DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

On 11/5/2023 at 8:20 AM, Andrew POE! said:

For one or two people that might care, Warface Breakout servers are shutting down on April 30, 2024. I got the platinums for North American & European versions on Friday bringing my Platinum count to 307 platinums.

Warface Breakout it's an accurate description of my complexion in high school. 

• Haha 2

While it's been my "kill 30 to 60 minutes" game since it came out, I decided to try unlocking all of the alternate moves for the characters in Streets of Rage 4 which requires you to play survival mode with the characters enough times to unlock the moves. I have everyone unlocked except for Roo which I just learned was a bonus character in the DLC. Looking at the trophy list, I can finish off the DLC once I have his moves unlocked. 

With the alternate moves, some are better than others but the extra time with the roster has made me think about how to use everyone in different ways and makes me rethink using Adam as my main guy. I'm glad for survival mode since it mixes up the characters and keeps the game fresh enough for me.

• Like 1

WILD HEARTS just got added to Game Pass so I guess I'll be trying that. I've read they fixed some of the launch issues, but also that EA is done adding anything to the game since it didn't sell like they wanted. I know, shocking EA decision. But I love Monster Hunter so I'll give it a go for the price of free. Opting for console though since apparently the game on PC has some technical problems.

Finished off Trek to Yomi the other day not a bad game aside from the timing issues with combos which can cause some issues with the later fights since you'll need to stun enemies so you can finish them off to get health back. Not sure what to start from the massive backlog of the following:

Both Horizon games

Ghosts of Tushima

Borderlands 3

FF7 Remake

Nier Automata

Sifu

FFX (would be a replay from when I had it on PS2 back in the day)

RE: Code Veronica (same, except Dreamcast)

Subnatuica

Ghostwire Tokyo

Control

Suggestions are welcome.

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Suggestions are welcome.

Code Veronica X is so far-and-away my favorite Resident Evil game. It's so sincerely silly. The unending comedic barrage of Steve is enough to seal it for me. The twist is as camp as the series ever got. But it's not an "easy" game if you're playing blind, it benefits from maintaining more that a few save slots and peeping an FAQ here and there (have ammo for the plane).

Yeah nothing else in the series hits like that one, even if RE2 and 4 still tickle me. And I have no idea if those cowards will ever have the guff to remake it.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Play Subnautica which is not at all scary in any way and won't get into your head at all. Large bodies of open water don't bother me one bit.

Yeah, uh, what he said.

9 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Finished off Trek to Yomi the other day not a bad game aside from the timing issues with combos which can cause some issues with the later fights since you'll need to stun enemies so you can finish them off to get health back. Not sure what to start from the massive backlog of the following:

Both Horizon games

Ghosts of Tushima

Borderlands 3

FF7 Remake

Nier Automata

Sifu

FFX (would be a replay from when I had it on PS2 back in the day)

RE: Code Veronica (same, except Dreamcast)

Subnatuica

Ghostwire Tokyo

Control

Suggestions are welcome.

Play both Horizon games and Ghost of Tsushima and maybe go for the Platinums for all three. Even if you don't, they are glorious on a HDTV.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Code Veronica X is so far-and-away my favorite Resident Evil game. It's so sincerely silly. The unending comedic barrage of Steve is enough to seal it for me. The twist is as camp as the series ever got. But it's not an "easy" game if you're playing blind, it benefits from maintaining more that a few save slots and peeping an FAQ here and there (have ammo for the plane).

Yeah nothing else in the series hits like that one, even if RE2 and 4 still tickle me. And I have no idea if those cowards will ever have the guff to remake it.

Oh yeah, I had it on Dreamcast back in the day (I think I might still have the disc in a box in the basement at my moms house), I remember playing it for a bit, stopping because of something and talking to a buddy about it a few weeks later and he almost spoiled the plot twist but caught himself and just told me I had to finish it. I think I got a guide from GameFaqs and beat it after that.

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Play Subnautica which is not at all scary in any way and won't get into your head at all. Large bodies of open water don't bother me one bit.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, uh, what he said.

Wait is Subnautica scary? I can't tell if ya'll are both being sarcastic or not.

I guess I’ll be the guy to suggest Control. The gameplay is fun, what with the shape shifting gun and the powers you get, but the atmosphere, lore and main story (and the DLCs!) are all just out of this world fantastic.

Easily Remedy’s best work they’ve done - I haven’t played Alan Wake 2 yet, though. 

• Like 2

What's funny is I clearly must think about things differently than everyone else

Trek to Yomi was just finished. To me the next game I played would so not be similar themed so I would totally avoid

• Ghosts of Tushima
  • Sifu
  • Ghostwire Tokyo

But the correct answer is Horizon Zero Dawn

And no... they are not being sarcastic

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm going through a mental thing or what but I just can't find a game I want to play.  Games I've tried and discarded after one session recently:

• Doom (2016): dull, no plot (don't know what I was expecting).  Walk.  Kill.  Walk.  Kill.  Repeat.
  • Gotham Knights: not in the same league as Arkham Asylum & City, janky destination points and unintuitive layout/camera, complicated level up system
  • House Flipper: not much to it, not as fun/relaxing as Powerwash Sumulator
  • Dead Space remake: I've already beaten Dead Space (original), not enough new to bring me back.  And how do you make changes to an old game but not remove SAVE STATIONS in 2023?  Somewhat complicated level up system
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden Game With Too Many Words In The Title: First sitdown consisted of two very short "missions" and some VERY LOOOOONG cutscenes.  Then I'm treated to the worst, most disorienting minimap I've ever encountered.  Also complicated level up system

What is it with this trend of managing the act of leveling your guy up via some sort of crafting system, choosing what to level up, and learning all this stuff?   Holy shit is it not fun, yet so many games have it today.  How about having my guy just get better passively or through some method that's, you know, fun?  Like a Dragon shows you all the stuff you can spend XP (or something) on to level up and it's just daunting.  I really liked Crackdown 3, where you get stronger by punching people, jump higher by collecting orbs (which are fun to collect!), shoot better by shooting people, etc.  Or RDR2, where you just get more stamina, better Dead Eye, etc. through just playing the game.  I don't want to choose between, say, upping stamina or Dead Eye, then worry I've made the wrong choice. 

Anyway, thanks for reading.  😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Sad Trombone for Starfield 

It was to be expected.  I love the game but it suffers from the same woes as other Bethesda titles..

I am kinda baffled that a new IP was not nominated over a bunch of sequels, but Starfield got the Golden Joystick GOTY for the XBox plaform so it's not like the game will go completely unheralded.

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I said online, it's not like starfield came out in February and people forgot about. It's been out 3 months, but how many of those nominees came out after it? Most I think. 

It got a nom for Best RPG but it's in there with BG3, Lies of P, and Sea of Stars, and honestly it should probably lose to one of those three games.

Game Awards use to be a filler program on Spike TV so I am not sure why we should be offended or even care about Starfield not making their GoTY noms.  I'd rather my new game make the Best Of or Top 10 lists of some industry standards instead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess you'd always like to see something you like get praised/awarded. 

I suppose that's true, but I'd rather receive accolades from respected industry enclaves.  When E3 and G4 still mattered, I felt that whatever got E3 Best of Show or G-Phoria GoTY was a huge deal.

VGAs don't really carry weight with me, but they have gotten more things right than wrong.  I am still baffled on how Sekiro beat Outer Worlds for GoTY in 2019, but they did have the good taste to pimp Disco Elysium to the moon.

Edited by J.T.