY 2023:

10. Eddie Kingston vs. Jay White. NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023.

9. Kyle Fletcher/Mark Davis vs. Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI. NJPW Sakura Genesis 2023.

8. Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Dynamite, 25th January.

7. Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

6. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens vs. Jey Uso/Jimmy Uso. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. *****.

5. Kenny Omega vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo. AEW Dynamite, 22nd March. *****.

4. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. *****.

3. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

2. Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17. *****.

1. Ilja Dragunov vs. Dijak. WWE NXT Battleground, 28th May. *****.

Sanada has a nickel brain if he doesn't understand the concept of an open challenge. Yes, an open challenge really is that easy to decide. You put out an open challenge. Literally anyone can say, OK, I'll do it.

Anyway...My friend and I were talking about the show and thinking this could be an all time great PPV for in ring action. Plenty of good angles going into this show too.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 1:09 AM, elizium said:

+ Athena and Billie Starkz on the preshow as part of the Owen.

RIP Billie Starkz.   Billie was easily Jade Cargill's best opponent in recent memory not named Kris Statlander, so hopefully Starkz will get some quality offense in and have a good showing before Athena kills her dead.

A non-title upset might not be out of the question if it leads to an enjoyable public execution.. uh... title shot and rematch on ROH TV.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

RIP Billie Starkz.   Billie was easily Jade Cargill's best opponent in recent memory not named Kris Statlander, so hopefully Starkz will get some quality offense in and have a good showing before Athena kills her dead.

A non-title upset might not be out of the question if it leads to an enjoyable public execution.. uh... title shot and rematch on ROH TV.

Didn't Billie bloody someone up pretty good with a kick, thinking maybe DMD?