DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/31/2023

The Natural

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude I thought YOU posted this but I guess I confused you with someone else - there was a video here where Stokely was taking over TK's office (it was really, really well done - for example, taking a pic of Tony and his parents off the wall, and replacing it with a portrait of George & Weezy Jefferson) leading some to believe he may be that guy. FWIW, I know The Firm was supposed to be heavily involved with Punk before...stuff happened... So while it's not necessarily a meaningful connection, it's entirely possible.

https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/status/1660684357051219968?s=20

Edit: found a link

Big Stoke on a power trip would be great

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Reading this thread for the first time, after already seeing the match announcements, that’s an experience. 

A lot of people really struggling with Post-Sports Entertainment Disappointment Disorder.

Everyone seems very grouchy. Let's go get an Impossible Whopper and relax.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm glad for Stat vs Nyla. Great opponent to help continue to put over her dominance. That said, I don't think Tony has the wherewithal to push both Stat and Willow at the same time and that feels like it's going to be a lost opportunity, for the sake of timing.

Thankfully, he's incentivized to push NJPW title holders both through ROH in general and for Forbidden Door upcoming and that might be the saving grace here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Log said:

Speaking only for myself, but I have still been greatly enjoying the overall in-ring AEW I've seen lately. I'm probably higher on Double of Nothing than most of you were.

My enjoyment of AEW has been being able to sit down on Wednesday evening and see a pro wresting show that was mostly absent of the things I've come to not like to see on pro wrestling shows. A couple of those things were authority figures and brand splits, so I'm not excited for those to be introduced.

With WWE, I went from watching it religiously every week, to dvr-ing and fast-forwarding through long talk segments or whatever. Eventually, there were things about the presentation that caused me to just not want to watch altogether, but that's another topic for another time.

I still enjoy AEW, and I'm not writing them off. I'm just hoping that they don't change things to the point where I'm not interested in watching live every week. It's really been nice having a live pro wrestling show in my life again. I hope the company can grow and change, but not at the expense of what made it enjoyable to me (again, personally).

I enjoyed an actual live match (semi-main in some ways) kicking off the night. 

Brand split might be ok - there are so many good wrestlers (Hobbs? ) who just disappear. 2 more hours with good storylines will help. BUT Saturday night is now such a crowded live space (college football in the fall, college basketball, then pro basketball on ABC). Heck Fox has baseball in the summer. 

AEW - Rampage has become a DVR event for me; and Collision will too likely come fall. 

• Like 1

When Nyla was World champion, Kris Statlander was the first challenger to really push her. There’s a lot of story to be mined in this rematch.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Nyla was World champion, Kris Statlander was the first challenger to really push her. There’s a lot of story to be mined in this rematch.

Good call. It's often difficult for me to remember specific spots from more modern/recent stuff, but I vividly remember a Stat-flipping-guillotine on the apron from that one that was absolutely nuts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

Everyone seems very grouchy. Let's go get an Impossible Whopper and relax.

I'll take mine with no pickles and no onions. At BK, have it your way...YOU RULE!!!!

Yes, I know that's getting stuck in someone's head now. I'm being Not So Nice Guy Eddie. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll take mine with no pickles and no onions. At BK, have it your way...YOU RULE!!!!

Yes, I know that's getting stuck in someone's head now. I'm being Not So Nice Guy Eddie. 

My little kids sing this. Part of me can’t help but think how cute it is, but I’m like damn this advertising has successfully embedded itself in their little brains and now they are doomed forever. 

Oh well, time to go get them some Chicken Fries (tm). 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 赤い竜 said:

Another match added

Swerve vs Big Bill vs Trent Baretta.

What even is that? He’s gone too far the other way! Great job.

I don't know guys. This turned out to be a pretty wonderfully out there collection of pro wrestling matches now that the smoke has cleared.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Just now, 赤い竜 said:

Another match added

Now we're cooking with gas!

If this leads to Big Bill/Little Lee vs The Gates of Agony vs Best Friends somehow I'll be on dream street.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, 赤い竜 said:

Another match added

I did not know this was a thing that could even be, much less how much I needed this to be a thing that could happen, until now.

• Like 3

OK. So far that's FIVE (5) matches announced (mixed tag, BCC trios, Stat vs Nyla, GATES OF F'N AGONY, & random as hell 3-way) vs FOUR (4) talky bits (Tony announces something, hear from Takeshita, what's up with Friedman, and hear from White Juice). In my opinion 5 > 4, so Actual Wrestling (Actual Exciting Wrestling? Actually Entertaining Wrestling? Altogether Excellent Wrestling?) lives to see another day. Also Natural's Dad's birthday has been saved. And my heart just grew three sizes *

Well played, AEW, well played. 

*note: The announcement of a brand split and a draft may cause Gordlow's heart to shrink by  a factor of >3. Right there with Log on that one.

Trying. Trying REAL HARD to be cautiously optimistic on that front. 😀

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Neat line-up. @Matt D, I think, suggested something to the effect that Wednesday would be a blank canvas to be excited about. Their history backs that idea up. I never bought the Pre-Show Sour Hour. And here we are with a bunch of neat matches, ugh, and another fucking 3 way. Goddamn, I fear this trend of multi-man matches as much as Gordlow the split. 'Soft split' clap clap clap-clap-clap! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

OK. So far that's FIVE (5) matches announced (mixed tag, BCC trios, Stat vs Nyla, GATES OF F'N AGONY, & random as hell 3-way) vs FOUR (4) talky bits (Tony announces something, hear from Takeshita, what's up with Friedman, and hear from White Juice). In my opinion 5 > 4, so Actual Wrestling (Actual Exciting Wrestling? Actually Entertaining Wrestling? Altogether Excellent Wrestling?) lives to see another day. Also Natural's Dad's birthday has been saved. And my heart just grew three sizes *

Well played, AEW, well played. 

*note: The announcement of a brand split and a draft may cause Gordlow's heart to shrink by  ,factor of >3. Right there with Log on that one.

Trying. Trying REAL HARD to be cautiously optimistic on that front. 😀

No matter what happens with the non-wrestling segments and draft, just think of all the potential matchups that might happen because different people will be in focus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

Speaking only for myself, but I have still been greatly enjoying the overall in-ring AEW I've seen lately. I'm probably higher on Double of Nothing than most of you were.

My enjoyment of AEW has been being able to sit down on Wednesday evening and see a pro wresting show that was mostly absent of the things I've come to not like to see on pro wrestling shows. A couple of those things were authority figures and brand splits, so I'm not excited for those to be introduced.

With WWE, I went from watching it religiously every week, to dvr-ing and fast-forwarding through long talk segments or whatever. Eventually, there were things about the presentation that caused me to just not want to watch altogether, but that's another topic for another time.

I still enjoy AEW, and I'm not writing them off. I'm just hoping that they don't change things to the point where I'm not interested in watching live every week. It's really been nice having a live pro wrestling show in my life again. I hope the company can grow and change, but not at the expense of what made it enjoyable to me (again, personally).

I have really enjoyed an actual live match (semi-main in some ways) kicking off the night. 

Brand split might be ok - there are so many good wrestlers (Hobbs? ) who just disappear. 2 more hours with good storylines will help. BUT Saturday night is now such a crowded live space (college football in the fall, college basketball, then pro basketball on ABC). Heck Fox has baseball in the summer.  

AEW - Rampage has become a DVR event for me; and Collision will too likely come fall. 

5 hours ago, Log said:

Double post sorry

Edited by chriskbrown50
double post

I'm guessing the three way becomes, if not outright stated, a way to set up OC's next challenger. Bill had an impressive showing in the battle royal, Swerve made it to the final 2, and Trent took the bullet for OC, I assume that is how they'll justify it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elizium said:

I'm guessing the three way becomes, if not outright stated, a way to set up OC's next challenger. Bill had an impressive showing in the battle royal, Swerve made it to the final 2, and Trent took the bullet for OC, I assume that is how they'll justify it.

Trent and Bill have already had singles shots and OC's tagging tonight against people in Swerve's stable. It's the Mogul's time! 

• Like 1