DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV - 2023

Daredevil has basically been gutted and is being creatively rebooted - the writers and directors have been let go. According to Hollywood Reporter, they might “keep some scenes and episodes” but Feige wasn’t happy with the footage he was seeing (they say the show was resembling more of a legal procedural). They noted that, of the episodes shot, Charlie Cox doesn’t even suit up until episode 4 or 5.

This doesn’t just extend to Daredevil. Marvel has decided to start having showrunners that will have to write pilots and show bibles (like normal TV), they want multi season shows instead of limited series so characters can be built up and have stories and relationships.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Daredevil has basically been gutted and is being creatively rebooted - the writers and directors have been let go. According to Hollywood Reporter, they might “keep some scenes and episodes” but Feige wasn’t happy with the footage he was seeing (they say the show was resembling more of a legal procedural). They noted that, of the episodes shot, Charlie Cox doesn’t even suit up until episode 4 or 5.

This doesn’t just extend to Daredevil. Marvel has decided to start having showrunners that will have to write pilots and show bibles (like normal TV), they want multi season shows instead of limited series so characters can be built up and have stories and relationships.

Holy shit.

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

After 2 1/2 years of making TV shows Marvel is finally figuring out how to make TV shows.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here's an idea...just scrap Daredevil, Echo, Ironheart, and whatever other fodder they had in the D+ pipeline. Give us like 3 good TV series and make the movies awesome.

While we're at it, scrap the Eternals and Blade as well. Blade is never seeing the light of day and Mahershala Ali is going to be looking old as fuck by the time it actually gets made. No one will give a fuck and no one will remember except for nerds and comic cons.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Supposedly they killed off Karen and Foggy in the new series so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

That's...like...what? What kind of DC bullshit writing is that? Jesus Christ. Yeah, definitely a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Supposedly they killed off Karen and Foggy in the new series so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

That's...like...what? What kind of DC bullshit writing is that? Jesus Christ. Yeah, definitely a blessing in disguise.

In the very first episode allegedly. Fucking stupid.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:29 AM, Casey said:

Daredevil has basically been gutted and is being creatively rebooted - the writers and directors have been let go. 

Marvel has decided to start having showrunners that will have to write pilots and show bibles (like normal TV), they want multi season shows instead of limited series so characters can be built up and have stories and relationships.

paragraph 1: not a fan. were the DD writers/directors/etc. the same group that was involved with the Netflix series? because if so, they should be given some extra leeway at the very least. if not, that still sucks, but i'd rather a good show than a mediocre new season.

paragraph 2: ok, shouldn't that have been happening since the beginning?

i may have said this in another thread, but much like @the Natural, my interest is at an all-time low. wake me up when the X-Men '97 animated series debuts. everything else could be torpedoed and i would be just fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

This is 100% a result of the strike.  This was -- along with the focus towards ongoing series instead of 6 episode "events" -- one of the biggest things the writers won with the new contract.

• Like 2

I should be suprised that "being able to actually do our fucking jobs with the right tools" was something that needed to be won in a strike, but after spending 25 years in Corporate World/Big Box management, I not suprised at all.

• Like 3

While never publicly announced by Marvel as being greenlit (but was through reputable trades) - the rumor going around right now, mainly from Joanna Robinson, the author “The Reign of Marvel Studios”, is that Wonder-Man has been cancelled despite having already been filming for around 3 months prior to the strike.

Vision Quest has already been rumored to be merged into the Young Avengers series/movie, and I’m going to assume next on the chopping block is Coogler’s Wakanda stuff.

Scrap it all.  Get better writers.  Get better showrunners (or showrunners period).  Stop needlessly changing the characters.  Make compelling stories.  If the project involves fighting, please allow enough time to train all involved so they look competent (more Hayden Christiansen commitment and fluidity and less Rosario Dawson reciting each step in her head).  Make better villains.  Keep Charlie Cox as Daredevil and D'Onofrio as Kingpin.  

These are my suggestions.  I expect them to do less than half.  

On 10/12/2023 at 11:28 PM, twiztor said:

paragraph 1: not a fan. were the DD writers/directors/etc. the same group that was involved with the Netflix series? because if so, they should be given some extra leeway at the very least. if not, that still sucks, but i'd rather a good show than a mediocre new season.

i may have said this in another thread, but much like @the Natural, my interest is at an all-time low. wake me up when the X-Men '97 animated series debuts. everything else could be torpedoed and i would be just fine.

Thanks, mate xxx.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

I look forward to 2050 when this cycle comes around again and they're directly beaming stuff into our brains and everyone's trying to put out as much content as possible to get brainstreaming off the ground.

brainstreaming is a fantastic word and i fully expect that whatever term they come up with will be less clever and cool.

19 hours ago, roofiethebutcher said:

Scrap it all.  Get better writers.  Get better showrunners (or showrunners period).  Stop needlessly changing the characters.  Make compelling stories.  If the project involves fighting, please allow enough time to train all involved so they look competent (more Hayden Christiansen commitment and fluidity and less Rosario Dawson reciting each step in her head).  Make better villains.  Keep Charlie Cox as Daredevil and D'Onofrio as Kingpin.  

These are my suggestions.  I expect them to do less than half.  

They gave Finn Jones plenty of time to train Martial Arts for Iron Fist and he couldn't be bothered to actually go and do it.

Should have had him in the full costume and mask, so they could have his stunt double do all of the fighting. And the acting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

They gave Finn Jones plenty of time to train Martial Arts for Iron Fist and he couldn't be bothered to actually go and do it.

Complete opposite. They only gave him 3 weeks, had him training on the job and taking away time to sleep as result, and he was only learning about his fight scenes 15 minutes in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

New showrunner and directors announced for Daredevil:

Dario Scardapane is showrunner (Jack Ryan, The Punisher) and the directors that’ll helm the rest of the episodes that haven’t already been shot are Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead (Loki, The Endless, Synchronic).

Apparently they’re keeping the first few episodes that have already been shot. But retooling the rest of the season and incorporating what was filmed already to fit with what they’re doing post-creative reboot 

Rumor is that most of that stuff was

Spoiler

Foggy’s death and the trial of the White Tiger (Hector)