DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

I hadn't looked recently but are you over 300 yet? It's pretty remarkable how efficient you are at getting platinums. Are you a professional gamer/twitch guy?

Thanks. Compared to a lot of my PSN friends, I'm actually slower at getting platinums. I'm at 313 platinums now. I have no intention of being a professionial gamer or on Twitch. I'm pretty fucking boring.

If you have sigs turned on, you'll know what I just started playing.

This game is cheap, man. It forced me to steal a horse, then told me I could return it for good karma. So I did that, and the guy who owned it was all "Thanks for my horse back, you're a great guy!". Then he walked into me and accused me of hitting him and called me an asshole.

I went looking for Rabbits to hunt, and it turned out that the rabbit field was right next to a hideout for the villain gang. And all I had on me was a Longbow and a Varmint Rifle.

Bobby Kotick is officially stepping down as Activision Blizzard CEO next week (Dec 29 to be exact)

Microsoft has moved the rest of the Activision Blizzard executives to be under Matt Booty (Microsoft's game content and studios president)

Honestly I figure by summer 2024 there will be a bigger sale price on Baldur's Gate 3 plus the creation kit will launch for Starfield and it's entirely possible I also just ignore the year save a couple of Indie Suprises, like whatever the next Vampire Survivors turns out to be, you know?

• Like 1

Server shutdown announcements:

- The Crew is shutting down on March 31, 2024. I'm trying to Platinum it now. 😞

- Rocket Arena is shutting down on March 21, 2024. I already got the Platinum on PS4.

- Warface Breakout is shutting down on April 30, 2024. I Platinum'ed it back in September.

- Dark Souls II on PS3/Xbox 360 got announced as shutting down on March 31, 2024. I got the Platinum on it. Armored Core Verdict Day on PS3/Xbox 360 also got announced as shutting down on March 31, 2024. After The Crew, I'll be working on that.

- F1 2011/F1 2012/F1 2013/F1 2014/F1 Race Stars for PS3/Xbox 360 and Micro Machines World Tour on PS4/Xbox One are shutting down their servers on March 21, 2024. I don't have any of those games so it doesn't matter to me.

Not to mention the earlier announcement for January 31, 2024 that Gran Turismo Sport's servers are shutting down. I won't even bother with that due to the sweatiest of the sweatlords playing that game.

Edited by Andrew POE!

I played Against the Storm a bit since it got to 1.00 and became available on Game Pass. Sadly that game fights with the Game Pass cloud save and I just lost about 10 hours or so of progress. I will wait until the issues are fixed before touching the game again (the developer puts the blame on Microsoft and reading a bit on their technical explanation, I tend to agree with that assessment).

I haven't played many games on my Christmas vacation, but I am definitely into playing Suika Game before bed. As someone who played far too much of the Graffiti Ballz game in Arcade Paradise, this game scratches a particular puzzle itch. I wouldn't have known about it if not for the free download (and the platinum coins that Nintendo was offering for downloading and trying the game).

This is the first time that I've tried a game demo that Nintendo was promoting and then actually bought the game as a result. 

After 2-3 weeks of not gaming at all (finding the time to sneak away has been tough), I hopped around on a few games over the weekend via gamepass before jumping back  into SpiderMan 2. I bopped around on a few side quest/collectible chases before feeling like the game was starting to funnel me through the mainline. I have reached a spot I didn't anticipate if I was going to platinum this game on first playthrough (I never do but getting close would be nice).

Spoiler

I just reached the point where Peter gets the symbiote removed from him, and it ends back up on Harry followed by the fun Venom rampage section. Anyways, I didn't max out the abilities for the symbiote (I think I was one or two short) before reaching this section (I'm around level 35 of character progression). I'm curious if the post game lets you use the powers if you want. 

Re: Spider-Man 2 and the symbiote skill tree:

Spoiler

Yes, you get the abilities back.

Just in case you actually wanna know but don't want to Google it and have other things spoiled. 

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 2

I finished Spider Man 2 (easy mode because I’m old and just want a casual fun time) and went back to play Miles Morales, which I finished as well.  I had such a hard time with stealth and more advanced combat in SM2, but then in MM, the game actually walks you through how to do all that with Peter’s training sims.  So I had a much better time playing MM and loved the stealth stuff.  I guess SM2 just assumes you’ve played the first two, but that kinda sucked.

The Games I Played Through in This Awful Year of 2023!

Alan Wake Remastered - actually still working on playthrough no.2 (Nightmare diff). Really cool concept, writing, story etc but it's very much a game from the past. That said, I just had to buy the sequel for my likely first game of '24. Also, I'd already played Control, which was pretty rad. 

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - loved the first and Miles Morales' game, this was good but I feel like a little weaker in gameplay than the previous entries. Absolutely LOVED the improved next-gen NYC. Maybe on the PS6 we'll get to actually smell the random food carts, sidewalk garbage, and random whifs of human urine!

Sea of Stars - RPGs aren't my usual thing but this was free, lauded, and from the folks who did The Messenger, which I loved. I loved Sea of Stars.

GRIS - beautiful and made me cry at the end. Will replay soon to 100%.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge - so friggin good and the only time I've willingly played online with others this year.

Carrion - randomly tried the demo, dug it and game was like $8 on sale. Fun little horror Metroidvania. 

Sifu - probably my game played of the year. I want MORE. Such a well made short little game with incredibly satisfying gameplay. 

NiER: Automata - my oldest backlog game to get through this year. Really really liked it, super fun gameplay.

Stray - nice little palate cleanser between bigger games, loved the art style and story.

GoW: Ragnarok - what else is there to say about this awesome fuckin game??? Gonna get into the DLC in due time.

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 2

I guess I'll do mine for 2023. As always, everything listed is Platinum'ed.

• Infamous First Light - Quite fun to do, probably did inside of a week.
  • God of War III Remastered - Did this on PS3, decided to do it again.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS3)
  • Far Cry 3 (PS3) - Did the online trophies prior to a shutdown.
  • Crysis 2 (PS3) - Did online trophies years ago.
  • Battlefield 1 (PS4) - The Lawrence of Arabia section makes me want a standalone game with those characters.
  • Knockout City (PS4/PS5) - Server shutdown.
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow (PS3)
  • Syndicate (PS3) - Server shutdown. Really fun game. Has Brian Cox and Rosario Dawson in it.
  • Dreams (PS4)
  • Fall Guys (PS5)
  • Ark Survival Evolved (PS4) - Took 15 hours to do with command lines.
  • Rocket Arena (PS4) - Went ahead and did this and...it's shutting down next year.
  • Dead Island (PS3)
  • Destruction All Stars (PS5) - Will probably shut down next year.
  • Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (PS5)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PS4) - Actually fun to do.
  • Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (PS4/PS5)
  • Stranded Deep (PS4 US/PS4 UK) - For a few weeks, you could Platinum this by joining someone's game online.
  • Watch Dogs (PS3) - Will probably shut down next year.
  • Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
  • Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (PSVita)
  • God of War (2018) (PS4) - My 300th Platinum
  • Crysis 3 (PS3) - Servers shut down this month.
  • Null Drifter (PS4/PS5)
  • Dead Island Riptide (PS3)
  • Overwatch 2 (PS5) - Trophy autopop finally works.
  • Warface Breakout (PS4 US / PS4 UK) - Server shutdown in April.
  • Borderlands 2 (PS4)
  • Borderlands The Pre Sequel (PS3 / PS4)
  • Jack N Jill DX (PS4)
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3)
  • Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 (PS3)
  • Two crappy $1 games just to add Platinums before the end of the year

Playing through The Crew right now. I might have started on Forza Motorsport on GamePass. It feels too much like DriveClub.

Edited by Andrew POE!

sure!

Top 10 Games I played this year

1. Void Stranger
  2. Pizza Tower
  3. Street Fighter 6
  4. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
  5. Moonring
  6. Alan Wake II
  7. My House
  8. Super Mario Bros Wonder
  9. Cocoon
  10. Chants of Sennaar

Other games I liked this year

• Retro Bowl College
  • F-Zero 99
  • My Friendly Neighborhood
  • YEAH YOU WANT THOSE GAMES RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW LETS SEE YOU CLEAR THEM!
  • Terra Nil
  • Battlebit Remastered before they fucked it up
  • A bunch of stuff through the Netflix Games program
  • the Fortnite Racing Game
  • Age of Empires 4 on Xbox
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Pocket City 2
  • Quake 2 Rerelease

Old games I played this year

• Landstalker
  • Paper Mario
  • Grindstone
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • SO MUCH TETRIS
  • Castlevania Legends
  • Anodyne
  • DNF Duel

Games I didn't like, old or new

• Battlebit Remastered after they fucked it up
  • Redfall
  • Trepang2
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Fuga: Melodies of Steel
  • Maquette
  • Starfield
  • Lies of P
  • Paradise Killer
  • A bunch of stuff through the Netflix Games program

Games I Wanted To Play And Didnt

• Exoprimal (couldn't get people together)
  • The Tartarus Key (might do that tomorrow but maybe not)
  • El Paso Elsewhere (need more space between Alan Wake and this)
  • Weird West (it's $10 on steam rn but my save is on xbox)
  • Alien Hominid HD (waiting for people to come hang out)
  • Metal Gear Solid 1 re-release (reviews aint great)
  • 24 Killers (didn't seem like the right time (vulnerable))
  • Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (didn't seem like the right time (infuriating))

I have also cleared 500 written reviews on Backloggd, which can be found here.

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic