DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV - 2023

I wonder if the plan is to still dump all of the episodes at once. I hope so, I don’t pay for these streaming services to only have shows release weekly like it’s ordinary television. I know that’s the path most of these streamers are moving towards, but it still irks me to no end. It’s why I’m not starting Loki S2 until next week.

Echo looks like the most hardcore violent Marvel series since the Punisher. Just from the preview, the violence level and blood look like it’s pretty close to being on par with the Punisher. That’s pretty surprising for Disney.

On the other hand, I kinda expect this to suck if they’re just dumping everything all at once. This thing has probably been in the can for awhile and it seems like they just want to offload it. Also, Echo was only interesting in the Daredevil books YEARS ago when she was whooping his ass every issue.

Echo will be the first show to be under the “Marvel Spotlight” banner.

Marvel Spotlight gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen, and in the case of Echo, focusing on street-level stakes over larger MCU continuity. Just like comics fans didn’t need to read Avengers or Fantastic Four to enjoy a Ghost Rider Spotlight comic, our audience doesn’t need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what’s happening in Maya’s story.

The same article I got this from on Marvel’s website confirms that all 5 episodes will drop at once. This might be the norm for Spotlight shows, maybe?

And for what it’s worth, The Hollywood Reporter says “tonally” the scenes shown to the press invoke Breaking Bad, Netflix’s Daredevil and John Wick. Also said that the show seems more like Marvel’s version of a cable drama rather than their standard MCU streaming series fare. 

I mean how is that possible considering Kingpin Fisk and Daredevil are both in it? 

IMHO they botched Kingpin's return and Echo's introduction in Hawkeye. Not to mention, they are jettisoning Echo's photographic reflex skills and instead giving her a new power set which is way less grounded than photographic reflexes. 

The fact that they deleted most of Kingpin's scenes from Hawkeye makes me question whether Marvel has no idea what they are doing with their TV shows.  And I think it's time for Kevin Feige to step down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The fact that they deleted most of Kingpin's scenes from Hawkeye makes me question whether Marvel has no idea what they are doing with their TV shows.  And I think it's time for Kevin Feige to step down.

Are there any hints that Feige is remotely the problem? Him stepping down just sounds like a good way to get everything completely screwed up and put the MCU on a path of constant reboots like the DCU is going through.

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Are there any hints that Feige is remotely the problem? Him stepping down just sounds like a good way to get everything completely screwed up and put the MCU on a path of constant reboots like the DCU is going through.

I mean yes. He's the CEO of Marvel Studios. These problems started happening when TV and animation divisions were folded into Marvel Studios, and he was supposed to be taking an active role in the TV projects now. 

Not to mention all the VFX worker issues, which they mostly pinned on Victoria Alonso. He's the freaking boss. How is he not responsible of any of this?

Edited by TheVileOne

Disney owns Marvel, run by Kevin Feige. It also owns Star Wars, run by Kathleen Kennedy. 

Star Wars has been a shambolic, declining franchise throughout Kathleen Kennedy's reign. Marvel has gone from strength to strength comparatively, despite starting from a much lower starting point.

Kathleen Kennedy has not been asked to step down, nor has she offered to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The fact that Marvel has been as successful as it has been, while managing to pull a huge, interconnected universe while still giving directors/writers an apparently large degree of free reign is pretty impressive.  They’ve got a cold streak after their first huge payoff, but they’ve also hit that Star Wars point where different people want and expect different things from it.

Overall, I’m just amused by people complaining about everything being interconnected, when that’s just comics after a certain point.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

And I think it's time for Kevin Feige to step down.

How far off are we from the Marvel Spotlight was a waste of money posts? We need to separate MCU and Marvel Spotlight completely. Feige bought it with no real plan for it. Marvel Spotlight needs to be the developmental brand. Get the Marvel Spotlight characters off of MCU TV.

(For those that don't understand this post, he posts all these same things about TK in the AEW forum in regards to ROH) lol.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
added context
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Disney owns Marvel, run by Kevin Feige. It also owns Star Wars, run by Kathleen Kennedy. 

Star Wars has been a shambolic, declining franchise throughout Kathleen Kennedy's reign. Marvel has gone from strength to strength comparatively, despite starting from a much lower starting point.

Kathleen Kennedy has not been asked to step down, nor has she offered to.

Not really. Kathleen Kennedy produced four Star Wars movies that all made over $1 billion worldwide. She also oversaw The Mandalorian with the introduction of Grogu which made Disney tons of money. Also, Kathleen Kennedy was George Lucas' appointed president. He handpicked her to run the studio.

How far off are we from the Marvel Spotlight was a waste of money posts? We need to separate MCU and Marvel Spotlight completely. Feige bought it with no real plan for it. Marvel Spotlight needs to be the developmental brand. Get the Marvel Spotlight characters off of MCU TV.

(For those that don't understand this post, he posts all these same things about TK in the AEW forum in regards to ROH) lol.

But all of those things are are true. And AEW fired CM Punk.

Edited by TheVileOne

The two MCU movies that came out this year made $1.3b total. Crowing on about Star Wars movies that came out years ago is odd, since Feige is still producing movies that generate hundreds of millions every year.

Star Wars have had less live action shows than Marvel, but just pointing out one huge success while Boba Fett and Obi-Wan exist and weren’t all that great (haven’t seen Ahsoka yet).

I’m pretty sure Feige’s box office record since Disney aquired Marvel dwarfs Kathleen’s Star Wars run thus far. Grogu might be popular but let’s not pretend it’s at the peak that it was, or that Marvel characters don’t do just as well.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2023 at 10:51 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, the show got a new name... again. 

It's now Agatha: Darkhold Diaries

NEW TITLE TIME!

This show will now be Agatha All Along.

This is it's 4th title.

• Haha 1