DVDVR Message Board

WrestleZAYNia XXXIX - 4/1 & 4/2/2023

Dolfan in NYC

So over the next few weeks when Roman blames Jey for The Usos losing the straps and he reminds Roman they saved him and it goes from there, which is what they have been coyly building to for a while, do we all hate on that or what? Because I want that more than I want Cody to win after returning three months earlier.

• Like 6

In the Elimination Chamber thread, I raised the question of if HHH and Roman would REALLY let Cody stand tall at Mania after the shots he took at them over the years.

Apparently the answer was, no, they would not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

So over the next few weeks when Roman blames Jey for The Usos losing the straps and he reminds Roman they saved him and it goes from there, which is what they have been coyly building to for a while, do we all hate on that or what? Because I want that more than I want Cody to win after returning three months earlier.

As someone who thinks the Bloodline story is overrated as fuck, yes. I’d take Cody as WWE Champion over that all day, every day.

And I hated Cody in AEW after 2019.

• Like 6

Just now, Casey said:

As someone who thinks the Bloodline story is overrated as fuck, yes. I’d take Cody as WWE Champion over that all day, every day.

And I hated Cody in AEW after 2019.

We then have a fundamental difference of opinion on what is good about wrestling. 

5 minutes ago, A_K said:

Nah. That's not where its going 🔮

The booking is great. That's why these guys are running multi-mil viewers in a hostile media environment while the other lot shed hundreds of thousands by the month.

Roman is money. He'll drop the belts this year, but he wasn't doing it at WM. He put the company on his back and ran with it: did you really think they were going to let the AEW guy saunter in and take the mantle from him at WM? Please.

The NWO used to be money as well. 

The populist arguments about durr they drew over 81k they're a 20 billion dollar company are so funny. As if Marvel movies are the best films made each year and beyond criticism because of how much they gross. Why even bother consuming art or sports or entertainment if you're beholden to the logic that as long as it's the most popular and highest grossing it must be "the best"? Is McDonald's your favorite food because they have the most locations worldwide?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

We then have a fundamental difference of opinion on what is good about wrestling. 

Not really? Just because I don’t like one story, and you do, doesn’t mean we disagree about what’s good about wrestling.

Bloodline isn’t to WWE what Sopranos was to television. That’s just fucking insane. Maybe we wait a few years after the story is done to proclaim such absurd things.

• Like 2

I probably have way too much "not my money, not my problem" energy about this whole thing.

Unless you're at the show or somehow still buying PPVs 10 years into the WWE Network, the only money you really spent to see Wrestlemania was however you got access to Peacock. Some of the reaction really seems like the glory days of paying $50 for every PPV.

Maybe following one sports team that tends to make good decisions and one sports team that tends to fuck up their prospects makes me a little more amused that the concept of outrage that the WWE is doing WWE things.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, A_K said:

Nah. That's not where its going 🔮

Roman is money. He'll drop the belts this year, but he wasn't doing it at WM. He put the company on his back and ran with it: did you really think they were going to let the AEW guy saunter in and take the mantle from him at WM? Please.

Funny you mention that.  Tell me did Roman Reigns winning the title over Brock at summerslam really feel more important than if he won it at WM 34 main event?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Bingo. Somewhat amusing that the "long term booking!" crowd fail to see the wood for the trees on this. Was clearly the smartest way to go. Great avenues of character build for 7 top-of-the-card stars. The arc has been built brilliantly and methodically. All 7 are benefitting enormously.

• Like 1

I think Cody losing is a bad call, but at the same time, fuck him with a rusty rake for playing inter-promotional politics with Brodie Jr. as a prop. What a piece of shit thing to do.

(I don't really think Vince made the call.)

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Funny you mention that.  Tell me did Roman Reigns winning the title over Brock at summerslam really feel more important than if he won it at WM 34 main event?  

Does not need to "feel more important" for the individual Cody going over. Needs to be good for the overall narrative arc of the television show. This is the aspect people missed with AEW while they sent it into oblivion on adderall fuelled ADHD short-term booking. 

If Cody had gone over tonight, short of Roman going on leave-of-absence they had nowhere to go. Roman would have needed a rematch, and if Cody went over consecutively it buries a star they just invested years into at the top of the card. Not to mention neutering the other angles at play. This was the sensible move. They have just delivered quality-build after quality-build up and down the card. Usos will be brought into play when he is going to drop it for real. Time, as ever, will tell 🔮

Edited by A_K

What’s interesting to me is I kinda feel like there are some similarities between the choice not to strap up Cody tonight and the choice not to strap up Roman at WM31. In both cases, I think they overthought a situation and missed The Moment. In Roman’s case, it set them back YEARS. I suppose we’ll see what the ramifications of this choice will be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When someone implies that WWE is crumbling and people don't watch anymore etc etc.. which directly opposes what the facts are.....   

I said that I, personally, watch once a year, dum-dum. I never said nor implied the company was crumbling or that the ratings were bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When someone implies that WWE is crumbling and people don't watch anymore etc etc.. which directly opposes what the facts are.....   

They didn't say that though, they were merely stating their own opinions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

I think Cody losing is a bad call, but at the same time, fuck him with a rusty rake for playing inter-promotional politics with Brodie Jr. as a prop. What a piece of shit thing to do.

I teared up when he gave the weight belt to Brodie's kid

Can't you quit the WWE vs. AEW shit for one night?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Exactly. This is also why lately the only WWE match I watch each year is the Mania main event (as long as I can stream it somewhere/watch it at my brother's house). It's exciting seeing if Roman will lose or not but when he wins it just makes me not want to follow again until next year's Mania when the stakes are back up. ” - @Belgian_Waffle

This is what you quoted. He stated “I” a lot and mentions nothing about crumbling or other people not watching the show. Is this the post you meant to quote? Because this is clearly his opinion and has nothing to do with what you are implying he said here.

People can have a difference of opinion and be disappointed in a product without it being twisted into them saying other people won’t enjoy it or they are failing as a company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Reading (admittedly, way) between the lines on Hunter’s answer just now at the presser as to why Cody didn’t go over, I got a vibe that he was concerned the fans would turn on him at some point later in the run.

That didn't stop them from keeping Roman on the top of the card after The Shield split.

15 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I don't disagree, but the thing is you can do pretty much the same storyline without Roman having the belt. As much as I'd like to see Jey finally stand up to Roman, I can't see him as world champ at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I'm with you Greg.  I've wanted The Bloodline story to finish with Jey Uso the whole time.  Would not have been mad at Cody winning AT ALL..  I think people are confusing the two. The story started with Jey and I'd prefer it ends with Jey.   If it does end with Jey,  I don't think that's "bad booking"  I think that's great booking...  

• Like 3