DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/24/2023

The Natural

Just now, Raziel said:

I know I'm gonna get called Wrestling Grandpa for not being with it, but holy shit was the OC/Fletcher match fucking awful.  I actually like OC, but the finisher fest and kicking out of everything, in the opener, was inexcusable.  Someone really needs to reign people in.

100% agree. I'm with the people who have enjoyed Orange's run, his matches have been great, but don't tell me he's being worn down from all these title defenses and then have him kick out of back-to-back Tombstones and a 2nd rope Michinoku Driver.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm so annoyed, all the times they did the lights out gimmick in the past for a wrestler appearing and they don't do it for the lights out OG??? What a waste, fuck AEW.

EVERY TIME THEY DO IT I YELL "SABU"!!! Goddammit...

Anyway my guess is that Sabu throws some chairs and does an Arabian moonsault onto the other what, nine? guys on the outside of the ring because he can't resist and you can't tell Sabu "yeah you can't do that". While I'm fantasy booking it would be awesome to have Sabu as a silent GM who gives proclamations through his valet that makes all matches as hardcore as possible. Tony... hey Tony...

There is a shitload we bantered about on the Discord but what it boils down to me is 

1. Orange had a great match while Fletcher has hair like his mom cut it for him when he was ten years old

2. Strong/Garcia was KILLER and vicious as hell

3. We needed an actual strong women's match on the go-home card and not having one was sad as fuck -- Willow, who just won a belt, is RIGHT THERE

4. Dax is like the guy from Goodfellas who had to say everything twice. "I'm gonna go get the papers get the papers."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Mark Briscoe was completely justified in slapping the taste out of FTR Bald's mouth. Shoving everyone out of his way from Planet Jarrett on the way out was also very good.

Pull the Double Turn at Double or Nothing, the fans want to cheer for Global Nonstop Action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Also, agreed, the finisher spamming was pretty egregious in the Orange match but I think it plays into the story of him being the slowly wearing down Terminator who has to survive through wiliness. Though yeah don't Tombstone anyone ever three times in a match and let them win.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Pull the Double Turn at Double or Nothing, the fans want to cheer for Global Nonstop Action.

Platinum Satnum as a face is basically printing money. He has the heart of David and the body of Goliath. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Anyway my guess is that Sabu throws some chairs and does an Arabian moonsault onto the other what, nine? guys on the outside of the ring because he can't resist and you can't tell Sabu "yeah you can't do that". While I'm fantasy booking it would be awesome to have Sabu as a silent GM who gives proclamations through his valet that makes all matches as hardcore as possible. Tony... hey Tony...

Sabu looked to be moving slightly better tonight than he was a year ago when he showed up in GCW

Kind of hoping Sabu turns out to be a double-agent for JAS, and then we get Jericho/Garcia/Sabu vs. Cole/Roderick/RVD at Wembley

Hard to believe Sabu now is the same age Original Sheik was when he started training Sabu in 1984 (58). I can get on board with Sabu as a manager.

Dug the opener. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but the story they're trying to tell where OC wears himself out against all comers really works here. 

Ricky Starks is so goddamn great. Every week he goes on tv and reminds fans of what he has that try-hards like Adam Cole don't. Effortless delivery. An aloof cool that the gen-ed students in my school call "Rizz." I think it's kinda smart to have Starks in the battle royal. That way they can further the story without anyone eating a pin. Juice Robinson cracks me up. 

I dug that Jungle Boy interview. I think that's probably the way to present him.

Lady Frost got the whole-ass entrance. I'd bet she's signed soon, at least to ROH. Pretty good match. 

I'm sure this is gonna upset some people, but I just don't find "big boy voice" Adam Cole credible. There's nothing about Cole's presentation, demeanor, or style that makes me think he's capable of breaking any of Chris Jericho's bones. Strong Rod? Certainly. Sabu? Hell yes. Easter Island Head with a body made out of Pipe Cleaners Adam Cole? Nope.

Main event was fine. Again, the Young Bucks getting to act like tough guys after the events of Brawl Out and the passage from their book about how upset they were when they got tuned up in a wrestling match is flimsy at best, but the match should be fun on Sunday.

• Like 2

I really liked the opening idea of OC/Fletcher, with Fletcher going right to some bombs to end it early and OC trying to get the countout to survive and then playing games through the commercial break to slow things down and recover. It definitely could’ve benefitted from a post-commercial segment that wasn’t just going back to the bombs (and, really, going overkill with the bombs), but I think part of the deal here was making Fletcher look like a big deal ahead of announcing the Aussie Open signing, and I’d say that was mission accomplished.

• Like 3

MJF might be my favorite wrestler these days and I'm not sure how I feel about that......

OC/Fletcher was fun but fell into some indy tropes I had wished we had gotten away from, a top rope michinoku driver kick out especially the way Fletcher spikes dudes with his just.... I get they're trying to put over how tough OC is with how he keeps willing his way through more grueling matches but sometimes something that should be a finish should be a finish or just don't do the damn spot. 

Speaking of Fletcher, got a little Jimmy Rave vibes off him tonight.

Mark Briscoe has been so dope in this program, that Lethal is the one he has the closest connection to but even in this moment its so strained because he sees through his bullshit. 

Ricky Stars - "What I can do to two men,  I can do to twenty men!"

Sterling Archer - "So, are we just not doing phrasing anymore?"

I know it'd be the SHITTIEST way to end a PPV but wondering if Jack feeds into the darkside and is the one to lay down for MJF. Darby's been on fire for this build up but the reign of terror still has a long way to go.

And now, in celebration, some verse, by the Jay's Utsler and Bruce.

What is a Juggalo?
A hulkamaniac!
He powerbombs motherfuckers into thumbtacks!

People like him 'til they find out he's unstable,

He Sabu'd your momma through a coffee table
(Ohhh myyyy God!)

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Speaking of Fletcher, got a little Jimmy Rave vibes off him tonight.

Thank you. This has been bugging me. No reason Nana can't manage those guys btw, although I think they might end up in The Bullet Club Experience feat. Jay White.

• Like 3

OC with another banger. The match was laid out so well. I agree with the point that all of OC’s rolls and taunts — the shtick that makes OC such a singularly unique performer — should not have been buried on a commercial break. He is maybe the only wrestler ever whose “rest spots” are more interesting than the actual match. The ending was aces with Fletcher running out of ideas and Orange catching him with a roll-up.

The criticism I would have with the match is Fletcher needed to lean into his character a lot more. I don’t mind 10000 finishers. But Fletcher had a lot of opportunities here for good trash talk or belittling the audience or disrespecting his opponent. He showed frustration decently well at the end of the match but it would have showed fantastically well with overconfidence earlier in the match. 

• Like 1

And yes, I absolutely think next week we are going to have MJF do a gloating heel victory promo and say no one can stop him and then we hear “Jane” because OC just lost his title in a battle royale. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Thank you. This has been bugging me. No reason Nana can't manage those guys btw, although I think they might end up in The Bullet Club Experience feat. Jay White.

I think with Aussie Open signing, that the United Empire is one step closer to being another stable that’s split between two promotions. And then Ospreay will probably sign in 2024, so…

• Like 2

I really hope the Vegas crowds are not as low-energy as they were tonight. It could be the acoustics, but the crowd sounded half asleep and dead most of the night. Not to mention, they will only be about half full in the T-Mobile Arena on Sunday if they are lucky.

I'm glad they touched on Aussie Open vacating the tag titles over the weekend and promoted Willow Nightingale's big win over Mercedes Mone. I saw these as positive steps. During Wrestle Kingdom season it's like they utterly forgot that Kenny Omega was in the co-main event and wrestling Ospreay for the US title.

Felt like an overall average show, but as the go-home show before a PPV it didn't need to be huge and groundbreaking. Seems like the world title fatal 4-way has turned Sammy Guevara into a soft babyface, which is OK, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Darby's promos have sort of hit home to me that this match should probably just be MJF vs. Darby Allin instead of a Fatal 4-Way, but oh well. 

I get that Sabu apparently lives in Vegas, but his appearance tonight as an enforcer for Roddy and Adam Cole felt random as hell. Sabu was really the best name they could've come up with? I get if Kyle O'Reilly is still hurt and they couldn't get a return of Bobby Fish for one night only, but I found this development dumb as hell. Sometimes I think Tony Khan makes some really inspirational, effective moves, and other times, he does these fudge brained idiotic things like this. Sabu showing up for this and helping out Cole and Strong is dumb and makes no sense. Getting Juventud Guerrera would've been less head-scratching.

Also, just to balance things out with more positivity, Taz is consistently brilliant on commentary. His off-the-cuff jabs and remarks make him like the cool, jovial uncle who happens to be like Jerry Seinfeld or something. Back in the early 00s, when Taz settled into his commentary role on SmackDown, I thought he and Cole were doing some of the best work in his career. Granted, I didn't watch too much of Taz in TNA, but he's been doing consistently great commentary work in AEW. He never oversells anything. He's not a full-on heel announcer, but he will root for some the heels. He doesn't upset the balance of a three-man booth.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I get that Sabu apparently lives in Vegas, but his appearance tonight as an enforcer for Roddy and Adam Cole felt random as hell. Sabu was really the best name they could've come up with? I get if Kyle O'Reilly is still hurt and they couldn't get a return of Bobby Fish for one night only, but I found this development dumb as hell. Sometimes I think Tony Khan makes some really inspirational, effective moves, and other times, he does these fudge brained idiotic things like this. Sabu showing up for this and helping out Cole and Strong is dumb and makes no sense. Getting Juventud Guerrera would've been less head-scratching.

If you wanted to bring in a hardcore equalizer for one night, Nick Gage has a history with Jericho and would have made more sense (so long as he left the pizza cutter at home)

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I really hope the Vegas crowds are not as low-energy as they were tonight. It could be the acoustics, but the crowd sounded half asleep and dead most of the night. Not to mention, they will only be about half full in the T-Mobile Arena on Sunday if they are lucky.

Not trying to defend a quiet crowd, but it’s Vegas at 5pm on a Wednesday. No traveling fans. The Sunday show won’t have a great attendance but there will be traveling hardcore fans and they are already over 7k out of a potential 13.5k. 

I said it for the last cycle at revolution, but they really need to stop trying 2-3 shows in the same week in the same city until they are way hotter. 

• Like 5

Did someone really just suggest that AEW try and bring back Bobby Fish for one night? The same guy who drug them through the mud and was begging Triple H on social media to hire him?

lol what

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If you wanted to bring in a hardcore equalizer for one night, Nick Gage has a history with Jericho and would have made more sense (so long as he left the pizza cutter at home)

Or Jorge Masvidal or some UFC or MMA type fighter. Isn't Paige VanZant still under contract?