DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

I wish I hadn't seen the Phil Hartman interview on Stern years ago where Phil said Reubens was supposed to give him 50% of the profits of everything involving the Pee-wee Herman character but never did, and Phil was too nice to take him to court, so their friendship just ended

Definitely clouded my opinion of the guy - Los Angeles in the 80s was just everyone ratfucking each other left and right

Let's not forget Paul was in Blow (RIP George Jung too)

He wrote an apology letter for not being open about his diagnosis. You can find it in the wild out there. I saw it on Facebook; I'm not trying to look it up and post it because it absolutely crushed me and I don't want to be responsible for the same for anyone else. 

He was, above all else, our friend. 

EDIT: Here's another clip from another film involving him and a certain, errr, substance

Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams (1981) - Under the Table Scene (4/10) | Movieclips - YouTube

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5

On 8/4/2023 at 10:12 AM, Zimbra said:

Mark Margolis, best known as Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad and one of Darren Aronofsky's regular actors, passed away at age 83.

He was also terrific in Oz

• Like 1

Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble on King of the Hill, has passed away at the age of either 59 or 64, depending on the source.

He really only had that one role but goddamit he acted the hell out of it.

• Sad 1

I hate that this is the opportunity to get this off my chest, but Dale was the funniest part of -- and I've been keeping quiet about this for a long long time -- what is not a very funny show. 

It just isn't. Bobby can be funny. Dale is funny. Boomhauer is funny but is one single note of a joke/character. Hank drives me up the wall. Peggy REALLY drives me up the wall. Luanne (and bless Brittany Murphy forever and a day) makes me want to put my head through said wall most of the time. Bill, you just feel sorry for all the time. It really doesn't add up to a whole lot of laughs to me, instead coming off like a compendium of people with social and behavioral issues that you just wish had more self-awareness about concerning their lives. 

Dunno, I have been feeling this with other cartoons recently too. Archer had me for a minute but became a train wreck of characters just constantly insulting each other. Rick and Morty is the utter pits: a show about a total sociopath dragging an innocent child with a broken family through one disaster after another, learning nothing and just getting worse as a person. Then I tried to watch Teenage Euthanasia last night and it came off like a script written by a bot that only has English language knowledge of current internet buzzwords. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hate that this is the opportunity to get this off my chest, but Dale was the funniest part of -- and I've been keeping quiet about this for a long long time -- what is not a very funny show. 

It just isn't. Bobby can be funny. Dale is funny. Boomhauer is funny but is one single note of a joke/character. Hank drives me up the wall. Peggy REALLY drives me up the wall. Luanne (and bless Brittany Murphy forever and a day) makes me want to put my head through said wall most of the time. Bill, you just feel sorry for all the time. It really doesn't add up to a whole lot of laughs to me, instead coming off like a compendium of people with social and behavioral issues that you just wish had more self-awareness about concerning their lives. 

Dunno, I have been feeling this with other cartoons recently too. Archer had me for a minute but became a train wreck of characters just constantly insulting each other. Rick and Morty is the utter pits: a show about a total sociopath dragging an innocent child with a broken family through one disaster after another, learning nothing and just getting worse as a person. Then I tried to watch Teenage Euthanasia last night and it came off like a script written by a bot that only has English language knowledge of current internet buzzwords. 🤷‍♂️

You're not wrong. 

Wow! The Bobby as a model and Bobby kicking everyone in the balls are both in my top 10 of funniest episodes of any tv show. Also, Buck Strickland is one of the funniest semi-recurring characters in tv history and Gilbert Fontaine Dauterive was one of the funniest one off characters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Wow! The Bobby as a model and Bobby kicking everyone in the balls are both in my top 10 of funniest episodes of any tv show. Also, Buck Strickland is one of the funniest semi-recurring characters in tv history and Gilbert Fontaine Dauterive was one of the funniest one off characters.

King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows to this day. It's the only show I currently watch on live TV with ads. There's two big blocks of KOTH that air daily and I usually catch a couple of episodes every day. I just watched the one where Bobby might be a Lama, and it's so funny and so sweet. RIP Johnny Hardwick.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble on King of the Hill, has passed away at the age of either 59 or 64, depending on the source.

He really only had that one role but goddamit he acted the hell out of it.

That's just what the government wants you to think. </Gribble>

But man, that's awful. Had no idea he was that young.

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows to this day. It's the only show I currently watch on live TV with ads. There's two big blocks of KOTH that air daily and I usually catch a couple of episodes every day. I just watched the one where Bobby might be a Lama, and it's so funny and so sweet. RIP Johnny Hardwick.

King of the Hill is probably my favorite animated comedy. I have every episode and the first dozen seasons of The Simpsons downloaded and will play on random when I go to bed most nights. It's total comfort food in tv format that will usually ensure my day ends on a somewhat high note. It's funny how in the opening scene of the series they mention Seinfeld when the show is basically Seinfeld in smalltown Texas (Hank = Jerry, Bill = George, Dale = Kramer, I guess Elaine is Boomhauer? Kahn is definitely Newman). The last time I watched The 'Burbs I also noticed what a parallel that show is as well. I kept hearing new episodes were going to get made, and I wonder if this puts the kibosh on that? No Lucky and Luanne is addition by subtraction, but there's no show without Dale.

• Like 1