DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I re-installed Skyrim and a bunch of mods.

Good bye, everyone, it was nice knowing you.

I may end up playing Skyrim or 2077 again until the next big Starfield update.  I am loving the story, but the game world glitches are starting to annoy me. 

Sneaked up behind a Spacer in an abandoned facility on some planet i was surveying to earn ship upgrade creds for the Star Eagle, thwacked him with my katana, and the body just hung there in mid-air.  Reloaded the save I took before killing the guy and the corpse fell to the ground with a thud.

Bethesda needs to do something about the game physics.

Edited by J.T.

It's annoying as hell that some of the best Skyrim mods are dependant on the Script Extender which you just can't install through the game so you end up with two launchers and it's a bitch to get things running smooth at first, but at least once you get going it's still Skyrim.

Honestly I am liking Fallout 4 a lot more than I expected overall as well, again with a ton of mods.

Starfield is going to have a wild, wild next 5 years.

• Like 1

Probably not the correct thread (if there is one), but I just discovered that Raspberry Pi 5 is coming out at the end of the month. The specs look really nice (4x2.4 GHz ARM CPU, 800 MHz Broadcom GPU, 4 or 8 GByte RAM, integrated power button ...). For Retropie people, this should advance the possibilities by a generation. N64 seems to run almost smoothly for some people hacking around with non optimized emulators, for example. GameCube should also be feasible.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:29 PM, Eivion said:

Pity, I liked Hines even though it felt like he was mostly there to take hits for Todd when less than thrilling news was going to occur. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Howard will be retiring as well in not too distant future. He's about the same age as Pete Hines - I pretty much see him doing Elder Scrolls 6 and maybe start on Fallout 5 and that's it.

5 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Howard will be retiring as well in not too distant future. He's about the same age as Pete Hines - I pretty much see him doing Elder Scrolls 6 and maybe start on Fallout 5 and that's it.

He did talk about eventually retiring earlier in the year so you may be onto something. Still as much shit as people give him Howard is also pretty beloved so I can see Microsoft trying to get him to stick around as long as possible.

• Like 1

Speaking of Bethesda, I'm honestly kind of shocked how much I'm loving Fallout 4. For years I heard a lot of Fallout fans kind of pooh pooh it but man, this game's really solid. Once you get through the pre-war sequence, the start is kind of slow. But then the quest log starts filling up and honestly, it's pretty fucking great. Helps that I'm only accessing it now with like 5 years of the modders going buck wild but even so, there's no reason at all to judge the game without that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Speaking of Bethesda, I'm honestly kind of shocked how much I'm loving Fallout 4. For years I heard a lot of Fallout fans kind of pooh pooh it but man, this game's really solid. Once you get through the pre-war sequence, the start is kind of slow. But then the quest log starts filling up and honestly, it's pretty fucking great. Helps that I'm only accessing it now with like 5 years of the modders going buck wild but even so, there's no reason at all to judge the game without that.

Fallout 4 has a solid and interesting story alongside some pretty good side quests. The issue is its nowhere near as dense as 3 or NV were, and it has an incomplete feel. Settlements were a neat addition but well undercooked. One of the main factions never had much of it's proper quests implemented, nor was it's part in the main story well executed. You have multiple cut questlines. The Far Harbor DLC is good though a little annoying when you realize it likely stole and rewrote a Children of Atom questline intended for the main game. The second big DLC in Nuka World has a lot of fun aspects, but no true complete story like Far Harbor including the lack of a proper good guy route. Even the general evil route is not well developed.

I loved playing Fallout 4 despite its issues, but it's definitely a game where you can see how much better it would have been with an extra year of development behind it. You can also see how it might disappoint a good amount after how strong New Vegas was.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I think Fallout 3 is white bread bland, it's never been able to hook me. It's probably my least favourite Fallout game (not counting 76 which I haven't played).

I highly recommend the Sim Settlements 2 mods, there's 3 of them and they massively expand the settlements in a good way while also adding a full DLC worth of quests while they are at it. 

• Like 2

I don't have a remotely decent enough computer to play Fallout 4 with mods. The Sim Settlements mods looked neat every time I saw something about them so its nice to hear they're worthwhile. One of these days when i get a new computer maybe I will go that route.

So far I actually don't dislike any of the Fallout games I've played (3, NV, 4, & 76). All them were decently fun despite the flaws. 

I am happy that Sony has finally decided to do some market analysis instead of just throwing money at things, but they are about to pay someone six figures to give them the advice that PC players would give them for free if only Sony would actually pay attention to Twitter and Reddit.

Matter of fact, let's save the analyst some time.  Here is what PC peeps want from Sony:

1. Day / Date releases.
  2. If not, then do not charge full price for the PC port.
  3. Port the games that PC players would probably enjoy (Ghost of Tsushima, yes.  Sackboy, no)

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am happy that Sony has finally decided to do some market analysis instead of just throwing money at things, but they are about to pay someone six figures to give them the advice that PC players would give them for free if only Sony would actually pay attention to Twitter and Reddit.

Matter of fact, let's save the analyst some time.  Here is what PC peeps want from Sony:

1. Day / Date releases.
  2. If not, then do not charge full price for the PC port.
  3. Port the games that PC players would probably enjoy (Ghost of Tsushima, yes.  Sackboy, no)

4. Make sure PC ports are of the same quality as console versions. The Last of Us Part I had a terrible launch on PC and Naughty Dog were part of the ones (along with Iron Galaxy) doing the port!

I'm also hoping they'll have more PS3/PS4 games get PC ports (Puppeteer and Tokyo Jungle on a modern PC would be marvelous).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

4. Make sure PC ports are of the same quality as console versions. The Last of Us Part I had a terrible launch on PC and Naughty Dog were part of the ones (along with Iron Galaxy) doing the port!

I am not sure if "same quality" are the words I would use.  "Better optimization" might be more accurate. 

One of the problems with most of these ports is that they can't handle 60 fps threshold in Performance Mode. 

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm also hoping they'll have more PS3/PS4 games get PC ports (Puppeteer and Tokyo Jungle on a modern PC would be marvelous).

I agree.  Why let those games be lost in time when you could port them to PC for all to play whenever they wanted to?

Andrew and I should split the six figure salary.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 7:10 PM, Death From Above said:

No, I don't think I will.

I had to laugh at their Season 2 videos.

I can't think of a game that had a faster rise and a harder fall once the millions of people who bought it all got to the same point at the same time and said "fuck this, I'm out." And I'm one of those people. Nothing quite like being almost level 90 and going over a month without replacing one piece of gear because nothing was close to being as good as some of the gear I got in my 70s. It's the worst looting experience I've ever had from a game focused on looting.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

I'm hoping it'll be like Diablo 3, which started extremely rough and got patched into something good, but I think there's a better chance that MS just abandons it.

I still haven't even beat the campaign and probably have put more hours into D3 than D4 since it came out.

The graphics for the cutscenes in Spider-Man 2 are a noticeable downgrade from Miles Morales (haven’t played the SM1 remaster). Which is weird. Gameplay graphics are CRISP, but something with the cutscenes just look… off. I can’t put my finger on it.

Still pissed they don’t have a Sensational outfit for Peter (even if it was technically a Ben Reilly outfit but whatever). You can give me some of these horrible original looking suits but not the best suit of the 90s Spider-Man comics run. DAMNIT.

Peter & Harry definitely don’t look 27-28. And given that they were in high school a decade before this game (Harry says that), that’s supposed to be their ages.

Might not seem like it, but the 5 or so hours I’ve played so far - I love it. It’s more of the same that we got with the last two games, but I’m more than fine with that.

• Like 1